What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

Didn't take any photos but last night's offering was simple stir fried chicken with ginger and spring onions. Marinade the chicken strips in a little cornflour, soy sauce, chilli powder, garlic and black pepper. Stir fry, chuck in grated ginger and artistically sliced spring onions and the rest of the marinade for a sauce. Served with cauliflower fried 'rice': blitz the cauliflower in a blitzer, sweat off some diced onion and garlic, a tsp of turmeric for colour, then fry off the cauliflower and add in some chopped cabbage and frozen peas. Make a small well, crack an egg in and stir it through.

Chef's helper: 1x Little Creatures Bright Ale during the chopping bit and a bottle of Rose de Provence during the rest.

Music: none, as I had S Africa v Pakistan 3rd Test on TV

Sounds good, Friday night's always stir fry night under my watch except we were at Art Crawl last night so dined out- beef pho.

Saturday night, more pizza experiments. For the last year have bee playing with the Pizza Camp dough recipe using Italian '00' flour with very good results. Tonight, well yesterday threw caution to the wind and mixed up a dough using organic unbleached hard flour based on the '24-48 hour' dough recipe from The Elements of Pizza, a four ingredient dough. Tasty, chewier then Pizza Camp's, just as easy to put together, next will use the recipe with '00'.

Following Pizza Camp's baking methodology works well with our oven, trying The Elements of Pizza trips the safety shut off. Pizza Camp's we can work around the safety trip.

Pizza #1 - roasted black oyster mushroom with thyme and a good mess of minced garlic, Capriny goat cheese parm, out of the oven and fresh thyme&parsley cast about with an evoo dribble, too simple... excellent! Ideas from Elements of Pizza

Pizza #2 - since the book came out have been doing The Naked Chef's roasted/spiced squash for my wife & daughter (i'll pass), took some chunks of that pureed it and spread it on the dough. Topped with sliced fennel, roasted, burnt & unpeeled variously coloured peppers, buffalo mozz, pancetta, out of the oven micro greens and fennel fronds added, evoo drizzle. Based on a recipe in Cooking in Color, a Canadian book using an American spelling in it's title, what gives? Gorgeous book, so far - solid recipes. Was very good as well, smooth, lots going on.

Excess pizza toppings throw 'em a bowl and call it a salad after a drizzle of balsamic glaze & evoo.

Beverage du jour - Beau's Brewing Company, Channel Ocho, Mexican Spiced Dark Ale

Dessert - still savouring that mid-winter fruitcake.

Music - to prep - Television's 1992 album.
''''''''''''- to dine - 'sonic truth' - 15 tracks from the edges of sound, an Uncut compilation my wife regrets purchasing, '''''''''''''''it'll get your attention.

Destroyed another pepper grinder...

Black oyster herd sacrificed to the evening's experiments.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''
file5-1_B&Bsize600.jpg

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
file8_B&Bsize600.jpg
file7.jpeg
file-20.jpeg
file2-6.jpeg
file1-11.jpeg
file-19.jpeg

dave

Last edited:
Thanks - maxed out twenty-nine year old electric range with a pizza steel, we know each other well... they don't make them like they used to. Broil to finish.
dave

Thanks - maxed out twenty-nine year old electric range with a pizza steel, we know each other well... they don't make them like they used to. Broil to finish.
dave
Do you ever make a Neapolitan pizza? The pizza stone is underneath. I melted the handle and replaced with a wooden handle, lol
received_10204043477684577.jpeg
received_10204043477644576.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Quiche with a couple cheats. The wife keeps prepackaged diced ham around for her eggs, so some of that went in. The stepdaughter has some Orida potatoes O Brian, which is diced potatoes, green peppers, and onions- I did fry it in the grease that was left over from the bacon I cooked to put in the quiche. The crust, of course, was also a cheat. To six Eggland’s cage free eggs I added green onion, half and half, a dash of Worsteschire, and salt and pepper. On top I put cheddar cheese, and Frank’s Red Hot on top of mine. It was a satisfying meal. My wife actually had two pieces, so I did okay.

3DA72D97-C790-473F-A7C4-EB484D8F35BC.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I didn't realize quiche was divisive...how bout fritatas?
About 30 years ago some men were outspoken in their opposition to quiche. I haven’t heard much of it lately. With cooking shows being what they are, I think some people are expanding their eating habits.

Blackened Cajun Jerk style chicken with broccoli and brown basmati rice with lentils. Make and freeze food for our son who is off at University about 1 hour away. He lives off campus and prefers making his own meals. He cooked the chicken in a iron skillet in the oven and flipped midway to brown both sides. One son likes to cook while other would rather just eat.
53D22BB4-CF7F-4485-8B85-236C53C2C3EF.jpeg

About 30 years ago some men were outspoken in their opposition to quiche. I haven’t heard much of it lately. With cooking shows being what they are, I think some people are expanding their eating habits.

Does this mean I can stop eating quiche in private? Looks fantastic OC! And so does that jerk chicken..

People have been busy, looking good!

Tonight's experiment was Pork Ramen. Loin roast brined in apple cider then grilled (using some of the leftovers). Pork stock made to Michael Ruhlman's 'Egg" cookbook, knocked a day off the recipe by making the stock in our out of retirement stove top pressure cooker, this may become a habit, gotta try chicken stock in the cooker a la Martha Stewart.

First time making a pork stock, good but, we all agreed that beef or chicken would be the prefered option.

Roughly 6½ min soft boiled eggs, 13 gauge 'E' string strung up to 'E♭' in my fret saw for a 'clean' slicer, have a better idea for an elevated base for slicing the next batch.

Dessert - my wife made an apple pie today so a warm slice of that with a scoop of Greek yogurt.

Eau de tap

Music - Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley, Robert Palmer with a stellar back-up band.

IMG_E2896.JPG
IMG_E2898.JPG
IMG_E2899.JPG
IMG_E2901.JPG
IMG_E2905.JPG

dave

Good Lord. The taughtness of the slicer strings Dave?!!! There must be NO detail neglected!
This is just fantastic. :a14:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Does this mean I can stop eating quiche in private? Looks fantastic OC! And so does that jerk chicken..
For sure- ain’t nothing wrong with a good quiche.
People have been busy, looking good!

Tonight's experiment was Pork Ramen. Loin roast brined in apple cider then grilled (using some of the leftovers). Pork stock made to Michael Ruhlman's 'Egg" cookbook, knocked a day off the recipe by making the stock in our out of retirement stove top pressure cooker, this may become a habit, gotta try chicken stock in the cooker a la Martha Stewart.

First time making a pork stock, good but, we all agreed that beef or chicken would be the prefered option.

Roughly 6½ min soft boiled eggs, 13 gauge 'E' string strung up to 'E♭' in my fret saw for a 'clean' slicer, have a better idea for an elevated base for slicing the next batch.

Dessert - my wife made an apple pie today so a warm slice of that with a scoop of Greek yogurt.

Eau de tap

Music - Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley, Robert Palmer with a stellar back-up band.

View attachment 943431 View attachment 943432 View attachment 943433 View attachment 943435 View attachment 943436
dave
Good googly moogly. Right on, Dave.

Top Bottom