What's new

What's in your pocket today?

I guess they aren't technically in my pocket, but they will travel with me to work in my back pack. I just spent the day flushing, inking, and getting most of my pens going. I still have 3 in my box + 7 Pilot Varsities, but this is what I'm using right now:

L to R:

Lamy Safari, Medium Nib, Diamine Chocolate Brown

Platinum Plaisir, Fine Nib, Noodlers Black Eel

Pilot 78G, Fine Nib, Noodlers B&B 5 O'Clock Shadow

Esterbrook SJ, Medium Nib, Diamine Classic Red

Reform 1745, Fine Nib, Diamine Grape

Parker 45, Medium Nib, Diamine Asa Blue

Sheaffer 440, Fine Nib, J. Herbin Violette Pensee

Pilot Metropolitan, Medium Nib, Noodlers Bernanke Blue

Cross Aventura, Medium Nib, Cross Black Cartridge

Conklin Duragraph, Fine Nib, J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage

I guess fountain pens are like rabbits. You start with just a couple and before you know it, your den is full of them.

I'm loving every second of it. My wife isn't so sure, but when I was able to show her how much I was using them, and that I was actually journaling and writing, she seemed to be supportive. She did say no more pens though. I guess that means just ink and paper for a while.

Gave the Noodlers Nib Creaper a ride again today with the Diamine Prussian Blue. The pen writes fine with this ink unlike the Noodlers Legal Blue, but the ink flow generally is too slow to keep up with any nib flex. Rather than a bold line, the result is two fine parallel lines. I've fiddled with the feed/nib alignment more than I care to and still can't completely fix the issue. So, while the nib has some flex, the execution of the pen does not really seem to be able to take advantage of it. The piston seal seems to now also be letting ink get behind it, even with silicone grease applied as of this last fill, so that probably needs replacing. It's done this from the get-go, but I had been blaming it on the bulletproof ink. This is about only the 4th ink fill too. This pen is more work than my most delicate vintage models.

Pilot Metropolitan with Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher. I like the color and permanence, but it's a persnickety ink that tends to dry out if not used daily. IMO for daily writers you can't bet Metropolitans.

$150215.jpg

Thanks, Eeyore!

The photo doesnt do the pen much justice. And, IMO, there's nothing like the feel of body-temperature ebonite in the hand.

My only concern with ebonite would be the chance of discoloration. Is that something you accept to happen in the long run, or do you keep the pen in the dark to prevent it?

My only concern with ebonite would be the chance of discoloration. Is that something you accept to happen in the long run, or do you keep the pen in the dark to prevent it?

When not in use keep my pens in pen cases stored in a dark cabinet. I guess discolouration may happen over time, but will hopefully only add a veneer of character to the pen.

Monteverde Poquito every day, buried in my right front jeans pocket. Currently filled with Stomy Grey (reusing the little cartridge by way of syringe). Works well, cuz the little plastic booger that had to get popped when first inserting the fresh cartridge now acts as a shaker ball to stir up the glitter-bits.

Noodler's Konrad with Red Widow
(yet another one of the) Black Safaris with Heart of Darkness
Waterman CF with Blue Nose Bear

Something old and something older.

The Montblanc Noblesse, on top, is not that old, probably 1977-80, but it hasn't been made for a while. Ultra smooth reground medium nib, Sailor Jentle Shigure (dark purple).

The Sheaffer Balance, based on a little online reading, should be from between 1936-42. This short pen might be a "ladies" version. Fine nib, smooth enough, but not as much as the Montblanc. Pilot Blue-Black ink.

Just finished my morning journal entry using a Franklin-Christoph 03, with a Masuyama Medium Stub nib, and Rohrer & Klingner Salix ink. Fantastic combination...makes my handwriting actually look readable!

Top Bottom