What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
20191025_175010.jpg
spaghetti and meatballs tonight. It was delicious.

Last week we were in Bali, where duck in various forms is quite popular. The cafe at the hotel did a 'bebek Lepang' which as far as I can work out is duck from Lepang, a district in Bali. It seemed to have been cooked confit style then fried to crisp up the skin, and it was excellent.

So yesterday I tried something similar, but with chicken as good duck is hard to come by here.

I salted the legs and left them for about 5 hours, then rinsed off and dried on a towel.

Pre-heated the oven to 140C. Into my shallow Le Cruset grated a thumb-sized chunk of ginger, and 3 cloves of garlic. 2 good teaspoons of turmeric powder, one stick cinnamon, one stalk lemongrass, bruised. 4 small shallots, halved, and a couple of whole cloves of garlic, then a large pinch of salt and a small bunch of coriander leaves. We have some turmeric leaf growing in a pot on the balcony so one of those in as well. Finally two chunks of galangal again bruised. Then added a litre of canola oil and stirred everything together to mix it all in, and added the chicken.

Covered and into the oven for 2.5 hrs.

At the end the cooking, I removed the legs and kept warm, and fished out the solid bits and strained off the rest: I was left with the grated ginger and garland the shallots. I kept the strained oil as well. To the pulp I added a tbsp of cornflower and in a little of the oil, fried it until crispy. Set that aside and fried the chicken skin side down so the skin crisped up. Serve with the crispy bits on top.

Mrs P made a 'sambal matah' a Balinese chili relish, shredded chilli, lemongrass, shallot, lime juice, salt and oil, and we did some steamed rice.

I have to say it turned out even better than I had hoped: the chicken was tender and juicy, and the flavours has penetrated the meat. You could taste every single spice and crunchy bits gave a great contrast. Sambal matah works perfectly with the dish and this was a winner.

This would be good for entertaining as you can do everything in advance, just crisp up the chicken when ready.

Mgb0GWcmRfKs0W7zlrax5g.jpg
PKMpQV5QQ1KSQAKfei5+vw.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I hurt my knee, so Texas Red is too labor intensive at this time, so I have some clam and corn chowder cooking

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
1 medium white onion
2 celery stalks
2 or 3 Russet potates (depending on size)
Four 6 oz cans of chopped clams in liquid
2 Bay leaves
1 can of corn
2 cups of chicken broth
1 cup of heavy cream

Chop up onions and celery to your size liking. Put some butter in a pan and cook until they soften a bit- chop up the potatoes while your waiting. Drain clams and save the juice. When the onions and celery are softened, add the chicken stock, bay leaves, potatoes, heavy cream, and clam juice. Bring to low simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once the potatoes soften up (about 20 minutes in my case), add clams and corn, and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.

This is all pretty general. I ended up adding a little more stock because it thickened a bit more than I liked. Also, near the end, I chunked a half stick of butter in. It gives it a real rich taste.

Crispy skin fillet of Barramundi, served with steamed veggies and thin-sliced Desiree potatoes pan-fried in home-made ghee and a single crushed garlic clove.

proxy.php

Even though im in florida and it is 82 , it is november and the start of beef stew season. Made a batch today in the instapot.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have friends staying for the weekend, so I tried the "Balinese confit chicken" again: I forgot the cinnamon stick and didn't have any coriander but everything else was the same. I think it was better than the first attempt so I would leave those out next time as well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Wife is sick so I made a different kind of soup. Its Chile Relleno Chicken Soup. Grilled Poplano peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, chicken broth, chicken thighs, cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Hot sauce, avocado and cilantro on top.
20191111_180423.jpg
20191111_180430.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Getting a little cool, so beef stew with onions, potatoes, and carrots. Along with some skillet cornbread.

1574560045314.png

1574560087686.png

Top Bottom