What's new

What's coming out of YOUR roaster?

Guatemala Huehuetenango for my uncle. He likes it DARK!

IMG_20230427_103033371_HDR.jpg

Well into second crack. 20% loss.

I also roasted an Ethiopia for myself. 15% loss, and that was pushing a little dark for me.

I have favorite saying, it is why screw up something good like coffee beans, let a Professional Roast them. Good friend had Coffee, Gift Shop, and Event Venue. Sadly he sold business, new owner is opposite of OCD, :em1500:

He was great at making Coffee, Coffee Drinks, because he was OCD, and was detail orientated. Everything had to be right, or you waited until it was. Best Cup of Black Coffee I ever had.

One of the Mysteries of Life in How Can Starbucks have such awful Coffee. Their Black Coffee is like top of my worst Coffee I have ever tasted.

My friend say it is Roasted in too big a batch, it is Over Roasted, and alway BITTER. Starbuck make it money selling bad Coffee as Coffee Drink Camouflaged with weird names, sweeteners, and flavor to make BAD COFFEE TAST GOOD.

To ad insult to injury they charge $4.50 up to $7.00 for the experience.

Last edited:
Starbucks built the infrastructure upon which my beloved Third Wave Coffee is allowed to exist. I am grateful for that.

I believe that bad coffee should only be consumed as if it were medicine. I'm not supposed to enjoy it; I just need it to work. In that regard, I'll take 7-Eleven over Starbucks.

Finally remembered to grab a before and after of this Panama dry process. It's a bit funky and I kinda wish I didn't buy ten pounds of it. It was fantastic the first few times but admittedly I'm growing tired of the fruity coffee. Went a bit darker this time to see if I can draw some chocolate out of it.

14.0% weight loss 23.5% development time.
20230429_102808.jpg
20230429_104433.jpg

Finally remembered to grab a before and after of this Panama dry process. It's a bit funky and I kinda wish I didn't buy ten pounds of it. It was fantastic the first few times but admittedly I'm growing tired of the fruity coffee. Went a bit darker this time to see if I can draw some chocolate out of it.

14.0% weight loss 23.5% development time.
View attachment 1646254View attachment 1646255
Curious how long you're letting it rest?

Image4183618246219981568.jpg
I can't say that I really appreciate any difference in the cup for this honey process coffee. Unfortunately I've been too busy to roast for a few days and will be dipping into this tomorrow. I'll be curious to taste the changes each day as it gasses off. It certainly has a different look to the greens. Kind of mottled.
Image4880457733286781534.jpg
I replaced the dryer vent that exhausts the roaster. It was pretty choked with about seven years of coffee oils and dust that gets through the chaff collector. So, I think my airflow might have significantly improved over my last roast. What I like about this roaster is that it uses the external fan sitting beside the machine to pull all the chaff away from the roaster chamber and all of the cleaning is outside of the drum.
Image6339965045797739038.jpg
I was surprised at how much chaff was in this type of processes coffee! Probably twice as much as usual.
Image173326689202334265.jpg
I pulled it at 440 degrees F and it was well into second crack.
Image5357503758032725070.jpg

Nice. I have never bought the fancy coffee storage containers.
I bought it before I started roasting my own coffee. It's served me well at this point just from the amount of coffee it's held. I also appreciate that it is ceramic and cleans quite easily with the wipe of a damp cloth. I certainly don't think they are necessary, and likely even less necessary for home roasters.

I feel like freshly roasted coffee off gassing is plenty effective from a storage perspective.

Top Bottom