What's new

What's good or bad about synthetic brushes

I had used badger brushes exclusively, yet a recent boar brush opened my eyes to new possibilities. The next in my list is synthetic brushes.

I know they do not get much love here, so my question is: when would you recommend a synthetic brush. What are the pros and cons. They are cheaper than badger, of course. How do they hold over years? What about lathering ability? Water retention?

Pros: They are good if you don't desire the use of animal products. The fibers are probably more durable than hair. They dry out faster than hair.
Cons: Poor water and heat retention. Usually floppy.

That's about all I know. I've tried a few but haven't kept any.

Pros: They are good if you don't desire the use of animal products. The fibers are probably more durable than hair. They dry out faster than hair.
Cons: Poor water and heat retention. Usually floppy.

That's about all I know. I've tried a few but haven't kept any.

I don't mind animal product. But poor heat retention will be a problem. Thank you.

Anyone kept it long enough to know how they age?

My synthetic experiences have been with the relatively inexpensive Frank Shaving Synthetic and the TBS Synthetic, both acquired on the BS&T.

Advantages:

Typically Inexpensive - though this varies by maker.
Fast drying - made for travel
Surprisingly soft if you get the right knot.
Work well with creams
Durable and low maintenance.

Disadvantages:

require a bit more effort for face lathering soaps, more of a 'paint it on' style than a 'buffing' style
You will need to recalibrate your water mix. The nylon 'hairs' do not 'absorb' water, so extra water makes for a runny lather and suds all over the place.
Don't really 'break in' or 'bloom'. They are what they are. That said, they retain their looks well.
Due to the firmness of the bristles (at least on my FS brush), can be easy to get too much product when loading directly from a tub of soft cream.

I am curious about TGNs synthetic knots, but I like my Frank Shaving synthetic - based on appearance, the knots seem identical, but I cannot confirm this.

I have a Omega synthetic badger brush, not the syntex. This was my first brush and worked great. But once I started using boar brushes, I put aside as a travel brush.

Pros: mold or bacteria doesn't grow; dries super fast; doesn't shed; low maintenance; make great lather with small product
Cons: for face lathering, it's prickly compares to well broken boar brush

I've had the Men 'U' sythn brush for some years now. It get taken out every now and then. As the other says in pro's and cons. It's lasted very well with no hair /fibre problems at all.

I've tried a few synthetics. My favorite is the Omega Synthetic bristle (NOT Sintex).
I've never understood all the hoopla that badger and boar are the pinnacle of brush materials.

It doesn't feel scratchy to me at all and it builds a really nice lather.
The fact that synthetics don't hold water like badger or boar is not a problem for me.
I do just what I do with a badger brush: dunk in hot water, give a couple of hard shakes and lather up.
The lather starts out a bit dry, but a few drops of water gets it where it has to be.

Edwin Jagger has some nice synthetic brushes, too.

My vintage 100N nylon brush can really hold the water, but it is prickly until you mushroom the bristles out as you apply lather.

One advantage to this nylon is, before I first used it, I sanitized it in a chlorine solution that I wouldn't dare subject a badger or boar to.

Disadvantage the bristles are sorta slightly bent one way permanently. Looks funky while drying out.

So in my case, synthetic is my Least favorite ... but I use it - cause I like old stuff - - but I wouldn't buy a new one!

Dropping the synthetic idea after reading people's review. I may consider Mulhe silvertip if I have some extra cash.

Top Bottom