What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

Pizzas tonight, wifes has all the cheese.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So she decided to do nasi tumpeng (nasi being rice in Indonesian). Some readers may know of "rijstaffel", a Dutch word from colonial times meaning "rice table" which is usually an elaborate meal of many dishes, but it has its origins in the West Sumatra region of Padang where the wife's mother was from, particularly at festive times.

184391885_10160912217343275_8305567890465978398_n.jpg

We do have a lot of leftover grub, so if you are passing, please drop in and help me out!!

So she decided to do nasi tumpeng (nasi being rice in Indonesian). Some readers may know of "rijstaffel", a Dutch word from colonial times meaning "rice table" which is usually an elaborate meal of many dishes, but it has its origins in the West Sumatra region of Padang where the wife's mother was from, particularly at festive times.

View attachment 1266225

We do have a lot of leftover grub, so if you are passing, please drop in and help me out!!
We have enjoyed rijstaffel in Bali (as you would expect) and in Curaçao (not as obvious). Love nasi goring and the various satays. I think you previously mentioned beef rendang which is another favorite. The photos are gorgeous and I’m sure the feast was even better! Thanks for sharing.

We have enjoyed rijstaffel in Bali (as you would expect) and in Curaçao (not as obvious). Love nasi goring and the various satays. I think you previously mentioned beef rendang which is another favorite. The photos are gorgeous and I’m sure the feast was even better! Thanks for sharing.
Glad you liked them, thanks! Curacao was a surprise until I looked it up and it's a former Dutch colony so maybe there are Indonesian settlers there. Bali, ah so near and yet so far right now!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Decided to totally rock the Canadian thing the other night: Tourtierre!

IMG_0517[1].JPG

That's supposed to be a maple leaf...

Dr. Ken Albala indicates that one of the earliest recipes for tourtierre came from an anonymous group of nuns who published a Quebecois cookbook back in the late 1700/early 1800 period. His observation is that the technique and ingredients are straight out of earlier medieval recipes, which leads him to conclude that the nuns basically took a wild guess at how people were cooking in Quebec, and then that became the gospel because "I saw it in a cookbook." Early version of "I know it's true; I saw it on the Internet."

Oh, the pleasures of the invented tradition. Especially pleasurable when it can be eaten!

O.H.

making pineapple 🍍 BBQ chicken legs 🍗 like mom used to make. bake for a little while then throw on the grill to char and caramelize the sugars.

can't remember last time I had these. did alter the recipe a little by adding minced onion and red pepper 🌶 flake.

20210515_172439.jpg

smells wonderful not even cooked yet!!!!

not sure where she got this recipe. certainly not mid-west indiana inspired.

camo

making pineapple 🍍 BBQ chicken legs 🍗 like mom used to make. bake for a little while then throw on the grill to char and caramelize the sugars.

can't remember last time I had these. did alter the recipe a little by adding minced onion and red pepper 🌶 flake.

View attachment 1267105

smells wonderful not even cooked yet!!!!

not sure where she got this recipe. certainly not mid-west indiana inspired.

camo
I don't know, it does have a fifties/sixties midwestern vibe to it with the pineapple ("Polynesian")/bbq thing going on.

Top Bottom