What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

Started pouring rain yesterday and hasn't let up.

Yesterday's meal: Moroccan chicken thighs served with cous cous (tumeric, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt, pepper, sweet potatoes, carrot, onion, and cabbage)
1574832529188.png

And today was butternut squash soup with oven roasted pork loin chop and salad with a basil vinaigrette.
1574832619923.png

Not as much browning on the pork chop as I'd like, but I didn't have to dirty a pan for it lol.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Started pouring rain yesterday and hasn't let up.

Yesterday's meal: Moroccan chicken thighs served with cous cous (tumeric, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt, pepper, sweet potatoes, carrot, onion, and cabbage)
View attachment 1038553

And today was butternut squash soup with oven roasted pork loin chop and salad with a basil vinaigrette.
View attachment 1038554

Not as much browning on the pork chop as I'd like, but I didn't have to dirty a pan for it lol.
Butternut squash soup is one of my favorites.

Butternut squash soup is one of my favorites.
  • 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds), halved vertically* and seeds removed
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1/2 cup chopped shallot (about 1 large shallot bulb)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth, as needed
  • 2 tablespoons butter, or to taste

Roast the squash with Olive oil, S&P

In your pot of choice, saute the shallot in olive oil until it's soft and getting a bit of brown, throw the garlic in about halfway, and maybe med heat

Add the roasted squash (I love to use fresh grated) nutmeg and maple syrup, blend in an blender or with immersion blender, while adding stock/broth until desired consistency, season to taste and finish with butter. Serve with a dollop of cream if desired and some (chopped) flat leaf parsley

Butter and cream can be omitted from the recipe to make vegan I suppose.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
  • 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds), halved vertically* and seeds removed
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1/2 cup chopped shallot (about 1 large shallot bulb)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth, as needed
  • 2 tablespoons butter, or to taste

Roast the squash with Olive oil, S&P

In your pot of choice, saute the shallot in olive oil until it's soft and getting a bit of brown, throw the garlic in about halfway, and maybe med heat

Add the roasted squash (I love to use fresh grated) nutmeg and maple syrup, blend in an blender or with immersion blender, while adding stock/broth until desired consistency, season to taste and finish with butter. Serve with a dollop of cream if desired and some (chopped) flat leaf parsley

Butter and cream can be omitted from the recipe to make vegan I suppose.
Sounds pretty good. Thanks for your recipe.

Needed to use up some potatoes before they went bad. Also had a couple turnips. Four potatoes, two turnip, half an onion, a couple garlic cloves and some chicken stock. Blended it with an immersion blender. Very nice on a cold rainy night. My oldest who’s been a picky eater had a bowl. The wife and I were going to have leftovers for dinner tonight. Darn kid finished it off when he came home from school! Glad he’s growing out of his picky eating but I was really looking forward to that soup tonight.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Maiden voyage for my new Staub that I totally didn't need, but totally wanted. :adoration:

IMG_0075.jpeg

Roasted Butternut Squash & Maple Syrup Sausage Soup

IMG_0076.jpeg

Served along side a Chopped Salad that inculded Bacon, Honey Almonds, & a Maple Bourbon Vinaigrette.

IMG_0078.jpeg

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Gorgeous Staub.

Thanks!

I've become more and more fond of the Staubs to the point where I just gifted my 5 1/2-Qt Le Creuset to a friend and picked up this 5 1/2-Qt Staub to replace it.

IMG_0087.jpeg

It will have its maiden voyage when I use it to sear this (prep weight) 4.41 pound Rib Roast that I'm doing a reverse sear on tomorrow.

IMG_0089.jpeg

Last night was the final bit of cookery for the year - stupidly I didn't think to take any pics. Chicken breasts in the sous-vide machine, 90 mins at 65C then ultra hot sear to get the skin crispy. Sauté potatoes, and bok choi, just sweat off some chopped shallot and garlic, in with the green stuff, S&P and let it do its thing for a couple of mins. As I was feeling lazy, gravy from Bisto. I was moved to open a bottle of red...

Top Bottom