What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

M&S here used to sell value-added chicken products, such as "Cajun style chicken tenders" and Chicken Kiev, that classic British dish (kidding, I know it's not!). The missus had not previously tried a Kiev but once she had, she pronounced them a hit. So far, so good. You will have spotted the "used to".

Whether there are post-Brexit supply chain issues I don't know but we haven't seen a Kiev, or any other such item for at least 3 months, so last night I had a go.

tempImagevHfMdM.png

It took a while to track down Panko breadcrumbs but I found a pack from NZ of all places, Fogdog brand, and I was in business.

I used an Air Fryer recipe, they don't require pre-frying in oil so they perhaps lack a bit of crunch, but on the plus side, much less mess. The recipe said 10 mins at 200c but I gave them closer to 15 as the thermometer looked a bit cool still. It also said to rest them for 5 mins, and I used the time to roast some broccoli florets in the AF, just tossed in oil, S&P.

Overall, not bad, but the prep is a bit of a faff and I made a right mess with the flour, egg and crumb sequence...

Dining in has been resumed from 21 June, but limited to a pair of diners, and safe distance between tables. So last night to the old favourite Bar A Thym. It was quite strange, pretty quiet maybe 25% capacity. They were still putting out deliveries but it appears people are still not going out. The street that the restaurant is in has a number of other bars and restaurants, all of which were comparatively quiet, and the taxi driver we hailed off the street at about 8.45pm told us we were only his second fare of his shift that had started at 6pm. Strange times.

But the food was as usual excellent, and the staff were great. Duck rillettes to start, Tournedos Rossini for me, and a giant prawn with angel hair pasta and fish roe sauce for the men-sahib, and I had my usual Baba au Rum, a doughnut in a pint of Diplomatico rum. Plus a couple of Negronis, and a very decent bottle of Montagne St Emilion.

tempImageSKTpsl.png
tempImageUXXBzy.png
tempImageqZuCwW.png
tempImage3TpW2Q.png

Gave this recipe for Shrimp & Crab Cast Iron Pizza a try for this evening. The recipe was easy to follow and pretty amenable to modification and working with what you had. The pizza looked beautiful and it tasted even better than it looked -

20210626_180257.jpg

20210626_181030.jpg

I skipped the Adobo and chicken bouillon and all the other seasonings the YouTube chef was adding and just went with a heavy cream and lemon juice reduction seasoned with a Hot Maple Cajun seasoning from High Plains Spice company. Used a mix of large shrimp cleaned and cut into thirds and a can of lump crab seasoned with garlic powder, smoked Himalayan salt, scallions, and fresh minced basil and Italian parsley.

This recipe is a definite keeper! :em2200:

Tim

Last night I did Honey Hot Sauce Chicken Thighs on the kettle grill. Last bag of the Wal-mart charcoal. Actually lit. Tonight reverse sear filet mignon

Tonight I finally got around to pan searing in a cast iron skillet the branzino I filleted yesterday. I just seasoned the fillets with cracked black pepper, smoked Himalayan pink sea salt, and Italian herbs. And boy, did it come out delicious. :em3400:

Here they are in the skillet -

20210627_171539.jpg

And, plated with braised Swiss chard in a vinaigrette sauce and toasted herbed bread I baked in the cast iron skillet.

20210627_172437.jpg
I

If you are interested, I followed a YouTube video from Gordon Ramsay's 10 minute meal series on Mediterranean Sea Bass, minus the veggies and couscous.

Tim

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Dining in has been resumed from 21 June, but limited to a pair of diners, and safe distance between tables. So last night to the old favourite Bar A Thym. It was quite strange, pretty quiet maybe 25% capacity. They were still putting out deliveries but it appears people are still not going out. The street that the restaurant is in has a number of other bars and restaurants, all of which were comparatively quiet, and the taxi driver we hailed off the street at about 8.45pm told us we were only his second fare of his shift that had started at 6pm. Strange times.

But the food was as usual excellent, and the staff were great. Duck rillettes to start, Tournedos Rossini for me, and a giant prawn with angel hair pasta and fish roe sauce for the men-sahib, and I had my usual Baba au Rum, a doughnut in a pint of Diplomatico rum. Plus a couple of Negronis, and a very decent bottle of Montagne St Emilion.

View attachment 1287449View attachment 1287450View attachment 1287452View attachment 1287453
You deserved a night out.

We went out Friday night to the Marina Bay Sands "Shoppes" which is an odd way to say "mall", and to DB Bistro. We go quite frequently and the staff know us quite well by now. No reservation but they had space - they told us lunchtimes were fairly busy but dinner service was still quiet.

Obviously the tables were well spaced and we are still only allowed to dine in pairs. The table in front of ours was set for 4 but each place was at a corner so the 2 people on each side were well over a metre apart (if you can visualise that!) The oddest thing was it was a family, mum, dad and 2 smallish kids maybe 12 and the other possibly only 6. I don't have kids and am rubbish at estimating their ages! The younger kid couldn't work out why he could not sit closer to his mother and didn't seem to be enjoying himself, I felt a bit sorry for him, unusual for me as I generally try and ignore the little s*ds...

Anyway, food. They were doing Chateaubriand as a special so we decided to go for it. It came with 2 huge portions of fries, 2 sauces and a side salad.

We ended up taking a couple of chunks home and that was lunch yesterday!

I can't seem to upload a photo, will try again.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We went out Friday night to the Marina Bay Sands "Shoppes" which is an odd way to say "mall", and to DB Bistro. We go quite frequently and the staff know us quite well by now. No reservation but they had space - they told us lunchtimes were fairly busy but dinner service was still quiet.

Obviously the tables were well spaced and we are still only allowed to dine in pairs. The table in front of ours was set for 4 but each place was at a corner so the 2 people on each side were well over a metre apart (if you can visualise that!) The oddest thing was it was a family, mum, dad and 2 smallish kids maybe 12 and the other possibly only 6. I don't have kids and am rubbish at estimating their ages! The younger kid couldn't work out why he could not sit closer to his mother and didn't seem to be enjoying himself, I felt a bit sorry for him, unusual for me as I generally try and ignore the little s*ds...

Anyway, food. They were doing Chateaubriand as a special so we decided to go for it. It came with 2 huge portions of fries, 2 sauces and a side salad.

We ended up taking a couple of chunks home and that was lunch yesterday!

I can't seem to upload a photo, will try again.
We are having just a small problem with uploads on pictures right now administrations working on it.

Top Bottom