What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

Not nearly as talented as many of the others here but tonight was a bit of an experiment. SWMBO and son had a baked potato (I pass). I grilled some steak that looked "awesome" (rather than the cow in freezer) and some cauliflower.

I have no idea how the spuds turned out as I don't wan the carbs. For the steaks I am trying to move from time/cut with a knife and look to using a thermapen... SWMBO found a way to "bbq" (aka grill) a head of cauliflower. My personal opinion is it was a bit overcooked but toss on some butter, salt and pepper and life is pretty good.

No music was on while cooking and it seems that there is a signal to the universe that ... now would be a good time to call so I had several calls from various relatives during the cook.

Once the dishes go to the kitchen the household will retire to tv room and watch good omens.

Sorry for the lack of photos... apparently it was good enough that it evaporated too fast to actually take a picture. I will try harder on the photography next time.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What did you season the cauliflower with?

The cauliflower was cooked in the microwave until it was totally cooked down and completely soft and mushy. Season with salt, pepper, butter, heavy whipping cream, aged cheddar, parmesan, chives and lots of diced garlic. Beat it all together with a hand mixer.

Nice one Aaron. How's the price of cauliflower down your way, still seems out of line up here.
dave

I buy it really cheap and in organic. $3.46 per head.

Taco night... Saturday wanderings...

Skirt steak marinated for a few hours in beer, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt & chili pepper. Smoked some with mesquite then finished direct grilling. Simple slaw, Irish cheddar, radishes, fresh salsa, Greek yogurt, cilantro, avocado and smoked jalapeno hot sauce from a new kid on the block.

Opened up sometime last year in a gentrifying war zone, lot of their own jarred products. Wagyu steaks from Australia for close to $70 cdn each, wonderfully marbled cowboy steaks big enough for a Texas cowboy, tomahawk steaks, all stuff i've never seen in these parts before. Will the store make it, next door to a biker cafe/clothing store that just be the catalyst of the regeneration... fingers crossed. Were quite busy the night we visited.

Wandering a friend's neighbourhood this afternoon came upon another small grocer, organic vegetables, tonight's avocado, a beauty, came from them.

Beverage - GeorgianBayGin/FeverTreeTonic on ice, this just may be even better then Canada Dry on ice

Music - Courtney Barnett, The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas
Music - The 100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950's, cd #6

View attachment 993071 View attachment 993072 View attachment 993073

...tomato trellis shadow, not burnt...
View attachment 993074 View attachment 993075 View attachment 993076 View attachment 993077 View attachment 993078 View attachment 993079
dave

Spooky, I did similar here last night!

Grilled Asian Chicken Noodle Soup...

... do, do, de, do...

file2-12.jpeg
file-17.jpeg
file-19.jpeg

dave

Last night's dinner was coq au vin jaune: they make a yellow wine in the Jura region of Eastern France, it's a bit like sherry but it's not a fortified wine. It is ruinously expensive in Singapore and even here it's about EUR15 a bottle cheapest, but it has a rich nutty flavour, and works well in cooking - you can also drink it with cheese, particularly Comte. Pictures to follow as I took them with a real camera and I need to download them when I get home...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nice. Thats what i like. Any chance that came from the Keto cookbook?
Well, wife added to the omega rich recipe by adding a little sugar free apricot. Probably not the best thing to add, but it was tasty. I limited myself to one portion of fish. The Brussels sprouts have bacon, gruyere, white cheddar, and heavy cream. I somehow managed not to go back for more (really wanted to).

I avoid cooking with more, leftovers in mind, for me better to not have enough then too much in the pot, nothing for seconds and nothing for the fridge, small portions to start. If i'm really truly still hungry i can always have something else.
dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I avoid cooking with more, leftovers in mind, for me better to not have enough then too much in the pot, nothing for seconds and nothing for the fridge, small portions to start. If i'm really truly still hungry i can always have something else.
dave
I'm just the opposite, but it depends on what the food is. I like to make extra stirfry and chili. Great for next day lunch. Sometimes the flavors need to talk to each other overnight. Soups and spaghetti could also fall into overnight leftovers. Cold fried chicken is my wifes favorite from the prior night.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'm just the opposite, but it depends on what the food is. I like to make extra stirfry and chili. Great for next day lunch. Sometimes the flavors need to talk to each other overnight. Soups and spaghetti could also fall into overnight leftovers. Cold fried chicken is my wifes favorite from the prior night.

