What's new

What's Does a "Lubricating Strip" Do?

I've said it's a nice feature that tells when to change blades.
It's not. I used my second cartridge this year and again strip did not fade but blades were dull to the point they did not shave.
It could be that I do not use them often enough so blades got dull only by being in a humid environment such as bathroom.

I find that the strips provide a lot of slickness and eliminate the need to relather. Then again it all depends on the quality of the strip. For example, Gillette lube strips are super slick on their good news razors (in my experience) but the Dorco/Dollar Shave Club lube strips are basically there for decoration and are useless.

I find that the strips provide a lot of slickness and eliminate the need to relather. Then again it all depends on the quality of the strip. For example, Gillette lube strips are super slick on their good news razors (in my experience) but the Dorco/Dollar Shave Club lube strips are basically there for decoration and are useless.

^I believe this.

gillette strip.jpg

It's been a long time since a cart hit my cheeks...I forget what its like to shave with a cart...not that I am interested in going back in time...

The guy in this video says they are designed to sabotage and wear out the head faster so that you need to replace the razor:

IMHO they are there to try and mimic traditionally made perfect lather. They leave something behind to make the skin slicker just like perfect lather.

In this day and age men don't know what perfect lather is thus the question on this board. Most of us with the experience of past generations know what perfect lather is and how cushioning it is even for subsequent passes with the simple addition of water (take your wet hand and run it over an already shaven part of your face and make another pass and you'll understand). Modern shaving foam *can't* duplicate this thus the strip.

Chris

I always assumed they were there for the guys that just used the razor with water only. Basically it's a glycerine strip I think, so when combined with water, it lubricated the skin enough that you could shave.

I always thought those strips were in the wrong place. Personally, I'm way away from carts. There are those that like them and who am I to tell them not to use them. I try and tell them of the joys of a real shave. Been successful with a few of them. Bet if Gillette remade the Techmatic as a triple band, guys would buy them.

I use a Trac II deluxe as my travel razor and have used dollar general plus blades, which means lubrastrip. With soap and lather they really don’t do anything, but as others have said it does provide some slickness after lather is scraped off. I hear some of my friends “shave” with bar soap and disposables. I shudder. But imagine it would provide some lube in that case.

If you use a PSO or a pre shave cream, with a moisturizing shave cream or soap, and follow the golden rule of not shaving where there isn't soap. What does it matter?
I prefer the first two generations of carts - Trac II and Atra compatible without strips. I have no choice with Sensor and later products. Is it suppose to add a post shave enhancement? After adding Witch Haxel, Alum, AS and a balm, who will know?

Shaving with bar soap? I can see the razor just stick to ones face and not to mention the rash! I hear people say they wash their hair with bar soap. Cannot see that either. Bet they they use Ivory which is the worst. Maybe I could get by with Dr. Bronner in a pinch

I remember reading an article somewhere, which stated that the combination of the 'fins' in the front of the razor, & the lube strip, were together intended to stretch the skin, so that the razor blade saw a flatter smoother surface.

Top Bottom