What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You'll need to get that garden growing for maters like that.

I don't even know if my tiller will still start. It has a Honda engine though. I need to check that when I get back home...it's only going to be a few short weeks until time to start planting things. I left the gate open to the garden and the cows have been wandering around in it. Should be good and fertilized by now.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I don't even know if my tiller will still start. It has a Honda engine though. I need to check that when I get back home...it's only going to be a few short weeks until time to start planting things. I left the gate open to the garden and the cows have been wandering around in it. Should be good and fertilized by now.

A little motivation.

20190207_185327.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Oh that's a good lookin' 'mater. Is that moisture on it tears of joy from your eyes?

They're gardeners tears of joy. I would say it was so hot here I was sweating but you would not believe me.
I had one of those baloney sandwiches the other day.....hold the baloney.....hold the mayo. :)

Simple week night soup to chase away two days of freezing rain...

Blitzed blackbean/chipotle soup with chorizo/cherrytomatoes/cilantro/greekyogurt.

file1.jpeg
file-1.jpeg

dave

Last edited:
Not sure how I missed this thread until now... Normally I am unable to contribute to these kinds of threads be my cooking never turns out that pretty and my photography skills are lacking even more so.

But I do know a bit about duck eggs. They are a staple at my house (we have ducks and chickens) so I tend to have a ready supply of both. As noted earlier they duck eggs are generally larger than chicken but if you don't tell someone what they are eating they will probably never notice the difference. Also as noted the shell tends to be quite a bit thicker. I also find that the color of the yoke is a bit different and the white seems to stick together a bit more.

Also the proteins in chicken and duck eggs are slightly different - I have been told you can be allergic to one but not the other. If you are baking and need to beat the egg whites I find the duck eggs end up fluffier. If you want to make them into hard boiled eggs boil them for a bit longer (although I think this is due to size not type of egg).

I find duck eggs quite versatile. I am not sure I would seek them out at the store but I can't remember the last time I bought eggs at a store.

Ruckin.

.ps even with a bunch of snow on the ground both the chickens and ducks are laying. If want to see something funny put a duck egg next to a banty egg for size comparison.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Is been a while since I made pasta from scratch, so

20190209_125535.jpg

Just a simple pasta recipe (for every 100g of 00 semolina flour, add 1 egg, 1 tsp oil, and 1 tsp of water) gussied up a bit by adding some turmeric and black pepper to the dough. The dressing is just ground fennel, ground cumin, and za'atar mixed with just enough olive oil to coat the pasta and set on low heat until the spices foam.

Except to curl the scallions was banished from the kitchen for meddling, my wife's chicken dinner, chicken stuffed with lemons, garlic & fresh rosemary, then surrounded with root vegetable chunks to soak up the rendered fat, yellow fleshed potatoes, carrots, parsnip & rutabaga. Shiitake/porcini 'farrotto', is that what you call farro cooked like a risotto?

Local, as 'in the city', vineyard/winery, Angels Gate, 2017, Pinot Gris

Music - 54°40; Casual Viewin'

file1-1.jpeg
file-2.jpeg

file-3.jpeg

dave

Not sure how I missed this thread until now... Normally I am unable to contribute to these kinds of threads be my cooking never turns out that pretty and my photography skills are lacking even more so.

But I do know a bit about duck eggs. They are a staple at my house (we have ducks and chickens) so I tend to have a ready supply of both. As noted earlier they duck eggs are generally larger than chicken but if you don't tell someone what they are eating they will probably never notice the difference. Also as noted the shell tends to be quite a bit thicker. I also find that the color of the yoke is a bit different and the white seems to stick together a bit more.

Also the proteins in chicken and duck eggs are slightly different - I have been told you can be allergic to one but not the other. If you are baking and need to beat the egg whites I find the duck eggs end up fluffier. If you want to make them into hard boiled eggs boil them for a bit longer (although I think this is due to size not type of egg).

I find duck eggs quite versatile. I am not sure I would seek them out at the store but I can't remember the last time I bought eggs at a store.

Ruckin.

.ps even with a bunch of snow on the ground both the chickens and ducks are laying. If want to see something funny put a duck egg next to a banty egg for size comparison.

Thanks @ruckin!

Do ducks lay as many eggs or as often as chickens? Like you mentioned i didn't noticed any sort of pronounced taste difference eating the duck eggs but i can now say that i've eaten them. Same supplier also has quail eggs, 15 eggs in the same size carton, same price, next up on the 'never tried but must' list.

dave

I have not had quail eggs in a long time... My grandmother had some and I remember her making me omelets. She would always tell me to get a dozen or so because they are small. In terms of laying... ducks can be like chickens.. some breeds lay more consistently than others (they have meat and egg breeds). The last batch of ducks my wife got (for teaching dogs herding) lay 300+ days a year. We have 15 ducks and get about 3-4 eggs a day but there is a foot of snow on the ground. Our chickens (we have a dozen or so) we get about the same but they are smaller.

Kind of funny the pacific northwet is going through a cold spell and if I dont pick up the eggs promptly they are frozen. If they crack I toss those but I suppose I could bring them inside and use them right then and be okay... but easier to just toss into the woods.

Sorry I can't give you any reliable info about quail eggs but it has been a long time since I have messed with them. The ones my grandmother had had a slightly blue shell.

Arrived home this morning after a few days at the house in France - dinner in each evening. I previously posted a Merguez sausage casserole, now with pictures at 3,4 and 5. Also, a nasi goreng with Merguez and fried eggs, lamb chops and saute potatoes, then stir fried turkey and fried rice as a side then finally a soup using up broccoli, potatoes and some Savoy cabbage, enriched with creme fraiche

IMG_1736.JPG
IMG_1739.JPG
IMG_1740.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG
IMG_1742.JPG
IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1754.JPG

@Rushman2112 - No place like home...

'crocodiles in the swamp' - gabrielle hamilton in her directions for...

Braised Short Rib Pho - Made oxtail stock in the pressure cooker Friday, bone simple, oxtails, onions and ginger broiled to colour then into the pot with star anise, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and water. Braised the cross-cut ribs in the stock late last night. Bok choy, oyster mushrooms and red pepper charred in a maxed out wok just before putting it together in the bowls. Stock flavoured up with soy sauce, fish sauce and anchovies because the fish sauce bottle went dry... sambal olek and lime juice for the bowl... ribs and pasta reheated/warmed in the stock before bowling...

Music - Whitehorse; The Northern South Vol. 1
''''''''''''- Them Crooked Vultures; Them Crooked Vultures
''''''''''''- Chris Spedding; Click Clack

file7.jpeg
file2.jpeg
file3.jpeg
file4.jpeg
file5.jpeg
file1-2.jpeg

''''''''''''''''''
dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave! We love the place but it's too far away to make the best use of if we were honest... 13 hour flight, plus at least 4 hours from CDG airport. We got back yesterday at 6am and now I am facing Monday like a zombie (more so than normal).

Thanks Dave! We love the place but it's too far away to make the best use of if we were honest... 13 hour flight, plus at least 4 hours from CDG airport. We got back yesterday at 6am and now I am facing Monday like a zombie (more so than normal).

That is a long long jaunt! Do you see a day when things are flipped and your base is France/Europe with the occasional short stay back in SE Asia?
dave

I know! As I get older it takes more out of me... Especially coming back. Going generally isn't such an effort and I can get some sleep, then I am ok to drive 300kms (the flight gets in about 7am) but from Europe back to Asia is a killer. Virtually no sleep on the plane, waste Sunday in a stupor, awake at 5am, and today feel like cr@p. Why do I do it???

To your question Dave, the job is here. Although I am a qualified accountant with more than 30 years' experience, I have been away from UK for 22 of them and it would be almost impossible to get a job back in London, unless my current masters decided that they wanted to move me there. We may end up back there after we retire, say another 4 or 5 years but we just cannot figure out the best plan right now. It would have been France almost certainly, but Brexit has thrown that up into the air. Too old to get a visa for Australia or NZ, Singapore too expensive, Thailand too uncertain on political front, Indonesia medical care is rubbish...

Yeah i was thinking of the time when the two of you have retired. In five years time who knows what may have become of the Brexit mess. I'm assuming that if Brexit goes through it's going to make it far more difficult, a big hassle for non-EU citizens of Europe to take up permanent residence in the EU countries.
dave

Top Bottom