What's new

What's comparable to GD Preshave?

Hey guys, I've been using Grooming Dept Moisturizing Preshave for every shave for almost a couple years, it's become a staple of my prep. However, because of the intermittent releases and the fact that my girlfriend also uses it, I'm beginning to run a little low. Has anyone found anything that works comparably?

I would be interested in this also. I am about half way through my first jar being somewhat convinced it helps but wasn't sold.

A day or two ago, I realzed that I wasn't rubbing it into my trouble spots (Adam's apple up to chin). Even though a little uncomfortable, I started rubbing it in there too and on a couple of shaves my trouble spots became less troubling.

I saw something on Ariana and Evans Facebook about a preshave serum. I really like their soap and was thinking about giving it a try for some of the same reasons you mention, but have no experience to be able to recommend it.

I was using Proraso Green pre-shave and found it to be effective.

+1 The only other preshave i’ve heard get as many accolades as GD has been proraso. That said, my one tub of GD preshave is still going after 16 months. I use it every shave and shave every other day. I’d just recommend buying 2 when you’re almost done with your current stash. Though i will admit, the spotty inventory at GD has always bothered me.

In a few weeks, Ethos Grooming will be releasing a preshave serum. If it's like their other products, it will be superb. I'll be getting some when it is released.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Obviously, we are all different. I like the Baume.be pre-shave a lot... it is a thin gel compared to GD's thicker gel-cream. Both provide additional slickness for me. I do have to use a much thinner lather when using the GD because it really thickens up the lather when you apply it to your face... or at least, my face.

I'm currently trying the PAA Cube/Tube2.. the Cube in the shower... the Tube on my face as a pre-shave. They seem to be excellent... better than GD? I can't say that at the moment.... but they add the slickness for me. I didn't get the mentholated product.

So, comparing all three products... the Baume.be comes in last for me... but not because it doesn't work. It's the most expensive per use by far, I think.. Add to that, it's not always available.

The GD and Phoenix Cube2/Tube2 are tied at the moment. Both are amazing. The thing I have noticed is... I don't need to think about my lather with the Tube2.... just whip it up until it looks "right".. no need to make sure it's thin. That makes it a bit more automatic... mindless. Mindless works for my brain. <eg>

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Obviously, we are all different. I like the Baume.be pre-shave a lot... it is a thin gel compared to GD's thicker gel-cream. Both provide additional slickness for me. I do have to use a much thinner lather when using the GD because it really thickens up the lather when you apply it to your face... or at least, my face.

I'm currently trying the PAA Cube/Tube2.. the Cube in the shower... the Tube on my face as a pre-shave. They seem to be excellent... better than GD? I can't say that at the moment.... but they add the slickness for me. I didn't get the mentholated product.

So, comparing all three products... the Baume.be comes in last for me... but not because it doesn't work. It's the most expensive per use by far, I think.. Add to that, it's not always available.

The GD and Phoenix Cube2/Tube2 are tied at the moment. Both are amazing. The thing I have noticed is... I don't need to think about my lather with the Tube2.... just whip it up until it looks "right".. no need to make sure it's thin. That makes it a bit more automatic... mindless. Mindless works for my brain. <eg>
I have never used the baum preshave but I have been using the cube over the past year and am seriously impressed. I previously used GD for a couple of years. If GD is a 100, the cube is maybe a 95. It's perfectly acceptable. It's much cheaper and lasts forever. The two I bought at the beginning of this year should last me at least 2 or 3 years more. I have barely made a dent in it.

Top Bottom