What's new

what's happening with traditional boxer shorts underwear?

Cable Car Clothiers in San Francisco has great boxers. It's a great store in general with some shaving gear and an in house barber.

I wash everything at 40 degrees, sorted by color. I then hang to dry inside. I only tumble dry my socks and towels/flannels.
Dryers dramatically reduce clothing life. In addition to washing in cold water, using a gentle cycle will make clothes last longer. Of course if you are, unlike me, a fashionista, you'll be moving on to the latest style before your clothes begin to age, no matter how you wash and dry them.

A few clothing items that I want to last forever, I hand wash.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I feel the same way, only it's briefs that have gone missing. All the world seems to love boxer briefs. I sometimes have to order directly from the company to get what I want as no stores near me stock them. The only boxer briefs I can tolerate are the long legged ones that are made out of performance fiber otherwise the shorter ones and all that are just cotton tend to have the legs ride up.

But I generally like to feel a bit more contained than boxers allow. Some boxer briefs are a little better, but I still like my eggs in the basket of the brief.

On some boxers, the outer surface of the elastic band is covered by the same material as the boxer but the inside elastic is uncovered and rests against the skin. Other boxers have the elastic totally covered by the material of the boxer so the elastic doesn't touch the skin.

I'm fine with either. I have both styles on my Old Navy boxers. The older ones are only covered on the outside. The newer ones are totally covered.

Last edited:
I find modern performance fabrics much more cooling than cotton. Yeah, they're plastic, but breathe and wick way better than cotton. My favs right now are from New Balance and David Archy. Both have a decent size pouch so the wedding vegetables are less squished.

Wool is another really good option, but pricey. I wear nothing but wool socks winter or summer. I just haven't made the leap to wool underwear yet. But wool is pretty much the best fabric there is in any climate.

I'll second the Brooks Brothers boxers. They are very comfortable and very durable. Been using them for years.

I'll also add Polo boxers are just the same in quality and longevity and cost about the same. Been using them for years as well.

The Brooks Brothers may be the bargain though as they can be had for less at their semi-annual sales - that's when I time my ordering.

I always buy two weeks of underwear whenever I replace my old ones - half Brooks Brothers and half Polo. This helps guarantee years of wear.

Chris

Sunspel do not cover the inner elastic. Any non natural fibre gives me dermatitis. So, I only have covered elastic shorts and underwear. Considering their price point, you would imagine that Sunspel would provide high quality products...

I looked at Amazon to see what they carried. Several brands like Hanes were made of 55% cotton/45% polyester. The Amazon Essential brand is 100% cotton, but if your waist size is over 37", you are out of luck.

I looked at Amazon to see what they carried. Several brands like Hanes were made of 55% cotton/45% polyester. The Amazon Essential brand is 100% cotton, but if your waist size is over 37", you are out of luck.

Hanes Comfortsoft are 100% cotton. But they are boxer briefs.

I have been meaning to get a few European Jersey cotton boxers. However, I have ordered woven cotton boxers again. This time 3 pairs from Hanro of Switzerland.

I just ordered and tried one from Hanro. It’s super lightweight and something of a sport fit as opposed to a classic fit. It’s made in Bulgaria and has held up pretty well to my normal hot wash / machine dry cycle (even though the label says different) without shrinkage. I could live with the fit, but I would like to look for something better.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I feel the same way, only it's briefs that have gone missing. All the world seems to love boxer briefs. I sometimes have to order directly from the company to get what I want as no stores near me stock them. The only boxer briefs I can tolerate are the long legged ones that are made out of performance fiber otherwise the shorter ones and all that are just cotton tend to have the legs ride up.

But I generally like to feel a bit more contained than boxers allow. Some boxer briefs are a little better, but I still like my eggs in the basket of the brief.
"My boys need a home Jerry!"

Much prefer boxer briefs. The newest ones purchased are from Amazon (can't recall the brand, they aren't labeled on the boxer briefs themselves), 95% cotton and 5% elastic. Really nice except they are a bit tight on the thighs. They don't run up though.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Much prefer boxer briefs. The newest ones purchased are from Amazon (can't recall the brand, they aren't labeled on the boxer briefs themselves), 95% cotton and 5% elastic. Really nice except they are a bit tight on the thighs. They don't run up though.
The thigh thing is my biggest problem with those.

Top Bottom