What's new

What's Cooking 2017

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looks great Aaron!

Do you make your own tortillas or are you lucky enough to have reliable sources for a quality product? All looks so good!

dave

Thanks Dave.

No, the big flour tortillas (over 12" in diameter) I don't make. The one you see in the picture is made out of a commercial tacorilla out of San Antoinio. They are pretty good quality.

Was shopping and wandering the aisles of our local, very big International Food Emporium this morning with an open looking for buckets of lard. No luck there but this caught my eye in one of the chest freezers. No firm plans yet as to how to put it into use but will probably start with simple fried potatoes, Potatoes Sarladaises in the 'fat' book.

Suggestions?

dave

... but this caught my eye in one of the chest freezers. No firm plans yet as to how to put it into use but will probably start with simple fried potatoes, Potatoes Sarladaises in the 'fat' book. ...
Certainly, there is a school of thought espousing duck-fat fries as the highest & best use of duck fat (and they're on the menu at a pub near my place of employment :) ).

Marinated and then reverse-seared tri-tip. Marinated a little too long and should have rested it for another minute or two but still turned out really good.

IMG_1892.JPG

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Lamb Chops with a Balsamic/Cognac Reduction, French Cut Green Beans with Toasted Almonds, & a salad of Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Baby Pickled Beets, Kalamata Olives, Basil, & Feta Cheese

IMG_5162.jpg

Sirloin seasoned and cooked in a little olive oil, onions, and butter on a cast iron griddle. It rested a little too long while I was making the wife her plate, but it's not bad.

DSC_0039.JPG

Everyone's plating and cooking pictures always look so much better than mine... cause, well, it turns out, I'm an idiot. Apparently when they ship cell phones, there's this static cling strip of plastic on the screen to protect it. Seems they also put that same stuff on the camera lens. So for the last 2 years or so, I've been taking cell phone pics with my camera lens covered with an increasingly blurred and scratched piece of plastic film over it... :a52:

Everyone's plating and cooking pictures always look so much better than mine... cause, well, it turns out, I'm an idiot. Apparently when they ship cell phones, there's this static cling strip of plastic on the screen to protect it. Seems they also put that same stuff on the camera lens. So for the last 2 years or so, I've been taking cell phone pics with my camera lens covered with an increasingly blurred and scratched piece of plastic film over it... :a52:

:a14::lol::lol::lol:

But think of it this way, your lens is still just like new!!!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I can't blame protective film on my pics. I probably won't be taking many pics for a while. There will be a lot of skinless, boneless chicken breasts in my future, and when you've seen one you've seen them all.

I can't blame protective film on my pics. I probably won't be taking many pics for a while. There will be a lot of skinless, boneless chicken breasts in my future, and when you've seen one you've seen them all.
There are still ways to make them look and taste really great, so post away with them anyways!

Was shopping and wandering the aisles of our local, very big International Food Emporium this morning with an open looking for buckets of lard. No luck there but this caught my eye in one of the chest freezers. No firm plans yet as to how to put it into use but will probably start with simple fried potatoes, Potatoes Sarladaises in the 'fat' book.

Suggestions?

dave
As a guy on the ketogenic diet, I'm aching for some duck fat in my meals!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I cheated and just got Patek's. I did buy some extra hot ground chili to add to it, though.

Nothing wrong with a Pataks cheat, I'm guilty of that myself from time to time. Adding a little ground chilli sounds a great plan.
I worked with a Indian chap a few years back. He always had whole chillies on the side with his curry. He said the curry was made mild, so his kids could also eat it and he used the chill as a heat kicker.

There will be a lot of skinless, boneless chicken breasts in my future, and when you've seen one you've seen them all.

I lost, or it just went totally out of whack, my sense of taste for 10 months.

In the hospital recovering from surgery, my first solid food in too long arrived, removed the silver dome from the plate and there sat a pale, white, skinless, boneless, steamed chicken breast, an absolute abysmal sight, totally uninspiring. Cut off a piece popped it in my mouth, chewed and it was glorious, tasted exactly like i remembered chicken tasting, rather bland but it was definitely chicken. My wife hustled out and was soon back with some real food as i needed to taste food again while i could as i had no idea whether this was a blip or permanent.

Five years and running, food is good!

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nothing wrong with a Pataks cheat, I'm guilty of that myself from time to time. Adding a little ground chilli sounds a great plan.
I worked with a Indian chap a few years back. He always had whole chillies on the side with his curry. He said the curry was made mild, so his kids could also eat it and he used the chill as a heat kicker.
I got a pretty good sized bag of chili for $2.99
I lost, or it just went totally out of whack, my sense of taste for 10 months.

In the hospital recovering from surgery, my first solid food in too long arrived, removed the silver dome from the plate and there sat a pale, white, skinless, boneless, steamed chicken breast, an absolute abysmal sight, totally uninspiring. Cut off a piece popped it in my mouth, chewed and it was glorious, tasted exactly like i remembered chicken tasting, rather bland but it was definitely chicken. My wife hustled out and was soon back with some real food as i needed to taste food again while i could as i had no idea whether this was a blip or permanent.

Five years and running, food is good!

dave
I will be using a lot of spices, for sure.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
We eat a lot of chicken breast here. Just had chicken curry a la Patak's Madras. Stir fried veg mix from frozen. And rice. When grilling outside it is hard to beat, for me, Greek seasoning, olive oil, and a bit of water to revive the spices. Slather it on while the chicken is cooking low and slow. Goes well on roasted peppers and onions as well.

Lot's of options.

Suggestions?

dave

A magical ingredient - potatoes Salardaises will be great, even just plain roast potatoes will be taken to a new level. It has a really high smoke point so you can get it really hot before you put the spuds in and get great crispiness. Plus you can re-use it unlike butter.

Almost anything you use oil or shortening in, you can use duck fat.

Top Bottom