What's new

What's for dinner? 2011

Homemade Tortillas with a NM Chili marinaded flank steak.

proxy.php

Saturday night, Beef Wellington.

I got a nice piece of Aussie fillet, about 1lb, centre cut so uniform thickness and trimmed off a small amount of excess fat. Seasoned with salt and pepper and into a medium high heat saute pan for around 4 - 5 mins a side including the ends. Then out of the pan and I rubbed English mustard powder all over the meat and left to cool.

Got about 8oz mushrooms and blitzed about half and finely chopped the rest. I added a clove of garlic and blitzed that up with the pastey part as well as some S&P and a large pinch of cumin - I feel that this just enhances the earthiness of the mushrooms, but you need to be careful you don't end up with a mushroom curry. Then all into a pan and sauted off to drive out the moisture. I also sloshed in a (large) splosh of Cognac and flamed it off, no real reason, I just felt like some pyros in the kitchen. Then into a bowl to cool. Once cooled, I mixed in a chunk of foie gras pate.

In a new twist, I made a pancake. I had seen this variation in a few recipes but never tried it myself, and if I was being brutally honest I'd say the one I made was a touch too thick, but never having made pancakes before it was a reasonabe first attempt.

I would like to claim I made the puff pastry but that would be a lie, so instead I just defrosted it and rolled it out.

Time to construct the Welly and I laid the pancake on the pastry and added a layer of the duxelle. Then on with the meat and slathered more duxelle all around it. I wrapped the pancake round the meat and duxelle mixture and the pastry around that, squeezing as tight around as I could to get as much air out as possible, then sealing the edges and coating the whole thing with egg wash,and added some off cuts of pastry I had made to look like little leaves, ahh pretty. I sprinkled the top with some fleur de sel that I had bought last time we were in France on top and it was time for Mr. Oven.

He had been pre-heated to about 200C and in went the Welly for approximately 25 minutes. I wanted the meat to be medium rare and the pastry nice and crispy, and after approximately 25 minutes the pastry looked about right.

Out with the Welly to rest while I finished the sauce - I used the saute pan I had browned the meat in and added in the fat bits I trimmed off the meat, plus a minced shallot, garlic, diced carrot and celery, sweated off. Stirred in a tbl spoon of cornflour to help with the thickening and then in with half a bottle of Cab Sav and some stock, brought to a boil. Strain. Into a clean pan, whisk in some butter, check the seasoning and good to go.

When I carved the Welly I realised that the pancake had worked - the juices from the mushrooms and pate had been absorbed by the pancake and not the pastry so that was all nice and crisp still. Meat was just about perfect as was the St Julien I had found in the wine fridge to go with it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Inspired by the thread on what to eat at a Greek restaurant. . . Home made Donair (Lebanese dish very similar to Greek Gyro) with Tzatziki. Tomato, Lettuce, Feta, salad with sun dried tomato dressing. Whole wheat tortilla dipped in water and fried with a brushing of olive oil (in place of Pita).

Attachments

• $Aug 2 Greek Gyro and Salad 001.JPG
    $Aug 2 Greek Gyro and Salad 001.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 183
Saturday night, Beef Wellington.

I got a nice piece of Aussie fillet, about 1lb, centre cut so uniform thickness and trimmed off a small amount of excess fat. Seasoned with salt and pepper and into a medium high heat saute pan for around 4 - 5 mins a side including the ends. Then out of the pan and I rubbed English mustard powder all over the meat and left to cool.

Got about 8oz mushrooms and blitzed about half and finely chopped the rest. I added a clove of garlic and blitzed that up with the pastey part as well as some S&P and a large pinch of cumin - I feel that this just enhances the earthiness of the mushrooms, but you need to be careful you don't end up with a mushroom curry. Then all into a pan and sauted off to drive out the moisture. I also sloshed in a (large) splosh of Cognac and flamed it off, no real reason, I just felt like some pyros in the kitchen. Then into a bowl to cool. Once cooled, I mixed in a chunk of foie gras pate.

In a new twist, I made a pancake. I had seen this variation in a few recipes but never tried it myself, and if I was being brutally honest I'd say the one I made was a touch too thick, but never having made pancakes before it was a reasonabe first attempt.

I would like to claim I made the puff pastry but that would be a lie, so instead I just defrosted it and rolled it out.

Time to construct the Welly and I laid the pancake on the pastry and added a layer of the duxelle. Then on with the meat and slathered more duxelle all around it. I wrapped the pancake round the meat and duxelle mixture and the pastry around that, squeezing as tight around as I could to get as much air out as possible, then sealing the edges and coating the whole thing with egg wash,and added some off cuts of pastry I had made to look like little leaves, ahh pretty. I sprinkled the top with some fleur de sel that I had bought last time we were in France on top and it was time for Mr. Oven.

He had been pre-heated to about 200C and in went the Welly for approximately 25 minutes. I wanted the meat to be medium rare and the pastry nice and crispy, and after approximately 25 minutes the pastry looked about right.

Out with the Welly to rest while I finished the sauce - I used the saute pan I had browned the meat in and added in the fat bits I trimmed off the meat, plus a minced shallot, garlic, diced carrot and celery, sweated off. Stirred in a tbl spoon of cornflour to help with the thickening and then in with half a bottle of Cab Sav and some stock, brought to a boil. Strain. Into a clean pan, whisk in some butter, check the seasoning and good to go.

When I carved the Welly I realised that the pancake had worked - the juices from the mushrooms and pate had been absorbed by the pancake and not the pastry so that was all nice and crisp still. Meat was just about perfect as was the St Julien I had found in the wine fridge to go with it.

Sounds good!

Is it sad to say the one and only time I have had beef wellington was in the US of A (either denny's or Friendlies, can't remember) but it was good still! and Damn they give you big portions over there.

Sounds good!

Is it sad to say the one and only time I have had beef wellington was in the US of A (either denny's or Friendlies, can't remember) but it was good still! and Damn they give you big portions over there.

It's a great dish to do as it looks really impressive and as long as you can get your **** squared away and do things in the right sequence, it's actually quite simple to do.

Most Christmas Days here we go to a friends' place with about 8 other couples and assorted rugrats and I always do a couple of Wellys, they go down a storm and everyone thinks what a great chef I must be (!)

Tomato & Basil risotto.
Finished with some fresh grape tomatoes (from my garden) and a healthy amount of Parm.

proxy.php

Chilli-chickpea soup. Take 3 cans of chickpeas (or dried and re-hydrated), rinse well. Quickly brown some leek, garlic, carrot, thyme and chilli in a pan with butter or olive oil, followed by a good helping of chicken or veggie stock. add the chickpeas and simmer for at least 30mins or until the chickpeas are tender and the veggies are nice and soft.

Puree the chickpeas and veggies in a blender with some of the stock, a bit of cream and the juice of half a lemon. Season to taste and serve with crusty bread, nom nom nom.

It was experimental on my half, and I am REALLY glad I tried it, it was delicious but thank god I am used to veggies, that much fibre would create havoc on someone not used to it.

Tri-Tip (trying the reverse sear method), Chili Beans, Corn on the Cob, Cherry Pie with Cherry Vanilla.

Everything Homemade except for the ice cream (which I do make but not tonight).

proxy.php

Tonight was a small sirloin on the grill and some Steamfresh brocolli in the microwave. Nothing fancy, but it was quick and good.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Baked Stuffed Shells (Oregano, Italian Sausage cut on bias, Ricotta, & Mushrooms) with a very nice 2006 Australian Shiraz....

***Update*** It was pretty darn yummy...and my Sweet Blonde Nurse really liked it!

Attachments

• $005.jpg
    $005.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Top Bottom