I'm with ya, some things are just better the next day.

I'll make osso buco, stuff that benefits from a sit, ahead of time, the day before. I find eating a same meal again without major major time between, big letdown on the rebound. Even on the first time through the magic is in the first few tastes, the surprise, the meeting or not of expectations happens then, then it's, ok, what do we want to try next.

We've spent over three decades rolling through new untried or different takes on things we made before, once offs all the time, bookshelves full of cookbooks chalk full of recipes we haven't tried yet...

My fault, music is maybe the only thing i can go back to again and again but even that i need new exposures all the time.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'll make osso buco, stuff that benefits from a sit, ahead of time, the day before. I find eating a same meal again without major major time between, big letdown on the rebound. Even on the first time through the magic is in the first few tastes, the surprise, the meeting or not of expectations happens then, then it's, ok, what do we want to try next.

We've spent over three decades rolling through new untried or different takes on things we made before, once offs all the time, bookshelves full of cookbooks chalk full of recipes we haven't tried yet...

My fault, music is maybe the only thing i can go back to again and again but even that i need new exposures all the time.
dave
We’ve all got our thing. I can’t wear used clothes.

While I do the leftover thing sometimes. One of the things we try to do is see how far I can extend a meal... So I would bbq a whole chicken, next day shred and make sloppy joe, next day add spices and make taco salad, next day add some veg and broth and do soup, next day add more veg and thicken it up to turn it into a stew.

It is kind of fun to use yesterdays dinner as a starter for the next. Getting 5-6 days in a row is hard to make work because you need to start off with a large quantity as well as it can be a bit difficult to keep the chain going. A common one for chicken is day 1 roast it, after dinner I take all meat off the bones. Day 2 is boiled bones for chicken stock add "stuff" and it is soup. Day 3 I shred the chicken and add spicing to turn it into taco salad, or enchilada or sloppy joe or... Day 2 and 3 can trade places.

Because I have chickens/ducks it is not uncommon to take some protein and a bunch of veggies and 1-2 dozen eggs and make my version of a frittata (I brown the bottom a bit and serve it in pie like slices).

I just wish I was accomplished enough to be able to cook, plate and then take great pictures like some of the frequent posters in this thread.

Ruckin.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
While I do the leftover thing sometimes. One of the things we try to do is see how far I can extend a meal... So I would bbq a whole chicken, next day shred and make sloppy joe, next day add spices and make taco salad, next day add some veg and broth and do soup, next day add more veg and thicken it up to turn it into a stew.

It is kind of fun to use yesterdays dinner as a starter for the next. Getting 5-6 days in a row is hard to make work because you need to start off with a large quantity as well as it can be a bit difficult to keep the chain going. A common one for chicken is day 1 roast it, after dinner I take all meat off the bones. Day 2 is boiled bones for chicken stock add "stuff" and it is soup. Day 3 I shred the chicken and add spicing to turn it into taco salad, or enchilada or sloppy joe or... Day 2 and 3 can trade places.

Because I have chickens/ducks it is not uncommon to take some protein and a bunch of veggies and 1-2 dozen eggs and make my version of a frittata (I brown the bottom a bit and serve it in pie like slices).

I just wish I was accomplished enough to be able to cook, plate and then take great pictures like some of the frequent posters in this thread.

Ruckin.
@ruckin

Sounds amazing.

We don't really care about how it looks just though it looks.

I can’t decide if I want to sous vid, grill, or smoke some goat shanks. A lady from an area farm gave my wife a couple in turn for her giving the weekends market waste and scraps for their goats. I have one done in a ground mustard and sage rub and vac sealed to marinate a while. I put some carrots with orange zest, maple syrup, and ginger in a bag, and made dill new potatoes in another, ready to sous vid, whether I grill the meat or not.

Ruckin.

Sounds cool, i wouldn't look upon that as eating leftovers. It's a new meal reimagining an ingredient, a creative challenge.

I like to save a piece of a weekend cooked protein then slice and use in vegetable stir fries, the addition takes something that's already really good and elevates it to another level.

Chicken carcasses/bones go into the freezer for future stock, there's a bag of shrimp shells and bits to used for stock. Nothing in the freezer approaching a finished dish/meal but odds & ends that might help in making one.
dave

Top Bottom