Whats cooking in 2019?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chicken with Verde sauce tamales
20190503_181349.jpg
20190503_181403.jpg

Looks nice Aaron!

Saturday night adventure...

Yesterday's Coffee Crème Caramel attempt came out of the pan fine, flipped it over on the plate and you could hear it release from the pan, unfortunately the plate with a big enough 'flat' to fi the flan had no rims and it is a very syrupy flan so overflow... rescued.

Been a few years since we've made lasagna a dish my daughter just about always requests when asked for suggestions but i was so sick of lasagna i'd balk. We've pretty much always made vegetarian versions, the Bourdain book i've home from the library has a Bolognese Lasagna recipe that looked intriguing so why not give it a whirl.

Been decades since i'd eaten liver, remember making bacon wrapped chicken livers in the 80's, never forget the taste/texture, this recipe called for chicken livers along with ground beef/veal/pork. I had some frozen mix of veal/beef and frozen veal eye of round i diced up so only had to pick up the livers, ground pork and a bit more beef.

Jar of our tomato sauce, celery is currently $5-$6 per so skipped that, onions, garlic, diced carrots, cup of vermouth and 1.6cups milk and hours of cooking for the Bolognese.

Four cups bechamel, parm, bocconcini, five layers of pasta, one box.

The cure for my liver curiosity, scratched the itch for another few decades, my memory was crystal clear.

Dessert - Coffee Crème Caramel, recipe from March Bon Appetit - first time attempting a single pan version, was a non-issue to remove from pan. Flavoured with coarsely crushed dark roast coffee, lemon peel & juice, vanilla bean. Good but not as good as our usual version made with maple syrup rather then plain white sugar.

Beverage - Pelee Island Baco Noir, just keep buying.

Music - hours of cooking...
Music - Big Country, Muleskinner Blues
Music - Monster Magnet, Powertrip
Music - Deep Purple, Machine Head
Music - Primus, Singles
Music - Holy Roller, Uncut's April compilation cd
Music - Memory Motel, MOJO's April compilation curated by Keith Richards

Chopped liver, ooooh yeah...
IMG_E4602.JPG
IMG_E4604.JPG
IMG_E4611.JPG
IMG_E4613.JPG
IMG_E4627.JPG
IMG_E4623.JPG
IMG_E4625.JPG
IMG_E4628.JPG
IMG_E4650.JPG
IMG_E4633.JPG

dave

Took a couple trips but was able to get cross cut short ribs this week.

Marinated 48 hours in chimichurri - simple paste of cilantro, fresh chili, onion, garlic and salt. Direct grilled for five minutes over hickory then smoked indirectly for another ten or so.

Broccoli/mushroom stir fry with soy/sambalolek/cornstarch sauce.
Duck fried yellow flesh potatoes with smoked paprika and thirty second Dutch mayo.
Kimchi from a jar...

Dessert... lots of coffee flan to still enjoy.

Music - Billie Holiday, Lady in Autumn

file1-57.jpeg
file2-49.jpeg
file1-58.jpeg
file-68.jpeg

file-70.jpeg

dave

Made some date nut bread to go with lattes from my new breville oracle. Waiting for them to cool a bit
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Curry night: rogan josh which I let slow simmer for about 4 hours, chicken Chettinad and a dal tarka. Poppadoms and roti prata, with a cucumber and tomato raita and a salad of cucumber and tomato to cut through it. A rare (as in I don't drink beer very often these days)
uqzu+3EYQRaTfp975RWqYw.jpg
fCEm88lZQiGY6yQKwm5LNQ.jpg
ox59pOz7QEaGSIihTTxntw.jpg
xW0UnQXATK+SWTXYtglq2A.jpg
beer to go with it, but a bottle of NZ Pinot Noir rose during the prep, and iTunes doing its random thing with music.

Feels like Saturday.
Marinated chicken halves in lemon juice, grainy mustard, honey & salt for two days. Smoked tonight with apple and cherry wood. Oven roasted local, root vegetables, yellow flesh potatoes, carrots, parsnips & rutabagas, duck fat, fresh rosemary, backyard garlic, salt & pepper.

Dessert - last of the freezer rhubarb from last year, this year's a week away, blackberries we froze last year, still more in there... pie topped with Balkan style yogurt 11% fat...

Music - Rammstein, Flugrekorder Nicht Öffnen
Music - Radiohead, The Bends
Music - PJ Harvey, Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

file4-36.jpeg
file3-43.jpeg
file5-30.jpeg
file-75.jpeg
file1-59.jpeg
file-71.jpeg

ciao

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Looks great guys!

Panko fried cod, oven russet fries, and mushy peas with shallot and mint (a la Gordon Ramsey)...

fullsizeoutput_244.jpeg

Great looking dishes guys!

Per request tempeh fajitas tonight, comes around once a year or so.

Corn tortillas broiled with jalapeno/monterey jack cheese, thye get topped with sauteed mixed peppers and onion, broiled marinated tempeh, Balkan super rich yogurt, guacamole, salsa fresca or whatever you'd like to call chopped up fresh stuff, feta cheese & chili salt, a mix of Maldon's, chili flakes and smoked paprika.

Music - Ry Cooder, The Ry Cooder Anthology, The UFO has landed...

First and seconds...
file3-45.jpeg
file1-61.jpeg
file-76.jpeg

dave

So the missus has left for a business trip to Jakarta (I am off to Hong Kong tomorrow, but that's by the by) so I am home alone...
Buq5hXNzQtiUJajVY01e9w.jpg
NpM2+yPOSUSrR5gDkPKSAg.jpg

Aussie 340g grade fed Angus ribeye, green stuff, mushrooms and a S African Cab Sav. I used my MEATER+ and the steak was just about spot on. The Cab Sav is hitting the spot, with a spot of 2112 annoying the neighbours.

Good looking green stuff, the rest looks real good too.

2112, remember it like it was yesterday, back in the day auditioned it for a friend who couldn't stand Rush, told him it was another band, he was impressed.

More off topic, here's maybe a little known to the outside world Rush performance/recording... In the late 70's early 80's there was another very good local band that did lots of shows/tours opening up for Rush. On Max Webster's last album Rush co-wrote and performed alongside them on a song, suppose to have been recorded live off the floor, made lots of people very happy.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

2112, remember it like it was yesterday, back in the day auditioned it for a friend who couldn't stand Rush, told him it was another band, he was impressed.

More off topic, here's maybe a little known to the outside world Rush performance/recording... In the late 70's early 80's there was another very good local band that did lots of shows/tours opening up for Rush. On Max Webster's last album Rush co-wrote and performed alongside them on a song, suppose to have been recorded live off the floor, made lots of people very happy.

How could he not know it was Rush? Geddy Lee has the most annoying voice in rock.

Being a Rush nerd, I had seen that many moons ago, thanks for the reminder!

Top Bottom