What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

Thanks Owen & BT, was a cold, rainy, windy miserable day to be outside, perfect one for soup.
Daughter labeled it as huevo rancheros soup which it covered flavourwise quite well, was suppose to be served with tortillas but i like buttered bread to sop up a nice soup.
dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Surf and turf...

Filet mignon medallion, sea scallops, chimichurri, with steamed broccoli

fullsizeoutput_237.jpeg

Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Italian Sausage and Sage Brown Butter Sauce...

Attachments

• AD8AB2DA-681C-4D3F-BD64-D546EE5D7093.jpeg
    AD8AB2DA-681C-4D3F-BD64-D546EE5D7093.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
Saturday nights, made for trying some new twists.

Pizza night.

Common to both, 280g dough, 100g simple tomato sauce from last summer's garden, straight from the jar - salt & pepper to taste, bocconcini.

#1. Skillet pizza - 11" carbon steel pan, sauce dusted with dried oregano, drizzled with evoo, baked for ~10 minutes in an oven that by that point had been on max fo 90 minutes. Pulled from oven topped with 50g of the cheese, sprinkled with chili flakes, under the broiler for 2 -3 minutes, pulled and anchovies scattered. Might be my daughters favourite pizza, was her request.

#2. Fennel sausage & onion. Half & half ground veal/beef spiced with coarsely ground fennel & anise, chili flakes, salt & pepper, maple syrup. Stretched/shaped dough set on a peel, topped the dough with 100g sauce, well sauteed onion, sliced pepperoncini, chunks of the raw meat mix - maybe 100g, before baking looked well covered but after baking and the meat shrinking should have squeezed more of it on.

From peel into the maxed out oven onto the left hand side of the pizza steel for 2min. Grab the pizza with tongs, turned 180° and slide to right hand side of steel baking until the top is starting to brown. Pull from oven, top with 100g cheese and back into oven under the broiler until nicely browned and cheese melted. Pulled and dressed with fresh basil and very quick drizzles with evoo & balsamic glaze. This is a good one!

Dessert - N. Spy apple pie dressed with Greek yogurt.

Beverage, the same-old same-old works with everything red.

The important stuff... dough was put together last night while serenaded by the dulcet ballads of Kyuss, and the circus leaves town.

Tonight...
Music - Cake, Showroom of Compassion
Music - Cake, Cakes Fashion Nugget
Music - The Decemberists present "Picaresque"

Dinner on Saturdays is usually a couple of hours later than our norm so a bite is helpful to tide us over 'til the main event.
file-62.jpeg

file1-52.jpeg
file4-32.jpeg
file2-45.jpeg
file4-33.jpeg
file1-53.jpeg
file3-39.jpeg
file2-46.jpeg
file3-40.jpeg

dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thanks @davent

I haven't had any bread products in almost two weeks and your pizza pics have me at the breaking point. Looks great!

Last edited:
Thank you BT!

Pizza never gets a pass here, hang in there, people have said good things about the cauliflower substitute crust, i haven't any experience. Way way back, like way way back when first married we did make a pizza sorta dish with polenta as the base.
dave

FkDock8IR7aQdRZjkES27g.jpg ZLQl+DkEQaCPoNrMAbtXyA.jpg
Looking good there Dave, still waiting for my invitation!

Chicken thighs in a white wine and tarragon sauce, dash of thickened cream at the end, and cauliflower cheese. My pan is quite new and not broken in so all the skin stuck to the bottom of the pan which was annoying.

Wine was a South African Chenin Blanc from Swartland, Western Cape, not one I had tried before but $7 discount and the label (it's called "Survivor", with a picture of a big African cow on it!) tempted me. It was not bad at all and I may have to get some more while the discount is running!

Music, a Sixties mix from iTunes. I have become my parents.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
View attachment 976162 View attachment 976164
Looking good there Dave, still waiting for my invitation!

Chicken thighs in a white wine and tarragon sauce, dash of thickened cream at the end, and cauliflower cheese. My pan is quite new and not broken in so all the skin stuck to the bottom of the pan which was annoying.

Wine was a South African Chenin Blanc from Swartland, Western Cape, not one I had tried before but $7 discount and the label (it's called "Survivor", with a picture of a big African cow on it!) tempted me. It was not bad at all and I may have to get some more while the discount is running!

Music, a Sixties mix from iTunes. I have become my parents.

Wine and tarragon makes such a nice compliment for chicken. Very nice.

Nicely done guys!

Still working the kinks out of the pizza process, looking for the perfect combo...

Today's doom and gloom weather forecast was wrong, beautiful day instead, shorts weather, first lawn cutting of the year, perennial bed cleanup walk in the park, smoked pork tenderloin.

Tenderloin coated in a rub of ancho pepper powder, fennel, salt/pepper, evoo, five hours then indirectly cooked on the covered Kettle with hickory chips, a couple star anise and cinnamon stick on the coals, 30min to 135F. Bok choy grilled on the gas grill down pretty much on top of the burner, flame licked, seasoned with lemon juice, evoo, salt/pepper, parmesan. Duck fat cooked yellow potatoes with smoked paprika and parsley, my wife's doing, killer version, as good as a potato can be.

file-64.jpeg
file1-54.jpeg
file2-47.jpeg
file4-34.jpeg
file6-23.jpeg
file3-41.jpeg

dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Looks great guys. I love a good split pea soup. ham hock is critical

Tonight is Chimichurri chicken thighs with mixed greens, tomato & cucumber salad.

fullsizeoutput_23f.jpeg

Nice one BT, looks really tasty.

Was suppose to do chimichurri cross cut short ribs on the weekend but my butcher sold out of ribs, try again for this weekend.
dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Nice one BT, looks really tasty.

Was suppose to do chimichurri cross cut short ribs on the weekend but my butcher sold out of ribs, try again for this weekend.
dave

Thanks Dave.

Thats funny, I found some cross cut short ribs this afternoon at the market, 50% off. They're on deck for tomorrow.

Trying out a new flan recipe, never tried making a flan as a single unit, only as individual servings, potential disaster in the waiting, in the fridge cooling for Saturday's dinner.

Step #1... sugar prepped.
file-67.jpeg
dave

Top Bottom