What's new

What's Cooking 2017

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It looks and sounds good. Let us know how it taste after it gets a chance to age.... If it actually does get a chance to age.. :a36:

The lids are on and the jars are in the back of the pantry, out of sigh and hopfully out of mind.
I let you know how it turns out in a few weeks.....or thereabouts. :)

I have a surplus of tomatoes, so made a tomato relish.
1.5kg / 3.3lb of tomatoes - skinned, cored & chopped
3 onions - chopped
Salted the chopped onion & tomatoes. Left overnight, then drained

4 cloved of garlic minced, 1 tablespoon curry powder, 1 tablespoon mustard powder, 1/4 teaspoon dried scotch bonnet. Mixed with tomato & onion in a pot. Cooked for a few minutes then added a cup of apple cider vinager. Cooked for 15 minutes then added a cup of sugar.
simmered for 1.25 hours.
Thickened with some cornflour water mix. Cooked out for another 5 minutes.

Now just to let them sit for a few weeks to age.

View attachment 772916

View attachment 772915

Gumbo made with Chicken, Andouille & Smoked Sausage, Shrimp, Okra, & Filé, served with Brown Jasmine Rice.
View attachment 772961

View attachment 772962

Both look amazing!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was telling my wife that it needed to age for a few weeks while I was tasting it. I went back for another taste and she told me to stop, as it needs to age for a few weeks......:(
Funny how they remember what they want to :) I stole your recipe, by the way.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Funny how they remember what they want to :) I stole your recipe, by the way.

So true.
Steal away....I checked a few receipes and they all had in common tomato (funny that), onion, curry powder, mustard powder, vinager and sugar.
The type of vinager used was either malt, white wine or apple cider vanager. Extras were garlic and chilli flakes optional. One also used raisins

17098205_10155903538973275_2897717343803953018_n.jpg
16939250_10155903538978275_5702648146351221341_n.jpg
17021435_10155903538983275_8062606829551199900_n.jpg

Decided to try something a bit different so I plumped for Mexican...

I made a rub for a lump of chuck steak of onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, smoked paprika, regular paprika, chili, cumin, salt and black pepper, used about half of it on the meat and let it sit for a couple of hours while I watched the Crusaders sneak past the Highlanders. Then got a big pot and heated some oil and seared off the meat, then set it aside.

Let the pan cool a little then more oil and in with a thinly sliced onion which I sweated off for about 15 mins, then in with a couple of cloves of garlic, chopped quite fine, a diced red pepper, and the rest of the spice mix. Continue gentle frying for another few mins, then in with a tin of chopped toms, a small box of beef stock and half a tin of chipotle peppers (this I might omit next time as they came in a rather salty sauce), beef back in and a gentle simmer while the Brumbies succumbed to a last second score by the Sharks which made me smirk.

Guacamole, mashed up a couple of genuine Mexican avocados and squeezed in two limes, a finely chopped red chilli, minced red onion and grated in a clove of garlic, stirred all together and just before serving threw in some finely chopped coriander leaf.

Shop-bought tortillas, sour cream and a shredded Romaine lettuce and that was that.

Quite tasty if not overly photogenic, and we had enough for one tortilla-worth for breakfast just now (note to self, next time make it the day before and reheat for dinner!).

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Breakfast tacos this morning. Someone took a bite before the camera shutter could click. :biggrin: Used my garden fresh tomatillo's for a spicy salsa. Refried beans, smoked brisket, chorizo and potatoes and grated cheese.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Omelette made with Sautéed Shrimp, Shallot, Red Bell Pepper, Green Onion, & Shredded Mexican Cheese.

IMG_5158.jpg

Served with Guacamole on a Toasted Split Multi-grain English Muffin.
IMG_5160.jpg

A piece of strip loin for two plus a future stir fry, reverse seared, took almost an hour to hit 125F in a 250F oven. Nice hot cast iron pan to sear. Shiitakes and button mushrooms sauteed with shallots, garlic and thyme then finished with a cnunk of blue cheese butter, salt and pepper. Fried up colcannon patties.

