What's new

What's Cooking 2017

Sunday, roasted a half leg of Aussie lamb that a house guest brought us last month, superb piece of meat, but too much for 2, so yesterday made a curry with the left overs. I made a kind of masalah sauce based on a Rogan Josh (posted a few pages ago), and put the lamb bone in then let it simmer for a couple of hours. I used some homemade chicken stock for liquid. Then roughly cubed the leftover lamb and let it warm through.

Thicken it up with some plain yogurt.

Served with Kerala Vegetable Thoran (also posted a few pages back), an onion and pomegranate raita and some rather disappointing shop-bought naan.
17546873_10155994046898275_8073965611659815423_o.jpg

I've yet to find any store bought naan that was any better than barely average as well. The rest sounds like pure awesome, though!

I've yet to find any store bought naan that was any better than barely average as well. The rest sounds like pure awesome, though!

I know, I don't know why we bothered to buy them but they were a different brand to ones we had tried before. We have found parathas in the freezer section which are actually quite good so that is the way forward!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
In my neighbourhood there are many types of parathas. Veggies and spices baked into Naan is my description . . . Even one for breakfast is fairly substantial. Sorry if I oversimplify. (I like them . . . just can't get through a package quickly enough)

Naans in a restaurant are light and crispy, but all the shop bought ones are too thick and chewy: parathas are usually much thinner and multi-layered. Lots of butter in them so really good for you(!)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My diet has been mainly chicken breasts and protein drinks. The wife is making pot roast today- I am stoked. I will not be eating any mashed potatoes, though, so I told her we need extra carrots.

I'm not really one to do much in the way of cooking while flying solo but did throw a quick one together while my wife and daughter were away last weekend. Lots of cheats, fresh triangoli pasta stuffed with porcini mushrooms and truffles, veal sausage/tomato sauce made with sausage from one of the butchers i use and a jar of tomato sauce i canned last summer.

Tonight, everyone home... cracked open the tub of duck fat i bought a while ago, fried chicken thighs skin down in the fat until a nice colour then flipped them and roasted in the oven to finish.

Spring salad of farro, uncooked asparagus, radishes and dill with a lemon/grainy dijon vinaigrette with a light dusting of snow.

Fresh apple pie for dessert.

Music; Psychedelic Brasil- Rough Guide Compilation

dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Our local Fortino's has kicked things into high gear. About 20' of new glass door fridges dedicated to pasta and sauce. I enjoyed some of these triangle ravioli . . . my wife was unfortunately dead asleep recovering from being sedated for a root canal. Sadly I had to take her plate from her lap and eat it myself.:001_rolle.

No fear . . . nobody is starving.

Our local Fortino's has kicked things into high gear. About 20' of new glass door fridges dedicated to pasta and sauce. I enjoyed some of these triangle ravioli . . . my wife was unfortunately dead asleep recovering from being sedated for a root canal. Sadly I had to take her plate from her lap and eat it myself.:001_rolle.

No fear . . . nobody is starving.

The Shopper;s around the corner carries them in their new grocery section, Fortino's (started here), Shopper's, Loblaws all the same parent company.

dave

Thanks Owen & Dustin!

My wife was craving pizza so she went to town. Scratch dough and i made the tomato sauce last summer. Not much else for me to do, man the peel & lifters, oven, cutter and camera.

#1 is a white, loads of garlic, olive oil and a mix of mild provolone/fontina cheeses.

#2 - Tomato sauce, artichoke hearts, muffalata mix, buffalo mozzarella then baked. Topped after with shaved prosciutto and Parmesan. A keeper of an ad lib.

#3 The Standard - Tomato sauce, sliced mushrooms, pickled hot peppers, pre-broiled hot Hungarian sausage, more of the provolone/fontina mix.

Baked @ 500F on a pizza steel ~10 minutes each, can only fit one at a time, maybe time for another steel...
dave

Top Bottom