What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

Over the weekend I picked up a couple pounds of sweet peas. So today I grabbed a zucchini from the garden and a bunch of other "stuff" to make stir fry. My wok is not nearly big enough so i tossed them on my 22" blackstone griddle. I learned that the darn thing doesn't get hot enough to stir fry and I completely filled the griddle but they came out cooked but crunchy. Not as good as a hot wok but not too bad.

Then I remembered I picked up some scallops yesterday so I grab a pad of butter and some salt and garlic and head back to the hot (sort of) griddle. Unfortunately dinner was snarfed up before I could take any pictures - seems like the family unit liked it.

Beverage: water
Music (sic): some tom clancy audio book via audible

I wasn't trying to eat healthy... it just kind of accidentally ended up that way.

I've been on the road abs haven't looked at the stickies much. Wow, y'all do some great stuff!

Tonight was homemade fettuccine with butter, Saint Agur, Parmigiano Reggiano, black pepper, and arugula from the garden.

View attachment 1005600

Nice and peppery!

Wonderful looking pasta dish Doak!

Have to add smoking a roast to my need-to-try list, looks very inviting!

Grilled Skirt Steak Sandwich, reprise... more arugula and more Balsamic glaze do the trick.

IMG_E6109.JPG

dave

#1 -Grilled wild caught U.S. shrimp used to top a grilled pizza. Sauce was made with a blitzed jar of our tomato chunks, horseradish sauce and an Asian sweet hot chili sauce. Topped with dried oregano, chili flakes, parm, Sriracha, fresh basil olive oil. Our fish man posted on Instagram today that he's now carrying Ontario raised shrimp, next up, i think they're going to be costly... pay him a visit Saturday.

#2 - Was more of the tomato sauce plain, sliced pepperoncini, Hungarian hot sausage, bocconcini, dried oregano, chili flakes, parm, olive oil and fresh basil.

IMG_E6130.JPG
IMG_6131.JPG
IMG_E6137.JPG
IMG_E6138.JPG
IMG_E6147.JPG

dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Golly, guys! Great dinners!

We poached a chicken in water, a bit of soy sauce, a bunch of ginger, some scallion, and black peppercorns.

20190808_210741.jpg

While all that was going on, I made some quick pickles and a new batch of chili oil. All that wound up on top of some rice noodles and a couple ladles' worth of the poaching liquid (now enriched with the yummy chicken essence).

20190808_210627.jpg

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Outstanding looking plates gents!

Cod fillets with a pea/potato mash & crisped pancetta and shallots...

IMG_2172 copy.jpg

Nicely done Aaron, Doak & BT.

Almost burger/slider time here, the slicer tomatoes are just about ready to be put to use. How big a patty do you make for your sliders Aaron. Last year i started ordering slider buns from a nearby bakery for our usual 100g patties as what's sold as hamburger buns around here are mammoth versions.

That chicken noodle plate pops right out of the screen Doak, looks great!

Real nice fish plate BT! Now that we have a really good fishmonger around here we're trying to eat fish on a more frequent basis, always, always looking for new ideas across the board.

Great stuff guys!
dave

Amish Paste tomatoes are finally starting to ripen up, we're way behind, not enough to start canning or sauce making but gazpacho will use up a good chunk of them. Fall like day today, the clouds even looked it, could have gone with a hot soup.

Think this one falls into vegan/vegetarian class... Black bean, fresh corn gazpacho. Tomatoes, onion and chunks of dried sourdough blitzed in a food processor. Added lime juice, drained black beans, shucked barely cooked corn, minced onion, olive oil, tomato juice, salt & pepper, Mad Gringo Deadly Inferno hot sauce, cilantro, Indigo Blue Berry cherry tomatoes, cilantro...

Beverage - Whitewater Brewing Co., Class V IPA
Music - Uncut, 2019 06, The National

IMG_E6181.JPG
IMG_E6185.JPG
IMG_E6183.JPG
IMG_E6192.JPG
IMG_E6193.JPG

dave

Make do Paella 2019... Wild caught US shrimp, Portuguese from the corner store butcher/grocer, beans from the garden that the backyard wild rabbit hadn't consumed yet, tomato & garlic from the yard, first bulb from this harvest, Arborio rice, still can't locate Bomba here. Shrimp bits from the freezer added to chicken stock from the freezer and cooked for a real nice flavour boost. Cilantro and toasted pepitas for fun...

My daughter was in Barcelona a month ago and had paella a couple times, she was quite happy eating this stab at it, worked out okay.