Brown rice pudding, raisins, currants and dried cherries. Ran out of vanilla extract so added in some Triple Sec for a different take.

dave

17190776_10155924104783275_4697886854357149668_n.jpg
17202812_10155924104778275_2894972208399892968_n.jpg

These seem to be the wrong way around but last night's starter was roast beetroot carpaccio with a rocket and orange salad topped with feta cheese, main course, chicken ballotine with a chicken and roast red pepper farce, and a roast red pepper and tomato cream sauce.

We are having friends over for dinner Saturday and I wanted to practice the starter - it turned out fine which is more than can be said for my photography. I plan to do a large lump of beef tomorrow night so a light starter will be called for.

Ah well, here we are, Friday evening. The mem has decided she wants to go shopping after work and eat local stir-fried mystery meat and brown goo, so I went for a solo rib eye and salad here (and a bottle of Bordeaux). As one does.

17264970_10155928469378275_5140825101243332397_n.jpg
17264970_10155928469378275_5140825101243332397_n.jpg

I have a 300g ribeye which I cooked in the sous vide at 56c for one hour, then seared at seriously hot for 30 seconds each side. Salad is in a dressing of grated garlic, Dijon mustard, cider vinegar, chili oil, EVOO and S&P.

Clearly I have yet to get to grips with the new style forum and have posted the same photograph twice. Old f*rt baffled by new technology. Please forgive (or send gin).

So ... this just happened. I'm not a vegan, nor do I play one on tv, but every now & again ...

Sauteed some onion & garlic in olive oil. Squeeze of lemon & splash of white wine. Tossed in some thinly-sliced green pepper. Then some garbanzos that I pressure cooked yesterday. Then it got fun: salt, turmeric, sage, freshly ground white pepper, a pinch of cardamom and a dash of cayenne. Diced up a plum tomato. A little more oil & wine. Boiled the whole wheat spaghettini. With two minutes to go, turned off the heat and mixed in about a quarter of a thinly sliced avocado. Went nicely with a glass of Pinot Grigio (and I rarely opt for white).
SWMBO was quite pleased, as was I.

Last edited:
A piece of strip loin for two plus a future stir fry, reverse seared, took almost an hour to hit 125F in a 250F oven. Nice hot cast iron pan to sear. Shiitakes and button mushrooms sauteed with shallots, garlic and thyme then finished with a cnunk of blue cheese butter, salt and pepper. Fried up colcannon patties.
dave
Extraordinary photos.

Brown rice pudding, raisins, currants and dried cherries. Ran out of vanilla extract so added in some Triple Sec for a different take.

dave
I'm going to have to try making some rice pudding. Of course that steak looks wonderful!

Thanks so much guys! There's a sweet spot on the kitchen counter where the lighting makes things look good so try to shoot everything there.

Music? I just hit a birthday milestone and a friend put together the ultimate gift, a mix tape, well took three cd's, a song from every year, lots of surprises twists and turns, the unexpected and lots of favourites. Met her thirty or so years ago through music and music is a major thread that binds all my friends so very cool mix of tunes, she knew where to take it.

Thanks again!
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks so much guys! There's a sweet spot on the kitchen counter where the lighting makes things look good so try to shoot everything there.

Music? I just hit a birthday milestone and a friend put together the ultimate gift, a mix tape, well took three cd's, a song from every year, lots of surprises twists and turns, the unexpected and lots of favourites. Met her thirty or so years ago through music and music is a major thread that binds all my friends so very cool mix of tunes, she knew where to take it.

Thanks again!
dave
The lighting may be good, but it's your presentation that rocks.

Looks great Aaron!

Do you make your own tortillas or are you lucky enough to have reliable sources for a quality product? All looks so good!

dave

Top Bottom