What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

And you can still hear? :)

Yes, I’m a heretic.

Owen you didn't abandon Ohio in protest of Cleveland's WMMS giving Rush their radio break and getting whole giant ball rolling?

Neil Peart grew up close by, his rural town swallowed by our urban sprawl and amalgamation.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Owen you didn't abandon Ohio in protest of Cleveland's WMMS giving Rush their radio break and getting whole giant ball rolling?

Neil Peart grew up close by, his rural town swallowed by our urban sprawl and amalgamation.
dave
Nah, I just like poking Rush fans. :)

Yeah i know, i'm poking back, a little sand in the vaseline keeps things interesting. Rush fans are a resilient lot.

Leftovers... half a smoked chicken from the weekend, half a jar (one cup) of our tomato sauce, cup of heavy cream, ginger, butter, cumin, minced chili's, cilantro - basmati rice, half hour Buttered Chicken.

file1-63.jpeg
file-78.jpeg

dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'll just leave this here...

On topic, I made steak salad from a beautiful grass fed ribeye and mixed greens last night.

Weeknight quickie...

I guess you'd call them Chimichurri hash browns, local chorizo, softish boiled eggs & avocado topped with dukka.

All my Rush albums are on vinyl but one and my turntable neeeds new motor mounts, so just listened to radio and world news during supper, they didn't play any Rush, Rush will wait until the weekend...

file2-53.jpeg

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Weeknight quickie...

I guess you'd call them Chimichurri hash browns, local chorizo, softish boiled eggs & avocado topped with dukka.

All my Rush albums are on vinyl but one and my turntable neeeds new motor mounts, so just listened to radio and world news during supper, they didn't play any Rush, Rush will wait until the weekend...

View attachment 981324
dave
While it all looks good, those eggs look glorious.

Thank you Owen!
About a seven minute egg, i was aiming for a little runnier by half a minute but got side tracked.

Cold, straight from the fridge, large egg into rolling boiling water, covered and left on the heat boiling for 'x' minutes then pulled and into ice water bath for a couple minutes to stop the cooking and cool enough to handle but... i crack/shatter the shells before the ice bath as it's supposed to allow the ice water under the shell and help in getting a clean peeling of farm fresh eggs, so far the results are worthy.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Didn’t snap a picture because I was too hungry, but I had a Montecristo prior to coming to work. These rank near the top of the sandwich pyramid, IMO.

First new one of the weekend, BC Halibut poached in EVOO with fennel wedges, tomato cherries, olives attop pureed potatoes loaded with the poaching oil.

Fish gets poached in 150F olive oil first, pulled and in with the fennel, olives tomatoes and fresh rosemary, temp up to 210F, when that's all done pulled and oil is used to silken up the potato/milk mix. Thought everything would come out tasting fishy but not the case, even the halibut is very mild tasting.

Black glossy plates do not play nice for photos...

Always a garden salad side, soon to be from the garden.

Dessert - grocer's brownies.

Wine - Pelee Island Baco Noir, this time not the best paring but still tasty wine.

Music - Yes it was time... Rush, Feedback, only 27 minutes long so hd to play twice
Music - Cracker, The Golden Age
Music - Wilco, What's Your 20?, Essential Tracks 1994-2014
Music - Cracker, Showroom of Compassion

file6-24.jpeg
file-80.jpeg
file1-65.jpeg
file2-54.jpeg
file5-31.jpeg
file4-38.jpeg

dave

New style of beer i've never had before of if i did it was while in Munich eons ago... couple more new recipes and spring's exclamation mark, the first local asparagus.

Smoked jerk chicken thighs, orange juice brine for half the day then patted dry, oiled & rubbed with a mix of nutmeg, cayenne & black pepper. Grilled smoked with alder chips, cinnamon sticks, thyme sprigs and allspice berries. Made up foil packets for the berries so they'd stay atop the coals. Had dry sprigs and when added to the coals they burst into flames and gone in a flash so had to retrieve fresh from the kitchen.

While i tended the chicken fire my wife made a pan of Herbed 'Persian-ish' Rice, amazing tahdig to crunch away on, topped with more chopped herbs and dukka.

Only one way to do fresh crunchy greens, steamed to vivid then butter salt and pepper.

Beverage - new to the store shelves yesterday Beau's 'Helles', local micro version of a pale German lager.

Music - Crowded House, Woodface
Music - Pat Metheny, Secret Story
Music - ... and the artist before Metheny in my alphabetical shelving...
Music - Metallica, Load

Tonight's colour scheme, brown...
file-82.jpeg
file1-67.jpeg
file2-56.jpeg
file3-48.jpeg
file4-40.jpeg
file5-33.jpeg
file6-26.jpeg

dave

Oh man Dave....that looks awesome. We have some local Asparagus to cook up soon

As for todays lunch, it was leftovers. So we made some hotdog inspired chili cheese nachos.

Tortillas, beanless chili, cheese, cheese sauce, chives, onion, pickles, Sriracha.

IMG_20190520_115559.jpg

Baking not cooking...

Yesterday was a national holiday up here and the rhubarb was ready for the year's first harvest. My wife's first rhubarb pie for 2019 plus a few freezer blackberries from 2018, froze a lot of those, was a bountiful year. Forgot how much colour fresh rhubarb has, off to a good start for the 2019 garden.

Tart Greek yogurt to go augment the tart tart rhubarb.

file-83.jpeg

dave

Top Bottom