What's new

What's coming out of YOUR roaster?

@Wid
I wonder if both of these need not just a darker roast, but a higher heat setting? Possibly at different phases of the roast, maybe try more after first crack(less turn down).

Reactions: Wid
@Wid
I wonder if both of these need not just a darker roast, but a higher heat setting? Possibly at different phases of the roast, maybe try more after first crack(less turn down).

I pushed the heat pretty good going into first crack. My probe was past 450F when I pulled them, had the power up to 5 and the fan down to 3 on both. Most times I end up on 4 and 4 or sometimes 3 and pull at 440F or below.

If I push the heat during the drying phase I'll end up well past 325 or so before the 3 minute mark. If I crank the heat after drying I'm sure first crack would happen much sooner than 6 to 7 minutes. Maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing. Now if I go even higher than I did after FC I'm afraid I'll scorch the beans at the end. Maybe I should do it and if they get ruined so be it.

Maybe I should do it and if they get ruined so be it.
Sorry to say that was kind of what I was encouraging because it sounded like you wanted to use up the coffee and it could be a good learning experience. I am not sure which of the three possibilities is likeliest to produce favourable results so I will leave that up to you. Just don't burn your kitchen down!

Reactions: Wid
Ethiopia Gera Nano Challa (City+)

full

I roasted two batches for espresso today, they both came out basically the same. I did a thorough disassembly and cleaning of my machine and nothing changed after doing it so I consider that a success!

Panama Natural(Cityish)

full

Second out of three, not quite City+, first one was all the way there. I was aiming for barely City and got between there and City+ on this one and the third, but this was the minimum time after first crack that I was comfortable with. This is practice for the Gesha that I have been hoarding! 😬

Decaf Moka Java(City+)

full

This is right at City+ and is probably too light for this coffee, but the roast was taking forever and I pulled it. This might work out alright, if not I can add 30 seconds next time to get it just to Full City.

Panama Natural(Cityish)

full

Second out of three, not quite City+, first one was all the way there. I was aiming for barely City and got between there and City+ on this one and the third, but this was the minimum time after first crack that I was comfortable with. This is practice for the Gesha that I have been hoarding! 😬

Decaf Moka Java(City+)

full

This is right at City+ and is probably too light for this coffee, but the roast was taking forever and I pulled it. This might work out alright, if not I can add 30 seconds next time to get it just to Full City.
Good call practicing for the gesha roast!

I have not roasted a more stressful variety. I recall you roasted some before and it was less than the stellar reputation. At least, I think I remember reading that...

The gesha roasts that really shined for me were still popping in first crack when I dropped them into the cooling tray. My brain screamed at me that it was too early, but simultaneously screamed at itself that everything we'd researched said to take it light.

There's a podcast called Coffee Roasting Navigated that has a 3 or 4 part series of episodes on roasting gesha coffees. Some of it does not apply to home roasters, but a lot of it clicked with me.

I recall you roasted some before and it was less than the stellar reputation.
This was Wid, he just gets things done while I deliberate excessively. I have had these Gesha for months and now I feel kind of silly because it looks the same as the Panama I just roasted. What could possibly go wrong, I just deep cleaned my machine...
My brain screamed at me that it was too early, but simultaneously screamed at itself that everything we'd researched said to take it light.
I could feel my insides tightening just reading this LOL. I wish it was as easy as a simple decision with my roaster, but without a bean mass temperature, some beans need to end at different display temperatures than others.

I really need to pay the $500 for the upgraded panel, but it's a tough pill to swallow and I will eventually just get a Bullet I am sure.

Took it pretty high as far as heat goes but it still only came out to 15% loss.
It looks pretty good to me, just a bit further than when I roast Mex. There is already some signs of oil, more tomorrow no doubt, so you were into second crack if just barely. Looks as even as you could hope for so you got the first part of the roast right!

It looks pretty good to me, just a bit further than when I roast Mex. There is already some signs of oil, more tomorrow no doubt, so you were into second crack if just barely. Looks as even as you could hope for so you got the first part of the roast right!

Yeah, I figured it was just into second crack. This roast is two days old so not sure if there will be more oil to come. I might not even roast it if my 5 year old grandson didn’t like his coffee so much. He tells me he can only drink decaf lol.

I might not even roast it if my 5 year old grandson didn’t like his coffee so much. He tells me he can only drink decaf lol.
Once he turns 10, you can get him an inexpensive espresso machine like I got. Then he can play like us adults and learn to be responsible with things that can burn.

Well, that decaf was a bust. The wife said it wasn’t bad but I thought it had a bitter aftertaste and no real redeeming qualities to it. It went straight into the trash.

Tried it again, so here it is. I went back to my notes and just followed what I had previously done. Both batches were around 13% on loss. Hopefully the bitterness is gone and it tastes as good as I expect.

3D89510E-1B97-4621-BD6F-E1B61A3BD04D.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Costa Rican Tarrazu. I heard 2 snaps of second crack as I was dumping it. I’m calling it Full City+. 16.5% loss which according to most of the charts is bordering on burnt. IMO that’s why you can’t rely on % loss to gauge your roast.
AE3EA987-35E3-47B5-A9A0-03A1D991EF7B.jpeg

Ordered a few pounds of Yemen Mocca Mattari - Pearl of Tehama last night. Looking forward to this one

Also picked up some Bolivian beans along with some Ethiopian, 5 pounds of each, This is the first time for Bolivian I do believe

Top Bottom