What's new

What's in your pocket today?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Black Pelikan M200 (using a medium M400 gold nib unit) + vintage Skrip washable blue ink

full

@nemo, please can you explain what is a 'vintage' ink? My understanding, based on the word 'vintage' is that it is not a fresh / recently made ink but dates back in time. Don't these inks lose their properties in time? Are they reliable in any pen or are there some pens which is best not to use them with? Thank you

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
@nemo, please can you explain what is a 'vintage' ink? My understanding, based on the word 'vintage' is that it is not a fresh / recently made ink but dates back in time. Don't these inks lose their properties in time? Are they reliable in any pen or are there some pens which is best not to use them with? Thank you
The Sheaffer's Skrip in that Pelikan is older than the pen. Older than me in fact. I'd estimate by the box and label between 1949 and 1952 (then called "writing fluid", see pic below). I consider any ink from before 1980 "vintage" ... other folks may not agree.

full

But you probably aren't all that interested in specific Skrip or Quink histories. Back to your inquiry ... can you use old ink? When it comes from a reliable source like a prominent pen manufacturer the chances improve. It needs to be checked for sediment, evaporation, smell, among other things. I use ink from the WWII era and on, Parker Quink, Sheaffer Skrip, Waterman's, Pelikan, Carter, and Montblanc ... many of these used chemical preservatives like phenol. Usually tested in an easily serviced 80 year old lever-filler pen before going into a newer ('80s) Pelikan like I've shown.

Using vintage inks is a rewarding offshoot of vintage pen collecting. Lots of fun but you can pick up a few duds. Shoot me a PM if you want, I'll give you a link to an author who has a comprehensive guide on the subject. Pendemonium occasionally has vintage ink for reasonable prices.

full

full

Here's some Sanford's Penit I had in a Pif
full

Whatever you do, don't use Parker Superchrome for the "51" !!

TWSBI Vac700.

Haven't been on this board much in recent weeks (months?), but still writing...
My wife really wanted one of the TWSBI vac700 in the Iris color but they were hard to find for a while. Ended up buying her one for Christmas and getting one for myself. First vacuum fill pen, I quite like it.

Top Bottom