What's new

what's happening with traditional boxer shorts underwear?

Are traditional boxer shorts underwear going the way of DE shaving?

For many years now, I've been buying these at my local Macy's store. Over the years, I've been finding fewer and fewer options and with whatever is available, the quality seems to be slowly going down. A really long time ago, I used to wear Calvin Klein and then they switched to no cover on the elastic. So I started wearing Polo RLs and now I'm finding inconsistency in sizing and sporadic availability. Nordstrom had only their store brand and the quality was pretty bad.

Any suggestions? I'm interested in 100% cotton and a fully covered elastic with the same fabric as the rest of the garment.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

For many years now, I've been buying these at my local Macy's store. Over the years, I've been finding fewer and fewer options and with whatever is available, the quality seems to be slowly going down. A really long time ago, I used to wear Calvin Klein and then they switched to no cover on the elastic. So I started wearing Polo RLs and now I'm finding inconsistency in sizing and sporadic availability. Nordstrom had only their store brand and the quality was pretty bad.

Any suggestions? I'm interested in 100% cotton and a fully covered elastic with the same fabric as the rest of the garment.
No help here. I am having the same issues, and I only use them to sleep in.

And what is going on with EVERY PIECE OF UNDER GARMENTS being made of anything BUT cotton?

My boys like a home, but they also like to breathe!

Sorry. You touched a raw nerve, my friend!

I started out wearing briefs as a kid. Gravitated to boxers in my 20s and then found boxer briefs and haven't looked back. I keep it simple with Hanes. All cotton. Simple. Cost effective. Comfortable. I don't see the need to go with fancy names for underwear. I just care that they feel good. My Hanes do it for me.

And what is going on with EVERY PIECE OF UNDER GARMENTS being made of anything BUT cotton?

Totally hear you on that one. Also it was so easy to find 100% cotton sweat shorts. Now it is nearly impossible to find them. It used to be like I could go to Sears and buy a couple that would last me a few months, maybe even a year. Nowadays everything is synthetic.

Synthetic fibers are polluting the oceans via ordinary washing (!) and eventually getting ingested by marine wildlife.

FarmerTan

I live near an "Outlet" mall that has Jockey brand usually cheap. I get Hanes too.

But I HAVE to lose these stupid 25 lbs. Just cussed laziness I feel.

THEN the unmentionables will feel better!

FarmerTan

Totally hear you on that one. Also it was so easy to find 100% cotton sweat shorts. Now it is nearly impossible to find them. It used to be like I could go to Sears and buy a couple that would last me a few months, maybe even a year. Nowadays everything is synthetic.

Synthetic fibers are polluting the oceans via ordinary washing (!) and eventually getting ingested by marine wildlife.
I shared that article to Facebook. Raising conscienceness can't hurt. It might cost a bit more for a filter for a washer, but I'd pay it.

We only got this planet, for now.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

give j crew a try. I like their traditional cotton boxers. Quality is pretty good and they tend to last. I tend to get them at the outlet.

Brooks Brothers boxers are simply the best. They are quality boxers and will last a long time. They have good style factor (change colors and patterns regularly). I have been wearing them for 30+ years and they have not changed the cut for a standard boxer size M. They are not the cheapest at around $15 each, but you really do get what you pay for. I never have to worry about what boxer short I am going to buy/wear, they are always available and I can count on them being the same great quality year in and year out. For something that is the first piece of clothing I put on each day, it's a no brainer.

I will add that boxers are the only thing I buy from Brooks Brothers and I do not spend a lot of money on clothing (but still have great style! haha).

I love the Nordstrom brand classic boxers. They have great reviews as well. Check them out:

Attachments

• D8B47413-A03D-448D-A245-6FF06E107BAC.png
    D8B47413-A03D-448D-A245-6FF06E107BAC.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 42
I upgraded my shorts to British Boxers
However I am planning on getting some Italian, French , Spanish and Swiss Brands. Zimmerli and ISA are out of my price range but Hanro and Calida are affordable. Zero Defects from Spain and Eminence from France are reasonable, as are Schiesser from Germany.

I upgraded my shorts to British Boxers
However I am planning on getting some Italian, French , Spanish and Swiss Brands. Zimmerli and ISA are out of my price range but Hanro and Calida are affordable. Zero Defects from Spain and Eminence from France are reasonable, as are Schiesser from Germany.

The problem I have with some of the higher end brands is the care that is needed. They don't survive a hot machine wash and dryer very well. They are more of the gentle wash, hang dry, iron type. For example, Zimmerli clearly says no dryer and warm wash.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 11.56.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 11.56.41 AM.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 15

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am in the UK and for years have almost exclusively worn Pringle underwear in a style that I know as trunks, or as boxer briefs if they have a longer inseam. Either way they are tight fitting and 95% cotton with 5% elastane. If you can get there in your location then I recommend them.

I've also noticed that it's harder to find decent boxers these days. I do have boxer briefs for athletics (synthetics for running, synthetics or cotton for yoga), but I definitely prefer boxers for day to day wear.

Recent finds:
Hanes on Amazon.com - soft, cotton, affordable, decently attractive with a heathered texture and several colors
Buffalo ? at Costco - Costco doesn't typically sell just cotton boxers around here anymore, but this brand popped up once and I bought a pack. Also soft, seems like good quality, affordable
Synthetics from some online brands (MeUndies, a few others) - nice, but not exactly my cup of tea

That's all I recall at the moment. For new boxers, I'll probably buy more Hanes/Buffalo ones. I haven't found a website with a wide variety of designs in 100% cotton at decent prices. I do miss the old Costco Hathaway brand, which was all of those.

I buy my 100% cotton boxers from Old Navy. They're comfortable and come in patterns that I like so I've been given no reason to look elsewhere. I've worn them for decades.

The problem I have with some of the higher end brands is the care that is needed. They don't survive a hot machine wash and dryer very well. They are more of the gentle wash, hang dry, iron type. For example, Zimmerli clearly says no dryer and warm wash.
I wash everything at 40 degrees, sorted by color. I then hang to dry inside. I only tumble dry my socks and towels/flannels.

Top Bottom