What's new

What's Cooking 2018?

Satisfied some sweet tooth cravings in the house. Made bagels, pumpkin bread, pear/walnut/pine nut preserves, and a chocolate pecan tart.

091B9B70-805A-4D4C-B2BE-7CE10004F5EF.jpeg
11B0158B-D07D-4455-8607-AC8ECACF0B4A.jpeg
C8A5D385-E6E8-40C6-8296-80508694F484.jpeg
75769EB6-7333-43F5-B202-2FDEA4ED4E6B.jpeg
75769EB6-7333-43F5-B202-2FDEA4ED4E6B.jpeg

Last day till the GF comes back and I'm working from home today so something a bit decadent for a late lunch/early dinner. Eggs benny on homemade waffles w/thick cut bacon.

proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Last day till the GF comes back and I'm working from home today so something a bit decadent for a late lunch/early dinner. Eggs benny on homemade waffles w/thick cut bacon.

proxy.php

Fantastic! I love a good Benedict!

It was a cold, windy, gray day. Perfect for some chicken & dumplings (and a bit of cornbread on the side).

20181113_200406.jpg

Supper tonight was beef stew; it was made in stages, with the beef rolled in seasoned flour and browned off Sunday - the stew assembled last night and then baked today for 4.5 hours @ 300F. It was a touch loose coming out of the oven, but bringing it to boil on the cooktop caused the starches to tighten up and it was properly thickened within minutes.

After supper; I finished off the beef barley soup that I also started on Sunday. The fat cap lifted right off the gelatin bone broth, which was derived from 4 lbs of oxtails cooked in the InstantPot for 60 minutes. As dark as the sear on the meat was, the gelatined broth is still a bit pale (very beefy tasting). It is all done now (leeks, onions, celery w/leaves, carrots and 1.5 cups pearled barley) and it is cooling before the tupperware.

I'm not going to futz with it further, the seasoning is correct and any cosmetic additions (deeply browned crimini, soy, worcester or fish sauce) is going to throw of the balance. At time of service, some fresh parsley and maybe some petite frozen peas will be added for some color balance

Fantastic! I love a good Benedict!

It was a cold, windy, gray day. Perfect for some chicken & dumplings (and a bit of cornbread on the side).

View attachment 927870
I think mother sauces should be their own food group.
Your chicken & dumplings and @Tim_McD's stew are the perfect autumnal comfort foods.

Well done!
You had to do that, didn't you? :lol:
Yup, it was Reese Peanut Butter Cup moment. The waffles got into the bearnaise sauce, no the bearnaise sauce got into the waffles.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think mother sauces should be their own food group.
Your chicken & dumplings and @Tim_McD's stew are the perfect autumnal comfort foods.

Yup, it was Reese Peanut Butter Cup moment. The waffles got into the bearnaise sauce, no the bearnaise sauce got into the waffles.
Well, I never would have thought about this combo, but now that I see it I realize it’s genius.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

There's a place around here that does a lot of things with Belgian waffles, and one of those things is a variation on a benedict. I've been dying to try it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My Adventures in Rye Baking continue with a no-knead, soaked, yeast-leavened loaf made with 100% rye and molasses. For a no-knead bread, this one was fairly complex with an overnight soak before adding the yeast and, then, two rises before baking, followed by cooling and resting it overnight. Still, it wasn't difficult, and it came out pretty dadgum tasty. It all but shouted for marmalade and good shot of espresso.

20181114_054339.jpg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Rainy days cry out for jalapeño-serrano cornbread muffins in the old Griswold....

IMG_1220.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom