What's new

What's in YOUR Mug? ~ June 2009

What are you drinking today?

For me: Uganda Bugishu Kawomera, roasted to Full City. Delicious cherry-cordial candies. Great coffee.

Noontime...
A 50/50 mix of Guatemala Oriente DP and Brazil Moreninhu Formosa Raisin

proxy.php

Today it's some unknown grind from the kitchen while I'm house sitting. While it doesn't seem to be anything special, it's OK.

Ethiopia DP Indido "Misty Valley".
This seems to be a tough one to roast. It needs to be City to City+ and I have trouble hitting the sweet spot. Maybe its simply cuz I rarely use DP beans.

This seems to be a tough one to roast. It needs to be City to City+ and I have trouble hitting the sweet spot. Maybe its simply cuz I rarely use DP beans.

This is a very dense coffee. You may try stretching the time through the drying stage a bit (to avoid astringency in the cup), and ramping it up, then dropping it just before 2nd crack.

I haven't tried this, but I have had a little experience with this coffee, and that's the impression I get. Of course, I don't know what kind of roaster you're using, either.

BTW. I had a double cappuccino made from this coffee earlier this afternoon. Roasted by Ambrose. It turned out quite nicely, actually, despite the dark-ish exterior. It was still quite dense. (thanks, I'm guessing, to the fast roast profile given by an air popper) It was great! Blueberry muffin batter in a cup. mmmmmm:thumbup:

I use a Gene Cafe....Saturday, when I roasted the IMV, was my first try with those beans in that roaster. Yesterday, though, I got out:
Ethiopia Kochere (Yirgacheffe)
and it came out just fine. I've found that it can be difficult to hear the first crack with the Gene Cafe. Also, you have to kind of guess your stopping point and put it in the cool-down a bit early.

If you don't roast DP beans, you can get fooled quite easily into over-roasting. Luckily IMV is also delicious at a darker roast. If you want to try your hand at a really sparkling City roast, listen for the last cracks of 1st and then kill the roast.

Top Bottom