What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

I eat better at work than I do at home.

BBCFE5FF-9CA8-48F3-BD8A-1D88D54654F9.jpeg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We're having a few people over (5 as is the maximum allowed!) and we are doing a kind of buffet. The missus is currently preparing "sambal dang" a spicy Indonesian prawn stir fry. The prawns are fresh from the seafood counter this morning but my goodness they smell rank. Apparently they smell ok to her. How can anyone eat such stuff?? (I am not a seafood fan).
Fish and shrimp should smell like the sea.… or not really smell at all. They should not smell fishy. I always ask my fish monger to let me smell the fillet or whatever.

Night before last I wanted something quick and easy, one pot/pan meal it was -

(3) chicken thighs, coat w/ olive oil, S&P, fry at med/high heat until ~175F, set aside, don't clean pan, when cooled dice into chunks

lower heat to med

(5) strips of bacon, cook crispy and set aside, dice when cool

Large onion diced, cup carrots diced, cup celery diced, add more olive oil to pan and cook until just getting tender but still firm

3 tablespoons of dry white wine, deglaze pan, clean off anything that stuck to bottom, mix in

2 cups chicken broth, 1 tsp Greek or Italian seasoning (I do a heaping tsp), 1/2 tsp cayenne, dump into pan, mix, bring to boil

As soon as boiling, take off heat and dump in diced chicken, bacon, and 1.5 cups of cous cous, mix thoroughly, set aside for 5 minutes

Serve

Above is great with pilsner beer or the dry white wine you just opened. Sorry, no pics on this one all gone by next day.

C-19 numbers here spiked again in the last week (still low compared to the rest of the world but this is Singapore) and I've been expecting a reimposition of restrictions so I booked Bar A Thym last night.

Chef's special is Bouchot mussels in a wine, garlic, chili, tomato and cream sauce for madam
209584781_10161085203388275_8426464575925310229_n.jpg
211866865_10161085203328275_6494397880877794076_n.jpg
, and I had the usual rack of NZ Te Mana lamb. As usual quite splendid. A bottle of Montagne St Emilion to gargle, and I had the Rum Baba as usual (again!).

As expected, restrictions were reimposed with effect from Monday - unless all 5 in the group are fully vaccinated, you can only dine in pairs. I'm not sure of the logic behind it...

Please tell us more!
Can do.

This is based off cowboy chef Grady Spears recipe.

Marinade:
1-16oz Dr. Pepper
4 crushed cloves of garlic
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tablespoon of Reata grill rub
1-2lb of decent flank steak

Combine ingredients and let sit at least 12 hours. Dr. Pepper acids break down the steak nicely.

Reata Rub (beef likes this a lot):
4 tablespoons of kosher salt
3 tablespoons of pasilla chile powder
2 tablespoons of granulated garlic
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of ground cumin
2 tablespoons of fresh course ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of ground thyme

Fire up your grill, get it fairly hot, but no inferno. Take out your flank steak and pat the residual marinade off and fling that onto the grill for a few minutes. Don't cook beyond medium rare. Pull it off, let it chill out covered for a few minutes before getting out your brisket knife to make thin slices. Warm up some corn tortillas, hack up some avocado and pico de gallo then assemble your righteous taco.

Hope you give it a whirl.

Top Bottom