What's new

What's in YOUR Mug? ~ April 2009

I roasted this small batch (1-cup) of Brazil Moreninha Formosa Raisin Coffee Micro-Lot yesterday evening, taking it just into 2nd crack (no more than 10-seconds, by my count).

At this point, it's nice and chocolatey -- strong, but not overly bitter (certainly not burnt), and it would have been a mistake to continue the roast any longer.

proxy.php

Home-roasted, hand-ground, and fresh-brewed in a Bodum French-press.

25% Sumatra Takengon Classic
25% Ethiopia Organic DP Idido Misty Valley
25% Brazil Moreninha Formosa Raisin Coffee MicroLot
25% El Salvador Orange Bourbon Cultivar

Why, yes; that's crema, floating on top of the coffee... crema, from a French-press... no sweetner added, no Half 'n Half... coffee and crema.

Of course, before drinking I added both sweetner and Half 'n Half, as is my wont.

Chocolate-milk with sweet citrus... like candy for Shabbat.

proxy.php

Last edited:
"Look at them beans!" (Johnny Cash)

A 50/50 mixture of the two beans, I adjusted the coffee mill (Zassenhaus 156) for a coarser grind (less "fines" in the bottom of the cup) and brewed in my Bodum 4-cup French press.

Nice and tasty (chocolatey); next time I might try 2:1 El Salvador Orange Bourbon Cultivar to Sumatra Takengon Classic.

proxy.php

One good cup deserves another (בעברית: חבר מביא חבר) -- also a 50/50 mix.

proxy.php

Last edited:
To JB: crema comes from espresso. bloom comes from a french press.

Yesterday: Ethiopia Idio Misty Valley drip, and as a double 5oz. cappuccino.

I'm not usually a fan of that defect-y Ethiopian blueberry note, but there was nothing offensive whatsoever about this one. (not that I expected it would be, but I don't often think of quality coffee as tasting primarily of a fermentation defect, either)

Later today: A Perto Rican that was a gift from Nathan of http://bestmochalatte.podomatic.com/ and http://www.circuscoffee.com

To JB: crema comes from espresso. bloom comes from a french press.

I am chastened and chagrined... bloom it shall be.

Thanks for enriching my active vocabulary (really) :thumbup1:

I hate text format. It doesn't sound so harsh when I say it verbally. Sorry for the unintended abrasiveness.

Abrasiveness? None perceived... at least, not by me. Perhaps I should've added that smiley... :redface:

Top Bottom