What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

Taco reboot... learn from your mis-steps.

file-20.jpeg
file5-9.jpeg

dave

That looks great BT!

Details? How did you go about searing it, cook time and temperature, the cut?

Very, very nice!
dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
@davent

The cut is what was sold as a sirloin steak but it was more like a little roast, about 2 1/2" thick. It was on sale and I wanted my first try to be with something relatively inexpensive in case things went horribly wrong. As it turned out my concern was unwarranted.

I added a couple sprigs of rosemary and a crushed garlic clove to the bag (I just used a ziploc that sealed up nice and tight to the steak) set the temp for 127° and the time for 2.5 hours. After the sous vide I dried the surface really well then seared on a screamin' hot cast iron skillet, I could have gone a bit longer on each side to get more of the cooked 'ring' around the edges. I let it rest for about 10min before carving.

All in all it came out really good and for a cheap cut of meat it was really tender. The rosemary and garlic flavors were present in the finished product. The center was a little rarer than the rest of the cut so probably needed a little longer in the jacuzzi. And I'll try 129° next time. It was a just a bit to rare for my wife.

BTW, the side was "Brussel Sprout Melt" inspired by a recent post from @oc_in_fw. Mine didn't look like his (his looked much nicer), it was too crispy and not really that 'melty". Good though and I plan on keeping at it to get it right.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed account BT. My wife is the very same with regards to the internal red, she'll take and cook hers a bit more to a less vibrant shade of red. My daughter opts for vibrant.

And thanks for the kind words Owen & BT, there's enough meh, blah, mis-steps, fail in my kitchen to go around, what's the cliché, if you're not failing, you're not trying, you're not trying hard enough, you're not pushing it, you're just not... I drive wife and daughter crazy.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks for the detailed account BT. My wife is the very same with regards to the internal red, she'll take and cook hers a bit more to a less vibrant shade of red. My daughter opts for vibrant.

And thanks for the kind words Owen & BT, there's enough meh, blah, mis-steps, fail in my kitchen to go around, what's the cliché, if you're not failing, you're not trying, you're not trying hard enough, you're not pushing it, you're just not... I drive wife and daughter crazy.
dave
Well, at last we have something in common- I, too, drive my wife crazy. :)

Pizza play, grilled, the possibilities are endless. Mushroom alert...

Ran out of hard bread flour so ended up with 2 parts of the hard and 1 part soft/pastry which worked fine. This dough is a well kneaded one as opposed the our oven dough which is optimally made with soft "00" flour mixed with the other bits only enough to incorporate them, 4-5 bits per dough, flour/water/yeast/salt for grilling dough. Rolled rather then hand shaped. ~24 hour rise in the fridge

#1. Marinara with sliced garlic, dried oregano, pecorino & anchovies.

#2. Same tomato sauce, canned August 18, 2018, grated fontina, fresh mozzarella, pecorino, cacciatora slices, pepperoncinis, sauteed creminis, fresh oregano, garden's exploding.

Beverages - Finally hot here so prep requires cooling... Sanpellegrino Pompelo (grapefruit) over ice, fortified with Georgian Bay gin, smooth...
Beverages - The usual almost-works-with-everything-inexpensive-house-red

Dessert - Magnum Triple Chocolate ice cream bar

Music - Jethro Tull, Aqualung, the reason for learning to play flute and join the high school band
Music - Tom Waits, Raindogs, permission to sing even if you can't
Music - Hot Tuna, Live at Sweetwater Two, cool set with guests

IMG_E5320.JPG
IMG_E5316.JPG
KCHHE4039.JPG
IMG_E5322.JPG
IMG_E5327.JPG
IMG_E5325.JPG
IMG_E5330.JPG

dave

Holiday monday here so another chance to experiment, mess about, nothing quite says Canada Day like grilled Tandoori, wild caught, Gulf of Mexico(?) shrimp.

Tandoori marinate recipe from Steven Raichlen, the sauce was an ad lib based on unused tomato sauce for Saturday's pizzas & a small can of coconut milk, fried up the shrimp shells, onions, ginger, chilis, a bunch of spices... Tilda white basmati rice cooked à la the pasta method. Grilled the shrimp without a grate to try something different.

file4-13.jpeg
file2-15.jpeg
file1-17.jpeg
file-23.jpeg

dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thanks Aaron! Looking good as always Dave!

My riff on Thai curry...

I used Mae Ploy curry paste and jazzed it up a bit with some lemongrass, garlic, and ginger. Main veggies included baby ****akes (<<edit: Really?!), bok choy, green onions, and shallots. Protien was some nice wild caught U15's from the Gulf.

fullsizeoutput_270.jpeg

Finished with some lime, cilantro, and basil...

fullsizeoutput_271.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks BT, your curry looks terrific!

Nice piece of meat, going sous vide?

Double 'i' in the mushrooms.

Hack that works for words with sensitive lettering on another sensitive forum i'm on a lot doesn't work here, there are other ways...
dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thanks BT, your curry looks terrific!

Nice piece of meat, going sous vide?

Double 'i' in the mushrooms.

Hack that works for words with sensitive lettering on another sensitive forum i'm on a lot doesn't work here, there are other ways...
dave

Thanks Dave. Yup, sous vide for the ribeye. I did some sous vide pork chops earlier this week and they came out really good. I'm liking it a lot so far.

Top Bottom