What's new

What's in your mug? - November 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Careful. Last time I heard about a guy that got tricked by beans, he wound up having to climb a big bean stalk and run away from a giant.

If I start a post stating this you'll be sure I got some of those "tea" samples.

just finished my first cup of

proxy.php

I got a months worth, here so I think thats whats going to be in my cup for alooong time.

I did bloody enjoy it though, the fresh grind coffee, I don't think i'll be going back to already ground coffe, i've got the bug...I need a coffee to settle it down >> TO THE KITCHEN!!!!

Real "Mocha Java" -- Yemen Mokha Mattari and Java Monsooned Arabica, home-roasted, hand-ground, and brewed in a Bodum French press

proxy.php

Java Kajumas Curah Tatal, home-roasted, hand-ground, and brewed in a Bodum French press

I just roasted two 2/3-cup batches of this, which I recently purchased from Sweet Maria's. I took the advice on their label, and roasted both batches to FC+ (I counted ten 2nd-cracks, then "pulled the plug"). Turns-out that 4/3-cup was two level-measures of roasted-beans too much for the jar, so I ground-and-brewed the "excess". Good to the last drop!

proxy.php

A nice pot of Darjeerling.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to head to the GreenBeanery - a local Toronto shop that sells fresh roasted coffee, coffee roasters and green beans (among all manner of coffee gear).

I'm going to try some of their coffee, peruse the roasters and possibly buy a Zassenhaus manual grinder (its not that I relish the hand-grinding experience, its that I don't relish the consequences of waking up my SO at 5:30 am because I'm now sufficiently anal that I'm not willing to grind my beans the night before...).

Also, the lure of home roasting is strong, so I'm very interested to see the different roasters.

I'll post more after I've been to the shop.

Real "Mocha Java" -- Yemen Mokha Sana'ani and Java Monsooned Arabica, home-roasted, hand-ground, and brewed in a Bodum French press

proxy.php

Amazing Longjing in a glass presentation gaiwan. Incredibly warm, nutty, eggy longjing - my favorite!

full

full

Young buds just opening...
full

Now off to the annual pumpkin shoot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Scotto that looks amazing! How did you do that?

That's the beauty of microfoam. Can't get that at Charbucks! It is a dense, silky foam instead of the big-bubbled crap you get at most coffee shops. A fair amount of practice required, but the results are worth it. It makes the cappa taste much different; the mouthfeel is thick and viscous. Plus if you get it right, you can make all sorts of poured designs like the one I showed.

This morning it was Sulawesi Goo Goo muck. Not quite as bad as Sweet Maria's description, but it was somewhat swampy and funky tasting. At least it's a learning experience.

Morning coffee - GreanBeanery Ethiopia Yirgacheffe - roasted on Saturday and ground in my brand spankin' new Zassenhaus Lima manual grinder.

Very nice, smooth, cup of medium strength coffee, with lots of flavour notes - in particular, fruity/winey and citrus.

Morning tea - second infusion of Menghai Peacock of Menghai. I wan't enamoured with this tea intially, but its grown on me - very good quality and longevity from such a reasonably priced tea.

Its been a while since I had a cup of pu'erh, and its nice to be drinking some - I forgot how refreshing a green tea is.

Morning coffee - GreanBeanery Ethiopia Yirgacheffe - roasted on Saturday and ground in my brand spankin' new Zassenhaus Lima manual grinder. ...
French pressed Ethiopia Yirgacheffe - probably roasted 3 weeks or so ago by the vendor and ground about 2 weeks ago --
still good enough for my heathen palate.

Followed by some hearty Yunnan Gold.

Nothing subtle this a.m., thank you very much.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's the beauty of microfoam. Can't get that at Charbucks! It is a dense, silky foam instead of the big-bubbled crap you get at most coffee shops. A fair amount of practice required, but the results are worth it. It makes the cappa taste much different; the mouthfeel is thick and viscous. Plus if you get it right, you can make all sorts of poured designs like the one I showed.

Tutorial time!

Any advice on making microfoam? I've never been able to steam up anything that would be like that.

Right now, a pretty darn amazing cup of Darjeerling. Part of this rocking sample set from Chris. Chris, your right, this is a great everyday tea....

Right now, a pretty darn amazing cup of Darjeerling. Part of this rocking sample set from Chris. Chris, your right, this is a great everyday tea....

The best part is the price $7 for 200g (a bit less than 1/2 pound) - the price:value of this stuff is amazing. I get two good brews from the leaves.

Its got some of the classic muscatel high notes and a nice body - tastes great without anything.

Glad you like it - its from a local vendor who buys tea in bulk and then repackages for the supermarket. The turnover is quite good, so its usually pretty fresh. I often pick up a bag of their tea when I'm looking for something for every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom