What's new

Whats for Dinner? 2010

My work is having our Christmas lunch pot luck next week. My co-workers are trying to get me to make deep dish banana pudding. Vanilla wafers, homemade vanilla & brown sugar pudding, whipped cream and chocolate sauce. It's like a diet dessert!

Very sad to say...........

that after 16+ years living here in Switzerland, we have (for the very first time) had pizza delivered for dinner. The scary part is, that it was pretty good.

Fighting a ferocious cold that seems to get worse and worse. I fought it off tonite with some real ramen soup. No dusty packet soup here- I made the tonkotsu broth with pork bones and a big piece of pork skin I had left over from a bacon-curing experiment a couple of weeks ago. Served with toasted sesame seeds, scallions, and onsen tamago (slow-simmered egg), it was just the thing.

Still desperately trying to defeat germs. Tonight: Hainanese chicken. Poach chicken in water, ginger, scallion. Use resultant broth to make rice, with additional garlic and ginger. Serve sliced chicken over rice with dark soy and sweet chili sauce.

I'm also trying desperately to not let a cold catch me! Felt like crap this morning but fine now, so I think I'm winning.

Dinner was a simple spaghetti. Somehow I got away from making spaghetti for myself during the last many years, so it was good to have it again. I made the sauce from one of the jarred sauces and added a chipotli sausage along with some extra seasonings and sneezonings. Cooked the noodles in some lightly salted water into which I tossed a whole garlic clove. Topped the whole with some Parmesan and a shredded Italian cheese blend. Came out perfect with the right amount of spice to it!

Had chance to make dinner for my wife before she went to work tonight:001_wub:

Made my jalapeno wrapped chicken. and you better believe I wrapped it in bacon:thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Had chance to make dinner for my wife before she went to work tonight:001_wub:

Made my jalapeno wrapped chicken. and you better believe I wrapped it in bacon:thumbup1:

I'm sure I'm not the only one... Are you willing to share this recipe?

I'll be having a chunk of prime rib and yorkshire pudding - not sure if I will have a claret or a British ale .... any suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm sure I'm not the only one... Are you willing to share this recipe?

Super easy but a sharp knife is important.

4 Per serving:
4 chicken breast (boneless thin cut is preferable)
1 large jalapeno (sliced into quarters length wise)
2 slices of provolone (any favorite cheese will work, lightly crumbled blue cheese is excellent)
4 slices of premium bacon cut (don't skimp here and use that turkey bacon :cursing:)
4 long skewers
Favorite grilling seasoning.

I found slicing the chicken works best sliced length wise and can hold more filling of your favorites. Don't cut entirely in half but enough to pull open.

Lay half a slice of cheese per chicken breast inside it. Lay a sliced jalapeno inside ontop of the cheese. At this point if you have any favorite grilling fillings this is the time (onions work great too).

Roll breast together. Wrap bacon around each breast. Skewer each breast (I skewer two breast per skewer) to hold the rolls together. Sprinkle any favorite seasoning over it.

Place in a oven safe pan. I found that placing them close together in a baking plate works great and lets them cook in the run off more.

Bake at 400 for 60 minutes.

Easy peazy

Tonight was a pot roast I cooked in a dutch oven on the stove for about 3 hours, along with some potatoes and carrots cooked in the broth, and an onion on top of all of it for seasoning. I also had some green beans that I simmered for about 45 minutes with some fried up bacon and onion.

I found slicing the chicken works best sliced length wise and can hold more filling of your favorites. Don't cut entirely in half but enough to pull open.

Here's a suggestion that you find easier. Lay the chicken breast between two prices of wax paper and then pound with the flat side of a meat mallet. This will flatten it out to a uniform thickness making it easier to roll up. I've done few recipes that way.

That is one recipe that I think I'll try soon. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Here's a suggestion that you find easier. Lay the chicken breast between two prices of wax paper and then pound with the flat side of a meat mallet. This will flatten it out to a uniform thickness making it easier to roll up. I've done few recipes that way.

That is one recipe that I think I'll try soon. :thumbup1:

I tried that but depending on what you put in it it is difficult to roll up. If you can find chicken breasts that are large enough then it would work great.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

4 Per serving:
2 slices of provolone (any favorite cheese will work, lightly crumbled blue cheese is excellent)
4 slices of premium bacon cut (don't skimp here and use that turkey bacon :cursing:)
4 long skewers

Lay half a slice of cheese per chicken breast inside it. Lay a sliced jalapeno inside ontop of the cheese. At this point if you have any favorite grilling fillings this is the time (onions work great too).

Roll breast together. Wrap bacon around each breast. Skewer each breast (I skewer two breast per skewer) to hold the rolls together. Sprinkle any favorite seasoning over it.

Place in a oven safe pan. I found that placing them close together in a baking plate works great and lets them cook in the run off more.

Easy peazy

Thanks Mark! The only bit that I couldn't figure out is what you put on top of them. I see bits of green (Jalapeno I suspect) and red (more chili?)...

I will give it a go for sure! Do you have that with tortillas?

Thanks Mark! The only bit that I couldn't figure out is what you put on top of them. I see bits of green (Jalapeno I suspect) and red (more chili?)...

I will give it a go for sure! Do you have that with tortillas?

On top is a seasoning rub I use, it has some dried mustard in it. But on top you can use whatever you want. With the provolone jalapeno I need something a little sweet to it.

4 Per serving:
4 long skewers

Easy peazy

Hey Mark,

How much heat does it have. I love hot buy my husband, not so much. When we go to Thai, I go with 5 peppers and he will max out at 3. At 3 he is panting. :lol::lol:
I think he actually cursed at me last time I made chili. :001_tt2:

Top Bottom