What's new

What's Brewing - 2011

Roasted some Kenyan Peaberry coffee just in time for the weekend. It made a great pot of auto-drip, but IMO its most outstanding characteristic is the aroma. Its the second time I have roasted this origin and both times the coffee was excellent.

Roasted some Kenyan Peaberry coffee just in time for the weekend. It made a great pot of auto-drip, but IMO its most outstanding characteristic is the aroma. Its the second time I have roasted this origin and both times the coffee was excellent.

The couple of Kenyan coffees I've had would be great summer light roasts. I think I have some Nyeri Tegu to roast up...

I did a half pound of that a while back...really nice, light roast. I think I have 8oz left...need to do that soon. May try it as a cold brew.

Ben

My wife just returned from a trip to Dallas and brought back some freshly roasted in house gourmet beans from Eatzie's, a breakfast blend. Just ground some and brewed for a better than average flavor and aroma.

Sweet Maria's Rwanda Duhingekawa, Full City. It was much more potent at City+ as I recall. It's still quite tasty, and far more balanced.

Three coffees this weekend; I'm roasting off of a different outlet (less voltage drop) so I'm evaluating the results. Coffee taste seems to be improved with slightly shorter roast times (yet the same target roast level) in the Behmor.

El Salvador Finca La Florida with Costa Rica Manantiales Finca Fidel - Fruit bowl underscored by mixed nuts. Really tasty. This was roasted on the new outlet, and the brightness/acidity is clearer, while the cup overall is sweeter (at City+). Very nice.

El Salvador Molina de Santa Rita - Decent, well-rounded cup, but doesn't really sparkle like the above (roasted on the old outlet to City+). No sign of the supposed orange notes, but it's certainly not bad.

I don't think the outlet made all the difference, but I think it's helping.

Came back around to Molina de Santa Rita, and found it about the same as last time. It's just not fair to compare it to Finca la Florida. It's good, but not great.

Edit: The orange does show up, if you hold your mouth just right. It's more like rind than flesh.

Just finished the Brazil, moved on to AJ Coffee Co. El Salvador SO.

Another great one (but I like the Brazil better).
.. and unfortunately, the Lambari is gone. Soon to be replaced (like, Monday of next week) by Machado Pulped Natural.

I'll also start carrying the famous Sidama ARDI, and the better-but-not-as-popular Yirgacheffe Kochere in a couple of weeks.

.. and unfortunately, the Lambari is gone. Soon to be replaced (like, Monday of next week) by Machado Pulped Natural.

I'll also start carrying the famous Sidama ARDI, and the better-but-not-as-popular Yirgacheffe Kochere in a couple of weeks.

That is unfortunate! I guess I'll have to try the others then...shucks ;)

Took a roasting break this week and ordered some Rwanda Musasa from Jason. Reminds me a lot of the Duhingekawa I got from Sweet Marias, but a little less intense on the fruit (with improved balance). GREAT cup, highly recommended.

Also, been drinking Idido from Counter Culture at my local shop. A stunning cup of coffee.

Africa maintains it's seat on the throne of my coffee heart.

Took a roasting break this week and ordered some Rwanda Musasa from Jason. Reminds me a lot of the Duhingekawa I got from Sweet Marias, but a little less intense on the fruit (with improved balance). GREAT cup, highly recommended.

Also, been drinking Idido from Counter Culture at my local shop. A stunning cup of coffee.

Africa maintains it's seat on the throne of my coffee heart.
Thanks for the kind words, Josh! I didn't think overthrowing Africa as the king of your coffee heart would be an easy task. ;)

Just finished the Ethiopian and El Salvador SO's from the local shop/roaster

Tomorrow morning I'm opening up a fresh bag of AJ Coffee Co Brasil Fazendo Machado

Guatemala Acatenango Gesha - wow, wow, wow. That's good.

And, "technically", African in origin, so... king of the hill remains.

A nice carafe of Eight-O-Clock Colombian just ground with very deep cool well water! Measured precisely ... Viola!

It isn't fancy ... just plain good ole' cup of joe!

Guatemala Acatenango Gesha - wow, wow, wow. That's good.

And, "technically", African in origin, so... king of the hill remains.
That's cheating. Typica is also African in origin, but you don't go calling the Typica varietal "african" when it comes from somewhere else. In fact, Bourbon is also an heirloom varietal, and Central America is just full of it. :001_tt2:

That's cheating. Typica is also African in origin, but you don't go calling the Typica varietal "african" when it comes from somewhere else. In fact, Bourbon is also an heirloom varietal, and Central America is just full of it. :001_tt2:

Oh, let me have my fun - and you know the lineage of Gesha is a tad more directly (and recently) African...

A friend kindly sent me some Tea and Coffee samples. I look forward to trying them out!

Attachments

• $TWG-Tea--Timms-Coffee.jpg
    $TWG-Tea--Timms-Coffee.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom