What's new

Whats in your mug?~ December, 2008

Yesterday I roasted a similar blend. I only mixed some Indonesian Sulcoto Sulwasi in.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Finally a pic of my Rocky Doserless which I cleaned today (after the picture was taken).:lol:

proxy.php

Unnamed beans from an national retailer.:frown:

I feel your pain - last week my wife bought some generic Colombian beans from a chain coffee shop - some of the nastiest coffee I've had in ages - crappy coffee and stale to boot.

Today was much better - my first ever cup of home roasted coffee.

Indian monsoon roasted to a city roast, hand ground in my Zass.

A nice mild cup of coffee (almost no acidity despite the light roast) some interesting flavours some dark musty notes (which is common to the monsoon coffees). I roasted a batch to a Vienna last night and think that the beans will taste better with a darker roast.

The one thing I notice with the home roast and the fresh roast I buy is the complete lack of bitterness.

Colombia Huila Concurso San Pedro, roasted to Full City 12 hours ago and brewed in a Yama vacuum pot. Very nice.

3 cappas and 3 espressos at 3 cafes in town whilst christmas sales shopping. Only one place blew me away, the other two has pretty sub par milk and average shots.

Home now and considering a pour over of orange bourbon cultivar

Whuzzat? Sounds delightful.

from sweet marias :

Notes:Bourbon coffee is a classic cultivar, named for the island of Bourbon (now called Reunion) where it was originally cultivated. When we call it classic, we mean not just the fact that it is a lower-yield, heirloom plant, and that it has a very dense seed that roasts well, but also the cup character. Bourbon (pronounced Bore-Bone), especially those from El Salvador, are neotypical Central American coffees. They are bright, aromatic, balanced, semisweet or bittersweet, chocolatey and have a creamy mouthfeel. Most of this cultivar have fruit that ripen to a red color, hence Red Bourbon, and there is some Yellow Bourbon too. This coffee is a spontaneous mutation that ripens to an orange color, hence the name Orange Bourbon. It is from a farm I visited last year called El Molino de Santa Rita, and when I heard of this orange coffee I had to go out and find it. Since I was flying out that day, this meant a very early morning for me, and despite bleary eyes, we found the trees in full ripeness and they were indeed very orange! More interesting is the cup, which is very balanced, with moderate acidity and excellent sweetness. At Full City roast there is an excellent bittersweet heft to this cup, dense and compact body, and an orangey sweetness (yes, what a coincidence!) This orange combines with a soft chocolate note for a very pleasing effect, and I am off now to fire ups some shots in the espresso machine to see how this great, balanced cup plays out in that arena.

French pressed Celebes Kalossi Toraja.

A nice body, but could use some more 'bite'.

Any suggestions as to what I might blend it with?

French pressed Celebes Kalossi Toraja.

A nice body, but could use some more 'bite'.

Any suggestions as to what I might blend it with?

I felt your pain, so I ground one SCAA measure of each single-origin bean. Results? As with Mokha Java, the Yemen Mokha Sharasi's bright flavor complemented the Sulawesi Torajaland quite nicely. YMMV, of course. But I like it.

proxy.php

Since I am still on the road, I'm stuck with drip grind. This weekend I'll be back to the good stuff in my kitchen.

Top Bottom