What's new

What's everyone's next pen going to be?

Mine is usually a Caran D'ache (in fluorescent orange) to replace the one I just lost. They write great and the cartridge easily lasts ~2 years with my writing habits. The barrel is an aluminum extrusion and the pen has good heft. Most think it is an el cheapo plastic pen so you get a funny look when they use it. "Oh, wasn't expecting that." most common. I get them in orange so I can find it more easily as I am always putting it down somewhere and moving on.

proxy.php

Mine is usually a Caran D'ache (in fluorescent orange) to replace the one I just lost. They write great and the cartridge easily lasts ~2 years with my writing habits. The barrel is an aluminum extrusion and the pen has good heft. Most think it is an el cheapo plastic pen so you get a funny look when they use it. "Oh, wasn't expecting that." most common. I get them in orange so I can find it more easily as I am always putting it down somewhere and moving on.

proxy.php

Nice, have the bright red one for work. Its counter part is a Kaweco special long bp.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If this year’s Brown Leaf LE pipe doesn’t tickle my fancy, then a Lamy 2000 with fine nib.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Pilot Custom 823 broad nib in translucent Amber on its way. Good price, slightly used. Got the last one on the Bottom Shelf at Goulet.
There might be a Pelikan M600 EF in Red being ordered soon too. From Amazon; maybe they'll send me an M800 by mistake.:a50:
Then I'm done for the year. :001_cool: Like that's gonna happen.

I'm got an eye on 3 different Montverde pens.. a Prima, the Invincia Deluxe, and the Rodeo Drive Polaris. Also on the wish list are a few TWSBI's. A Vac Mini and Diamond 580AL.. and of course whatever awesome deals massdrop sends my way. lol

It's now been about 14 months since I last bought a fountain pen. Conclude what you like from my ability to be that precise.:001_cool:

I was thinking of getting another Platinum Century 3776 this year, but buying it from Nibs.com with the flex mod that he does. That's on hold for now, though. I think it might be one of those things where it turned out that I didn't really want what I thought I wanted.

I've been trying to learn to draw. I'm awful at it, but that doesn't bother me at all, as I'm having fun and learning a few things along the way. Mostly working in pencil, but I recently got some disposable fineliners to try pens too. And that has made me think that, instead of buying more disposables, I might get a Rapidograph set.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I have 6 Platinum Preppies coming (that wouldn't pay for the caps on any of my Pelikans or Pilot Custom 823 :001_cool:), plus a few packs of O-rings and some silicon grease to help seal them for eye-droppering. Most of them will be a birthday present for an artist friend along with some inks.
For myself, it's hard to say. Maybe another Custom 823 in medium or fine nib. Or save up for a couple of months and go for one of the Namiki Nippon Art Maki-e. Or save up for a few more months and get both. Anything to keep from buying another shave brush:001_smile

I've been trying to learn to draw. I'm awful at it, but that doesn't bother me at all, as I'm having fun and learning a few things along the way. Mostly working in pencil, but I recently got some disposable fineliners to try pens too. And that has made me think that, instead of buying more disposables, I might get a Rapidograph set.
Rapidograph pens are really nice to use, but...

Depending on size they are designed for very smooth papers, and to be used almost exclusively vertically. If you are sketching or holding the pen(s) currently used in a normal writing grip, consider a regular EF or F nibbed fountain pen rather than a Rapidograph. I forget the size that begins to catch on anything but the smoothest of papers, but it wasn't very small. They are designed for drafting more than regular drawing. They use a needle down the center of the nib tube rather than a split nib and provide an extremely consistent line width as long as used vertically (the outer diameter of the tube determines the line width.) Keeping them empty and clean when not in use is critical, as any solids that settle between the needle and tube clog the flow, and can be very difficult to clean. The needles in the smaller diameter tips are incredibly fine steel wires, which can bend and jam easily when attempting to clean.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but do some more research into what they are good for first, as they aren't a regular fountain pen...

Rapidograph pens are really nice to use, but...

Depending on size they are designed for very smooth papers, and to be used almost exclusively vertically. If you are sketching or holding the pen(s) currently used in a normal writing grip, consider a regular EF or F nibbed fountain pen rather than a Rapidograph. I forget the size that begins to catch on anything but the smoothest of papers, but it wasn't very small. They are designed for drafting more than regular drawing. They use a needle down the center of the nib tube rather than a split nib and provide an extremely consistent line width as long as used vertically (the outer diameter of the tube determines the line width.) Keeping them empty and clean when not in use is critical, as any solids that settle between the needle and tube clog the flow, and can be very difficult to clean. The needles in the smaller diameter tips are incredibly fine steel wires, which can bend and jam easily when attempting to clean.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but do some more research into what they are good for first, as they aren't a regular fountain pen...

Thanks, definitely points worth bringing up.

I've heard about some of the unique qualities of Rapidographs, and realize that they require care and are best for specialized uses. But I'm considering them anyway because one of my drawing books recommends them, with some of the same caveats that you mention.

And there is certainly no hurry. Those disposable pens that I bought should last me a while. My really fine nibbed fountain pens are among the least likely to be inked normally, but I do have dip pens in a variety of widths that aren't getting much use for writing.

I'm not giving up on normal fountain pens, either, I use them for most of my writing, but I have so many now that I don't think I'm very close to buying another. A Rapidograph set is on my Amazon wish list. Whether it will ever move to the shopping cart is undecided, but it's possible.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've got one of those TWSBI knockoffs coming, too. Less than $3 USD will make someone a good gift I hope.

A fake TWSBI made by the folks at Hero who do "51" knock-offs? That'll be enough to make @brianw 's head axeplode.

proxy.php

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Black and gold Platinum 3776 on the way. Its coming from Japan, so probably a few weeks before it gets here.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Supposedly N.O.S. Pelikan M200 green with box and papers. We'll see by Friday if this is true.

Top Bottom