What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

Regarding the beef liver: yes it can be a bit overpowering, don't plan on eating a big plate of it especially if you're not accustomed to it. I cook it fairly often (at least once a month) since my family loves it. A few tips if you want to try it again:
1. I've found that soaking in milk does nothing. Don't waste your time with it.
2. Slice thinly. Not thicker than 1/2 inch.
3. Treat it like skirt steak, cooking-wise. Hot cast iron pan with a bit of butter, sear each side quickly, you want the inside to stay medium-rare or medium at most. Overcooking leads to an unpleasant texture.

5DCAF6CB-15A2-4CA4-B07D-FED3D7801100.jpeg
Gateau St. Honore

I can't claim any credit for these, dinner out last night with the missus: New Zealand Te Mana lamb rack and a dark chocolate tart at our favourite restaurant here, Bar-A-Thym:
Enmx0tpkRw+NJ9ZZZ78KwQ.jpg PSXXRCxsSoCYRw9903ymrw.jpg

The lamb is farmed organically in the high country of South Island, NZ (Our Farms - TE MANA) and it is sensationally good.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I picked some Poblano and Anaheim peppers last week. Today being the first day of winter here and mother nature giving us a taste of things to come, its Chilli time.
No habaneros as they were made into hot sauce already. I did add some dried scotch bonnets to give it a bit of a heat lift. There's plenty of left overs for Ron.

20190526_134952.jpg

Charred, peeled and blended.

20190601_161348.jpg

Made with 1kg / 2.2lbs of diced chuck steak and ground chuck.

20190601_190650.jpg

Haven't had a pizza night in June yet so it was time.

No sooner had lit the chimney to ready things for grilling the chicken thighs and it started to rain... did mange to get the thighs grilled but as for grilling the pizzas on the gas grill, no chance, production moved inside and after a long delay to heat the oven got rolling.

Grill dough was a bit different in ratios from our usual and actually involved kneading so chewier in the eating. Two 260g balls of dough, 12 -13" pizza.

Pizza #1 - Fungi/fromage, called for chanterelles but good luck on finding those, used an oysters/shiitake mix sauteed with garlic and fresh thyme. Small log of chevre, grated pecorino, finished with chili salt, black pepper and sprinkle of fresh thyme.

Pizza #2 - Dough baked with grated cows mozzarella, then topped with a pound of grilled chicken thigh mixed with bbq sauce, cucumber/carrot/redonion/ricevinegar/sugar salad, corn kernels. Neither of us thought of it as pizza, more banh mi, really tasty food worth a revisit, used the chili salt on this one too.

Red rinse and swallow...

Music - June cd's from Mojo and Uncut, Uncut is a comp of 60's Motor City Soul, Mojo is a comp curated by "The Music - National"
Music - 5440 - Dear Dear, a tried & true long time favourite

file1-3.jpeg
file2-2.jpeg
file3-2.jpeg
file4-2.jpeg
file6-1.jpeg
file5-2.jpeg

dave

I let Elia loose in my kitchen last night: Indonesian "daging balado" which I have posted here before but not in 2019 if I recall correctly.

Daging being beef, and balado is the chilli sauce, so you could make anything balado - I have had it with hard boiled eggs and it was pretty good. Basically, fry slices of beef and set aside,: you want them a little browned but not overly crispy, although there is a version that calls for thinner strips of meat, done to a crisp then into the sauce. This version the sauce needs to be quite thick and sticky: grind shallots, garlic, chillies (as little or as many as you feel appropriate), chopped tomatoes, seasoning. Some versions use a little lime juice, but Elia likes a dash of tamarind paste, just a little sourness works well.ZZZD5L0DSiOZ+qjZMh+9Mg.jpg

Fry off the paste until 'fragrant' as the cookbooks say, then add the meat and stir through. Serve with steamed rice, of course, and any veg that you fancy.

Strategically, stash a loo roll in the fridge overnight.

Indonesian food isn't generally as photogenic as say Thai and it's rare to find a good Indonesian restaurant, as it's mainly home-cooking, but done well, I think it knocks spots off the rest of SE Asia cuisines.

No music, Sri Lanka v NZ Cricket World Cup, while slurping Spanish Rioja rose. Top evening, then Sarries edging out Exeter in the rugby.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I picked some Poblano and Anaheim peppers last week. Today being the first day of winter here and mother nature giving us a taste of things to come, its Chilli time.
No habaneros as they were made into hot sauce already. I did add some dried scotch bonnets to give it a bit of a heat lift. There's plenty of left overs for Ron.

View attachment 986220

Charred, peeled and blended.

View attachment 986222

Made with 1kg / 2.2lbs of diced chuck steak and ground chuck.

View attachment 986223

Oh no you didn't!!!
Oh yes he did and it looks marvelous.

Kimchi soba noodles, 6.5 minute egg and Fresh BC spotted shrimp, grilled. Weather was treat today after yesterdays washout.

Garden grown rhubarb in a homemade pie topped with Greek yogurt for dessert.

Music - Black Keys, Brothers

file4.jpeg
file3.jpeg
file.jpeg
file1.jpeg

dave

Top Bottom