What's new

What's in your pocket today?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
This Sailor went on a muddy canyon hike with me, took notes with Montblanc blue-black iron gall.

full

I've been doing a daily rotation at work with my monteverde engage one touch (Quink black) and a Parker IM and gel refill. But at home its been either my new to me Burgundy slimfold, Kaweco sport touch BP, Lamy scribble BP, Twsbi multi pen or my Pilot VP Decimo with dimine Violet Emperor (or is it empire?).

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Green Pelikan M200 (top) with a fine italic grind, Seitz-Kreuznach chestnut brown ink

full

A fifty year old Sheaffer cartridge pen stemming from my school years very much like this one:

proxy.php

Perfect for writing in cursive! I also very much enjoy replacing the ink cartridges:

proxy.php

I find it satisfying somehow .

:crazy:

A fifty year old Sheaffer cartridge pen stemming from my school years very much like this one:

I don't remember any Sheaffer cartridge pens from that time period that looked like that.

This blog post shows a variety of Sheaffer cartridge pens.

In the picture captioned "Sheaffer Student Cartridge Pens c.1955 - 1970" the yellow, black, and blue with a rubber band around it ones (and others) are what I remember using. (I think I still have one somewhere.)

The top of the cap and bottom of the barrel were shallow cones in shape.

I don't remember any Sheaffer cartridge pens from that time period that looked like that.

This blog post shows a variety of Sheaffer cartridge pens.

In the picture captioned "Sheaffer Student Cartridge Pens c.1955 - 1970" the yellow, black, and blue with a rubber band around it ones (and others) are what I remember using. (I think I still have one somewhere.)

The top of the cap and bottom of the barrel were shallow cones in shape.

These were the pens we used between second and eighth grades from 1959 to 1965:

proxy.php

The barrels were transparent and rounded in shape like the bottom of a test tube.

I don't remember what I used in grade nine at boarding school. Probably whatever ballpoints were sold at the school store.

Back in a public school for tenth grade, I went back to a Sheaffer cartridge pen but by this time in 1966 they had opaque barrels and I think the barrels were squared off at the end to the exact size of the cartridges so that all that was necessary to reload a cartridge was dropping the cartridge into the barrel and screwing the barrel back onto the tip:

proxy.php

By the end of tenth grade I had switched to the ubiquitous BIC throwaways for regular use. By grade thirteen though I decided that an illustrious scholar such as myself should be employing a refillable ballpoint pen as a distinguishing characteristic. I therefore bought a Sheaffer ballpoint pen very much like the present day Sentinels.

Sometime between 1970 and 1976 during my university years I discovered that the Sheaffer cartridge pen which I'd used in grade ten and at odd times thereafter was no longer usable since years of heavy pressure had caused the nib to spread too wide. I bought another one therefore but I just put it away for future use.

During my years of generally gainful employment, I used whatever ballpoint pens were available at no cost as office supplies. Some four years ago though I decided to bring the Sheaffer Sentinel-type ballpoint pens that I'd used in my university years out of retirement for office use (and damn the expense of the very occasional refill)!

The Sheaffer cartridge pen I'd bought in university still writes but this morning I realized that the tip is probably a Fine because its line is too thin, even scratchy, for my present preferences. I may have to "invest" in a new one with a Medium tip. Now that I'm past retirement age I've decided that I'm old enough to be distinguished and write with a proper "fountain" pen.

I might now have to get a good fedora and walking stick as well.

:euro:

Found out my old Lamy logo in brushed SS effect, black Lamy ink. Had to take it apart and give it a damn good clean first. Its been away for over 12 months with no action. Wrote very smooth and wet (fine nib) after this.

Top Bottom