What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

I recall a stand up routine talking about leftovers. “Mama said if nobody is going to eat this, I’m just gonna throw it away. And I said, Thanks, Mom...nice to know it’s ready for the garbage but you’re giving us one last crack at it. “

I felt this way today when the butcher at Sprouts had black pepper garlic kebabs marked down from $9.99/lb to $3.99. They looked okay but I knew they had to be on the grill tonight. The flavor was superb and they grilled up beautifully.

My wife boiled up some baby red potatoes and finished them in a skillet and made steamed green beans with grape tomatoes.
E153C0ED-BDAB-4E4D-B075-64DAF977444F.jpeg
D1973F33-FB36-49D2-AC44-7ED05D5F91CE.jpeg
56E4BC56-FBA0-4969-8E0B-25B385100A57.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My lovely wife made chili at 8 this morning, and just took a pan of cornbread out the oven. The chili has been in the slow cooker all day so the house smells good. Her chili is always too mild, which after 26 years of marriage is the worst flaw in her character that I've been able to uncover, so I keep quiet and suffer silently.

Went out last night to the Four Seasons' One Ninety restaurant: we haven't been there in maybe 10 years but my colleague went there recently and said it was good. It was. $58 (plus 10% service and 7% GST) for a "semi-buffet". Buffets are banned at the moment, so they have a set up behind perspex screening with a decent selection of salads and cold cuts and you point to what you want and the staff plates it up. You have to wear a mask when wandering around the dining room, but you take it off back at the table. I had a couple of Negronis to start then a bottle of Bordeaux the meal. Then, when you are ready you order the main course which is cooked to order - I had a 300g USDA prime ribeye with black truffle fries and Bearnaise sauce (a supplement of $25 applied) while Mrs. P went for squid ink tonnarelli with spanner crab. My steak was pretty good and cooked exactly as ordered, but the Bearnaise was a bit bland. I can't speak for the pasta but apparently it was good.

There was an interesting mix of Western and local mains, Laksa, a Malaysian noodle soupy dish usually with seafood, Hokkien Mee, Singaporean fried noodles and Nasi Goreng which regular readers will know as Indonesian fried rice, but we both went Western.

Back to the semi buffet for some cheese, a good Camembert and Brie, then another trip for dessert, bread and butter pudding.

Then a major treat. Generally bars, including those in hotels are not allowed to be open, but the Four Seasons had somehow gotten around this by serving good. So we repaired to the bar for a few cocktails before the 10.30 witching hour when all alcohol consumption must stop - this is rigidly enforced. All in all, a good night out.

Top Bottom