What's new

What's coming out of YOUR roaster?

For the second, actually third and fourth, batch today. Done to 14.7% loss on both. Recommended roast is light medium to medium.

IMG_9103.jpeg
IMG_9105.jpeg
70491128196__DB8A6B5C-39C5-4EC9-89C1-75CF15FB90C7.jpeg

Image1606285114840120314.jpg
It has been a long time since I've tasted coffee from this part of the world. I finally have a roast day where I'm not also out of coffee. Hope to let this sit for at least three or four days before I need it.
Image5906716351721362363.jpg
I pulled it with the probe measuring 435 degrees, well before second crack. I guess it hit about City. I wouldn't know how to calculate the percentage of weight loss.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know how to calculate the percentage of weight loss.
Weigh your green coffee > roast > weigh your roasted coffee > solve for x :

Green weight / 100 = Roasted weight / x
(Formatting got messed up in initial post)

100 - x = weight loss %

There's probably a better way to do that same equation. My roaster's software does it for me when I plug in the weights.

Idk if it matters though. Weight loss is A way to measure relative roast level, but if you're roasting good coffee without noticing weight loss percentage, you might not need it.

I like having something else to blame when I screw up a roast or two. It's not my roast curve, it's because I roasted too long! ;)

Yesterday, my brother texted me that he wants good coffee back in his life.

Today, I roasted enough to send him 6.6lbs.

I forgot how much chaff this one Ethiopia let's go during the roast. It choked up the cooling tray fan and it took a couple more minutes than usual to cool. I didn't realize why until I took the tray out to bag up the coffee.

That Ethiopia is all gone now, but hopefully I'll remember for future chaffy beans!

I really hope I can get the promised dried blueberry and glazed orange peel.
Update: First crack started at a higher-than-I'm-used-to temp, ~205C. I ended the roast 1:15 later at ~218C, and first crack was still very actively popping.

13.7% loss, and the bean I chomped tastes very strongly of blueberries. YEAH BUDDY!

I am a little concerned that my temp sensor is acting up. We'll see if it's still wonky next roast day.

Roasted a self blended coffee today.
Image1071996611908467281.jpg
It was quite a few months ago that I blended it, but I'm fairly sure I mixed this Java with a one-to-one ratio with a Yemen mocha, and then a small one-to-five bit of Ethiopian. Roasted it to onset of second crack and pulled at 435 degrees.
Image2473971303144191831.jpg
Hope to let it rest at least three days.

Decaf beans are so much better than they used to be! Not all, but certainly some!

I'm partial to SWP and MWP, because I haven't had good ones from other decaf processes. I've had an awful Peru SWP that almost scared me away for good, but followed it up with a Costa Rica the best decaf I've ever tasted. It had no right to be that tasty. I couldn't find the regular-caf version to compare, and that decaf sold out quickly, but I am happy to have experienced and shared it!

Top Bottom