What's new

What's involved in making a brush?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Easy...Drill a hole in the top with a forstner bit and epoxy in the knot that is 2 mm smaller than the hole.

The whole project is either making your own handle or trying to figure out how to get the old knot out of the vintage(or not) handle without destroying the handle. Really not as interesting as I had hoped. Maybe I need to make a handle.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
You can get knots from:
The Golden Nib
Shavemac
Virginia Sheng, or ACE on eBay.

The Golden Nib 2 Band Finest is a great knot.

Another thing to consider when making a wood handles is how to protect it from water. There are a wide variety of finish materials and techniques available. I prefer using cyanoacrylate as a durable finish.

Thanks for the info guys. It's not my intent to get into his in a big way. I want a second brush so I can keep one in my travel kit, so I thought I would take a stab at making one.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider when making a wood handles is how to protect it from water. There are a wide variety of finish materials and techniques available. I prefer using cyanoacrylate as a durable finish.

Yes, cyanoacrylate is what I was planning to use. I've used it before on pens and such and I like the way it turns out. (Pardon the pun.)

Where do you get the knot?

You can also buy an inexpensive boar brush and salvage the handle from that, some of the Omega brushes are plastic and it is very easy to remove and reuse the knot plus they are very affordable.

$image.jpg

For example this handle is plastic so drill a hole and knock the knot out, it has a plastic collar and can be pressed straight into a new brush.

This is a very keenly priced brush. http://tvbshaving.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=187

Good luck.

As everything else you do in woodworking...get a hunk of wood and remove everything that doesn't look like what you want...been doin it for years...ken

I thought I'd post an update. I finished the brush. The handle is turned out of ash and I used an 18 mm Silver Tip Premium knot from the Golden Nib.

Did my first shave with it this morning. My impressions are mixed at the moment. For the last three years, I've been using a Vulfix 1000A - my only brush until now. The new brush felt noticeably better on my face, but it did a lousy job of making lather. I used Old Spice Fresh Limes cream and worked up a decent lather in the scuttle. But when applying it to my face, there was not much lather there. Working it against my face did not seem to help. I'm not sure what I've done wrong, but I've had no trouble working up great lather with the Vulfix. I'll have to try the new brush with a soap puck tomorrow. One thing I've learned so far is that the Vulfix 1000A deserves far more praise than it typically gets.

Attachments

• $Brush_1.jpg
    $Brush_1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Handle and brush turned out great. As to the problem with lathering, the knot may just need breaking in. Or it may require a bit different technique than the Vulfix. Looks like you set the loft a bit low. That might make a difference as well.

Beautiful brush.

It's a silvertip so I'm sure that it will end up being great. Every brush takes getting accustomed to. The brush needs to settle in a bit too.

Let's assume the knot is 22mm, and the hole is 22mm as well. Does that work? I'm working on my own and ordered a 22mm knot already, but I just read that I should've gotten a 20mm knot. Should I try to cancel the order and buy a 20mm knot or will it work out?

I don't know. Hopefully the experts will chime in. I sort of had the opposite problem. I ordered an 18mm knot. The closest Forstner bit I had was 7/8", which is more like 22mm. Seems to be OK though.

I decided to remake this brush handle. On the first, I had turned down the diameter a bit too much and it didn't fit right in the stand that I use to hold my razor and brush. Also, I wasn't happy with the way the finish was holding up in the watery environment. This time I chose Mesquite for the handle wood and gave it 10 coats of BLO/ca glue. Also, I invested in the correct size Forstner bit.

Attachments

• $MesquiteShavingBrush_1.jpg
    $MesquiteShavingBrush_1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 132
Both handles looked very nice to me. I think that it may take a little breaking in of the knot to get it to where it produces or gives up the lather better. I am sure after a dozen uses the knot will perform a bit better than the initial attempts.

I haven't used wood as a brush handle - only plastic, so the knot size is not as critical. With a plastic handle, especially the old ones that I am restoring, if the knot does not fit - then I go at it with the dremel tool and make it fit. Probably different with the wood though - as you have treated the wood to resist water intrusion and if you sand it with dremel drum you would need to reapply sealer.

I am no expert - but the size knot that you get would seem to be determined by the opening diameter at the opening of the handle and how deep you plan to seat it in the handle. If you are going to seat it deep into the handle - then you may want to consider getting a knot a size smaller than your handle opening. If you have a 22mm opening - then you may want to get a 20mm knot if you are going to seat it at 46mm - as the knot flares out from the base a bit. I just purchased a 30mm WD handle for a 28mm knot and it worked great.

You could always order another knot of the smaller size - as it likely will get used - if not in the current handle, then in another one you build down the road.

Thanks for the info. I should add that the knot has been in daily use for a couple of months and is well broken in. It's fine, as far as that goes.

I'm giving up on the wooden handles. The finish just hasn't held up over time. The brush above was moved to my travel bag and I ordered another of the same knot. I turned a new handle out of plastic.

Attachments

• $ButterscotchBrush_1sm2.jpg
    $ButterscotchBrush_1sm2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom