What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

A new iteration on pizza dough, new recipe plus tweaking, why follow the rules. 48-72 hour New York style dough and then two new never tried before topping setups and a new baking methodology to try... have to find a nice fresh juicy pineapple.

View attachment 946789
dave

... finished...

Thursday's dough used tonight. Dough was made with '00' soft flour, yeast - dated Jan. 12, 2014, maybe time to buy a new 454g package, it goes a long ways, used 0.8g for this dough (0.3% of flour's weight), threw in 6.7g (2% of flour) diastatic malt. Pretty much a no knead dough, only mix enough to make sure all the ingredients are well combined. (64% water & 2.8% kosher salt based on flour weight of 100% were the other ingredients.) Very nice dough to form into crust, handled real nice.

Oven cranked to max for an hour with pizza steel in there, i get a little better then 550F.
Two new ones, dough was split evenly between the two.

#1 - Skillet pizza, tomato sauce, fresh mozz, dried oregano, finished with evoo, chili flakes & anchovies. Summer's backyard tomato sauce which is Amish Paste tomatoes through the tomato mill, cooked down a third then fresh garlic slices and basil added before jarring up and canning, the stuff is great.

#2 - Canadian Pizza, the one with pineapple. Roasted pineapple in preheating oven, tomato sauce doctored with Sambal Olek & chili flakes, pepperoncini, shallot slices, schekinspeck(sp?) which i'll call German prosciutto, smoky like bacon, delicious. More of the fresh mozzarella, evoo, fresh basil. Not bad, my daughter is a fan of Hawaiian pizza but even she voted the skillet pizza, #1, the better of the two. Bites without pineapple were great, with, interesting, not offensive but not my thing, i've tried it, can now move on.

Dessert - pineapple, now we're talking, a lot not needed so it becomes the basis for a fruit bowl, Red Prince apple, red fleshed orange, banana, Greek yogurt, currants & maple syrup... dark chocolate with coffee.

Beverage - the always in the glass Pelee Island Baco Noir never misses well maybe not for chicken...

Music - Peter Gabriel, US. (producedbyalocal)

Pictures... remembered to squeeze in a few.

file6-1.jpeg
file4-5.jpeg

11" skillet, my hand's not that big...
file7-1.jpeg
file3-5.jpeg
file-29.jpeg
file2-8.jpeg
file5-2.jpeg
file1-16.jpeg
file8-1.jpeg

dave

Last edited:
One more from he pizza chronicles with some prep for tomorrow. Fingers crossed, soft boiled eggs marinating in Braggs soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup, couple ginger slices and water.

file-30.jpeg
file1-17.jpeg

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Getting ready to make mini penne with acorn squash and roasted garlic from the Vegetarian Planet book (forgot to include wine in picture). Recipe originally calls for ziti, but we had penne and that’s what the wife wanted.

F1D81C21-7D3A-4A5E-B317-1A454E03A119.jpeg

Thanks BT!
Hope you enjoy it Owen, haven't made that one before.

A bowl of new tonight, four new to me recipes/methodologies to hack together for a bowl of soup, Italian/Canadian Ramen.

Salmon marinated in a maplesyrup/lemonjuice/ricevinegar/miso mix except the tub of miso i saw at the back of the fridge was curry paste so substituted soy sauce. Pan fried salmon, recipe from Cooking in Color, book i bought for Christmas, last night's pineapple pizza was from it too, been very very good to us so far, Canadian book.
Recently pulled the pressure out of retirement and have made pork stock & beef stock using it. Today tried Martha Stewart's pressure cooker chicken stock and see no reason to go back to the traditional. Quick cool in the snow bank out back.
Cooks Illustrated suggestions for consistently cooking soft boiled eggs, worked a charm. Cooked and peeled yesterday, marinated overnight which was another never done before then reheated today for maybe two minutes back into the marinate that had been brought to a boil and taken off the heat.

Radicchio, charred rapini, sauteed Shimeji mushrooms and garlic, radish slices, green onion strips, apparently if you put the strips in ice water they'll go curly... another time.

IMG_E3067.JPG
IMG_E3070.JPG
IMG_E3073.JPG
IMG_E3078.JPG

dave

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Put olive oil and garlic in a pan with half a cup of white wine, boil a few minutes. I removed most of the cloves, then minced a couple and left it in. Add squash, and cook a few more minutes, then add pasta and Parmesan. Not much to look at, but pretty tasty.

00369A11-3B9F-479B-BDFA-EEC08F419DBA.jpeg

IMG_3171.JPG

The missus has gone to Bangkok on a business trip so Sunday night was steak, saute potatoes and mushrooms, and a bottle of Haut-Medoc night. Music was a selection of Rush tunes. Followed by Botanist gin and Zulu on DVD.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I made Chinese braised pork shoulder last night so I decided to use the leftovers for fried rice this evening. Garlic, ginger, carrots, shallot, baby bok choy, spring onions, egg, and of course the chopped braised pork...

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 7.56.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 7.56.09 PM.png

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
This is not a thread to look at when you’re hungry! My goodness you guys are cooking it up!

Time of year to requiring warming from the inside out. Mulligan Stew the recipe for which just called for throwing everything in the pot and cooking away for a few hours. Cubed beef, onions, garlic, potatoes, rutabaga, carrots, water and go... I threw the first three ingredients with fresh thyme and rosemary with water in the pot and cooked for a few hours then added the potatoes, rutabaga, carrots and a blob of frozen tomato paste that was tracked down in the freezer and cooked until the vegetables were cooked with some chew left, then seasoned to taste.

Nice rustic crusty bread with butter to sop up the juice, chef's salad with feta and balsamic vinaigrette, date square and a small piece of Christmas fruitcake to dwell upon, water then a piece of dark chocolate and dense coffee after he dishes.

IMG_E3130.JPG
IMG_E3129.JPG

dave

But your stew.... Utterly amazing.
Yes the basil before baking. Olive oil on top but no real surprises. I also splash parmesan cheese before baking. I think that is traditional.?
In the summer I throw these pizzas over the fire pit using a pizza stone and hibachi grill cover
My oven only gets to 500 (per the dial)..

Top Bottom