What's new

What's Brewing ? - August

I dont know if I am able to start this off but here I go. :smile:

Single Shot Basaltic Burbon

I find myself really liking single origins vs blends. Im trying to finish this one up so I can have a reason to order more single origin.

boy that looks good. I always wanted to go into some coffeshop other than starbucks and get something but i wouldn't know where to start.

Intelligentsia House Blend- This is a medium roast blend of Central American coffees. Nothing spectacular just a nice smooth balanced cuppajoe.

Oren's Daily Roast Yemen Mokka-Mmmm this stuff is really tasty, nice fruity acidity and very smooth. A little over priced at $20 a pound but Yemens arent easy to find and are some of my favorite coffees. Also the fact that its available locally and i dont have to pay shipping makes it a little better deal.

Im gonna need to order some coffee next week anyone have any recommendations?? I love African and some Centrals but I really dont like the Asia/Pacific coffees with the exception of some Papua New Guineas.

I dont know if I am able to start this off but here I go. :smile:

Single Shot Basaltic Burbon

I find myself really liking single origins vs blends. Im trying to finish this one up so I can have a reason to order more single origin.

Boy that looks delicious... Ambrose, you my friend... have nice taste in razors & in coffee...

Thank you sir, Ive come along way with my coffee in fact at one point I wanted to give up on home roasting and brewing. Remember that guys ? :lol:

As for the razors I only have a small collection of a few interesting fantastic shavers. Im a simple guy really just with an acquired kind of taste. Ill post my a pic of my den soon I have never revealed it to anyone on here before.

Intelligentsia House Blend- This is a medium roast blend of Central American coffees. Nothing spectacular just a nice smooth balanced cuppajoe.

Oren's Daily Roast Yemen Mokka-Mmmm this stuff is really tasty, nice fruity acidity and very smooth. A little over priced at $20 a pound but Yemens arent easy to find and are some of my favorite coffees. Also the fact that its available locally and i dont have to pay shipping makes it a little better deal.

Im gonna need to order some coffee next week anyone have any recommendations?? I love African and some Centrals but I really dont like the Asia/Pacific coffees with the exception of some Papua New Guineas.

Bolivian

Boy thats some fine looking crema I wish i could afford a better machine. but for now I do get decent shots. But there is nowhere here to get the goods.

Thanks for starting us off for August, Ambrose!

I have just returned from a week of vacation. I brought along my aeropress and ended up having some Starbucks Rwanda out of desperation. Not as brutally over-roasted as most of their junk, and barely passable. I am glad to be back home with my own coffee stash.

I started the month with Yrgacheffe.
Believe it or not, I have gotten decent coffee at a Charbucks. If its all that is around, I ask for their lightest roast and once in awhile I can actually taste the flavors. Their absolute worst, though, has got to be Italian Roast. It tastes like burnt rubber.

:lol: Charbucks,

Thank you Scotto I wasnt sure if I was able to start it off, I came looking to post my coffee and I didnt see August up yet.

Im going to be placing an order soon from sweet marias for more single origin, any recommendations ?

The Mick, you will have a laugh at me sir, my set up is a mr coffee personal espresso machine about $29, a custom made C ripple tamper $25, a mr coffee grinder $19 and a stove and pot for roasting. Its taken me tons of tinkering and experimenting to get this simple set up to work for me. I have to say I cant complain, I like the results im getting.

So I started my Monday with the last of my basaltic bourbon, finally! I had a single shot this was a very very bad shot as you can tell by the dark outer ring , good thing I dont make this bad of shot to often but every once in a while eek. Ive roasted up some bolivian this morning but Ill need to order more beans today as this wont last me but a few days.

Nice picture, Ambrose.

Out of curious, how much rest do your beans typically have? The crema looks a bit gassy in your pics, though that could be an illusion.

Are you talking about the last pic or the first one? I usually let them sit 24 hrs before I brew. The second pic was just a bad shot of espresso those beans were about 3+ weeks old eekk!! A bit to old for my taste but thats because I over roasted last time.

The first one, and some others I have seen. I usually don't bother with anything for at least 48 hours post-roast for espresso - too gassy to get a good shot, and the dissolved CO2 affects the taste. Still, if it is working for you, that's great.

The first one, and some others I have seen. I usually don't bother with anything for at least 48 hours post-roast for espresso - too gassy to get a good shot, and the dissolved CO2 affects the taste. Still, if it is working for you, that's great.

Scotto, he's using a steam toy. His "crema" will always look off with shots from that machine.

I've been enjoying lots of SOE with Peru APROCASSI FTO. This stuff has a pretty high rejection rate (visual defects). But when defects are removed, the cup is quite nice.

I've also got a 1/2lb. of some Hula Daddy #1 that was leftover from a sample pack. Also that 1/2lb. of IMV that you(Ambrose) sent me. It's quite enjoyable. (thanks!)

Roasting again this upcoming weekend, but I have no green. I'll have to hit up the local roasting outfit before then to get some to tide me over until more arrives.

Ah, that explains it. My crema looks significantly different, so I was confused. I can float a quarter on it it is so dense and thick.

I have been working on some espresso blends. Perhaps soon I'll have some available if folks want to try it out. It might be good to get some feedback.

I don't have a machine, but I do have a used Gaggia MDF espresso grinder that I'm willing to let go of.

This morning was more of the same, but as a macchiato. Peru APROCASSI FTO(that's Fair Trade / Organic)

It's getting a bit old. Roasted Sunday before last.

The Mick, you will have a laugh at me sir, my set up is a mr coffee personal espresso machine about $29, a custom made C ripple tamper $25, a mr coffee grinder $19 and a stove and pot for roasting. Its taken me tons of tinkering and experimenting to get this simple set up to work for me. I have to say I cant complain, I like the results im getting.

that sir is excellent when you can utilize lesser tools and yet build a fine product. I learned on a Mr.Coffee :) I now have a DeLonghi though I don't like the pressurized porta filter I do get descent shots.

I just had an espresso and some flan :wink2:

Top Bottom