Beverage - NEW red elbowing out the old - Eastdell Estates, Black Cab 2017

Music - Flamenco - Andalucia, Guitare Solo - Andre Charbonneau
Music - Putumayo Presents, Gypsy Groove

IMG_E6229.JPG
IMG_E6234.JPG
IMG_E6237.JPG
IMG_E6238.JPG
EPCHE5426.JPG

IMG_E6252.JPG

IMG_E6254.JPG
IMG_E6256.JPG
IMG_E6258.JPG
IMG_E6259.JPG

dave

Saturday evening exploration/experiment...

Fish taco with Lake Erie caught pickerel/walleye. Lime juice pickled Hot Portugal peppers from pots outback, recipe wanted jalapenos but the Portugals just kill them. Sauce of sour cream, Hellman's, lime juice and zest, garden garlic, garden oregano, more Hot Portugal pepper, salt & pepper.

Fish was coated with cornstarch salt & pepper, skillet fried in a bit of oil.

Radishes, cilantro, cabbage, red kale, Cholula hot sauce, barely cooked cob of corn with butter salt and pepper.

Beverage - Paloma... big nah on Tequila, no surprise.

Dessert - Nanaimo Bar(s), it's got chocolate.

The intangibles...
  • Tom Waits, Real Gone
  • Wolf Parade, Apologies to the Queen Mary
  • Uncut 2019 08, Frontier Sounds

file3-33.jpeg
file4-31.jpeg
file5-25.jpeg
file6-19.jpeg
file7-14.jpeg
file1-43.jpeg
file2-35.jpeg

dave

Grating tomatoes did not get me where i was led to believe i was headed... no negative impact on taste.

Shrimp pasta and fresh tomato sauce. Tomato sauce with lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Shrimp sauteed with garlic. Whole deal garnished with lemon zest, parm and fresh basil.

Fresh pasta by Vinnie, wild caught US shrimp, backyard for the tomatoes, garlic and basil... to cold for lemons here.

Music - Marianne Faithfull, Horses and High Heels
Music - Delmark 50th Anniversary Collection, For Jumpers Only!

file1-44.jpeg
file4-33.jpeg

dave

Golly, guys! Great dinners!

We poached a chicken in water, a bit of soy sauce, a bunch of ginger, some scallion, and black peppercorns.

View attachment 1006188

While all that was going on, I made some quick pickles and a new batch of chili oil. All that wound up on top of some rice noodles and a couple ladles' worth of the poaching liquid (now enriched with the yummy chicken essence).

View attachment 1006189

This had me getting hungry, looks great Doak

9E70BF08-B49D-4F9F-93C2-0D99AB7E3892.jpeg
7524E483-DD4F-438A-BAD4-8076089CD093.jpeg
Filet mignon seared with fresh homegrown rosemary. Served with a side of wild, hand picked chanterelle mushrooms. A local delicacy.
Mountain living can be fun...

Private supply of chanterelles, very nice! Looks delicious.

I resort to my private supply of salad greens and ingredients or at least what the rabbits share with me...

Salad of mixed greens, white radish, Indigo Apple tomatoes, Tolli's Sweet Italian peppers and green onions. Rabbits got the carrots so from the market, carrots, mushrooms & feta cheese. Balsamic vinaigrette.

No cook pasta sauce, 1.5lb Amish Paste tomatoes chopped, 2c sliced mushrooms, minced garlic clove or two, 1/2c olive oil, 8oz. bocconcini slices, salt and pepper, mix altogether and let sit at room temp for an hour or so...

Spoon over the steaming hot cooked pasta of your choice and top with fresh basil, black pepper, parm and drizzle of more olive oil. Recipe came from one of the early Moosewood books, super simple, the taste of peak summer!

file1-45.jpeg
file2-37.jpeg

dave

I cannot claim any credit for this, as it was in a restaurant: Lamb Wellington. I know the chef quite well, and was there Saturday with the missus and I knew she'd be away on a business trip Wednesday night so I asked him if he could make a Beef Welly that night. He suggested a lamb version so I duly rocked up last night.

He's taken 2 lamb loins, seared them off and seasoned with salt and Kampot pepper, then sandwiched a lump of foie gras in the middle, wrapped in mushrooms and then sealed in the pastry.

I requested no potatoes as I thought it might be a bit much, and I was happy I did as it was quite rich, just the various veges and a lamb jus was enough. Most excellent, and with a bottle of red from the Cahors region of France, it hit the spot.

Lamb Welly.jpg

My photography skills are rubbish as usual so apologies for that.

A couple pots of soup. One of just veggies and one with chicken (thighs and drumsticks).
A portion of the broth will be sorted out for fast breaking.
Kale, green beans, peas, russets, carrots sweet potatoes, fennel, corn, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, clove, hemp oil, Himalayan salt, acv and coconut vinegar and aminos, lemon and lime juice, yerba mate, and water.
070E63FA-B149-4840-B449-27BBEC64284F.jpeg

373B00A6-E7AA-4744-9149-497B8AE8A48A.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom