What's new

What's on my workbench right now

Four new brushes arrived today. Ebay is always an iffy thing but I think I did well here. I spent $22 with shipping for these and a bonus. The Butterscotch is very cool, it is very heavy and clearly bakelite. It and the little rubberset are behive-esque. The other two aren't super special but I love the green lettering on that ivory ever ready and will replace it with the same color.

$SANY0193.jpg$SANY0194.jpg$SANY0195.jpg$SANY0196.jpg

And here is the bonus. I wasn't sure about it in the auction but I love it. It has a very vintage feel and the celluloid top is flawless. And it came with some vintage Williams that I wasn't expecting. I'd have given $5 just to try that out.

$SANY0197.jpg

There's a whole genre of beehive brushes--many even more beehive-ish than these. Search beehive brush here on the forum, you will find many. But this one does have that vintage bakelite thing going for it.

Thanks, duderubble. I've seen beehive brushes before but the ribbing on that vintage brush is much finer than those I've seen before and that caught my eye! But I agree, the profile/contour of the brush could be more beehive-esque.

Might I suggest there is a thread going now that requests pictures of brush handle shapes. Yours are interesting and would be a good addition to that thread.

The State of the Butterscotch address:

This one has the funky swirls seen in Dr D's adoration brush. Would you take off the patina to reveal them? Tough decision.

$SANY0248.jpg

Butterscotch family portrait. Two have original knots they will probably keep, I've used both and they are fine, a bit floppy but probably pretty much like they were new. The two boars have VS boar knots, one is set (the rubberset black and butterscotch) and one is just sitting there. Probably won't stay. The two newest additions, including the swirled one will get a badger re-knot. Both of these are solid and very cool. Neither has a brand name.
$SANY0252.jpg

I had an idea the other day of making a shave brush using a shot glass as a handle. I have a really nice double shooter jig. I think filling it with an epoxy and drilling out or leaving a plug to put in the knot would work. Has anyone tried this before.

The State of the Butterscotch address:

This one has the funky swirls seen in Dr D's adoration brush. Would you take off the patina to reveal them? Tough decision.

View attachment 410907

Butterscotch family portrait. Two have original knots they will probably keep, I've used both and they are fine, a bit floppy but probably pretty much like they were new. The two boars have VS boar knots, one is set (the rubberset black and butterscotch) and one is just sitting there. Probably won't stay. The two newest additions, including the swirled one will get a badger re-knot. Both of these are solid and very cool. Neither has a brand name.
View attachment 410908

Yes, take off the patina, yes.

Do the knots from China work well? I am a newbie and want a better brush and was going to build one with a china knot. Whats your take on this?

The Golden Nib stocks knots so that you don't have to wait on the shipping from China. I've only used a finest badger, a synthetic and two boar knots but I've been pleased with those.

Do the knots from China work well? I am a newbie and want a better brush and was going to build one with a china knot. Whats your take on this?
I've installed about 12 knots from china based suppliers and three from American suppliers. IMHO the American suppliers are very good and consistent in size and quality, they also offer a wider variety of hair qualities at a price. My favorite to this point being the F2 finest, great backbone and very soft tips.

That said Virginia Sheng (China based) are just as good although they do not offer as many options.

IMO the Sheng knots offer a fantastic value. Shipping time for my last order was 7 days from the day I placed my order to delivery.

Top Bottom