What's new

whats in your player?

The funny thing in this situation is that I'd actually consider Messiaen to be even heavier than Mastodon/Grog Shop -- albeit, less sustained in its heaviness. Mastodon shreds live but all the amps in the world couldn't make them as intimidating as the rhythm section in the Turangalîla-Symphonie. Still, sounds like a good night!

That was actually the 2nd time I'd heard that piece performed live. The first time was in 1989 with Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting the Cleveland.. It was just simply devistating. I practically lept from my seat at the end. Salonen really let the orchestra rip...

When I got back to my dorm, my roomate had just returned from hearing Cecil Taylor peform next door at the Cleveland Institute of Music. Being a huge fan of all things modern and atonal, he was freaking out too. If only I could have caught both shows.. my head probably would have exploded.

I love nights like that..

Pretty mellow this morning. Listened to the 1957 obscure classic, "You Get More Bounce With Curtis Counce," an LP I squeezed into my iPod last night. Harold Land, who recorded many albums with Thelonious Monk, on tenor. Jack Sheldon on trumpet, Carl Perkins (not that one!) on piano, the virtually unknown Frank Butler on drums, and the leader on bass.

One of the coolest album covers of all time, too. So cool that iTunes can't download it. You can get the general idea from the tiny picture on Amazon, but for the true impact, the 12 X 12 LP cover is a must.

M

modern man

if you have BULLET on red, sell it. it goes for a ton.

i havent been able to find that on 12" inch yet but i do have it on cd and it is in deed a kick *** album

if i was lucky enough to have an original pressing of bullet on red id stab anybody who tried to get near it in the trachea. i still cry about the time i was $10 short of affording an original pressing of halloween.

You guys are nerds, pretty soon you will be walking around with a crimson ghost tattoo.

like mine

I had an angry start to my morning. I've been listening to Cannibal Corpse.
:w00t::biggrin:

The first 10 songs shuffled in my itunes by song, band, album are:

1. The Lion , Olomana, Seabird.
2. How To Disappear Completely, Radiohead, Kid A.
3. Sad and lonely, Secret Machines, Now Here Is Nowhere.
4. Fight Test, The Flaming Lips, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots.
5. Gelo No Montana, Herbie Hancock & Trey Anastasio, Possibilities.
6. Guns of Navarone, The Specials, The 2 Tone Collection (Disc 1)
7. It's For You, Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays, As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls.
8. Bem Que Se Quis, Marisa Monte , MM.
9. The Israelites, Desmond Dekker And The Aces, ???
10. Tempos Modernos, Marisa Monte, Barulhinho Bom.

Last edited:
I gots lots of stuff in my ipod..notably:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Steve

if i was lucky enough to have an original pressing of bullet on red id stab anybody who tried to get near it in the trachea. i still cry about the time i was $10 short of affording an original pressing of halloween.

i had one. i sold it like 3 years ago for a small fortune along with all my hardcore records/shirts.

This American Life podcast
Hardcore History podcast

For music, everything from ABBA (Yes, I am ashamed) to PJ Harvey, to Slayer, to Dr. Dre.

And maybe a little Wagner...

Animal Collective's latest: Merriweather Post Pavillion.

Not nearly as abstract as their earlier work. They're my flavour of the month.

----------
Alan

Top Bottom