What's new

Whats Brewing~ 2010

Coffee: Allegro Coffee(Whole Foods roasted) Costa Rican Dota
Tea: JasEtea.com Da Hong Pao "Big Red Robe" Wuyi oolong

Costa Rica Helsar "Villa Sarchi Solis" roasted to City+ and Java Kajumas Organic Wet-Hulled roasted to FC+ (both from Sweet Maria's).

Both extremely tasty, but wildly different. The Costa Rica is bright and "fruity," while the Java is smooth, bold, and...dare I say, brooding?

(Brewing method: French Press)

Roasted 1/2# of Ethiopia FTO DP Sidamo Shoye Union last night and brewed this morning. A total fruit bomb...lots of strawberry. A real pain to roast in the Behmor though as they are the smallest beans I've ever roasted. I ran the small-mesh drum in the cooling cycle before roasting to let some beans fall through. While roasting, a decent amount came out as well, so I dumped the chaff tray twice during the roast (seems like the more beans I have in the tray, the more likely I am to have a chaff fire at the end). Avoided a fire post roast and I was good to go. Like I said...a pain, but definitely worth it.

Ben

Some cheapo, but 1 day old roasted Ethiopain coffee. "jazzed" it up with some orange blossoms, a touch of cloves, a touch of cinnamon, and a bit of chicory.

While I've made some impressive gains in opening my wife's eyes to the joys of homeroasting drinking homeroasted coffee, there's still a pretty fierce brand loyalty to Caribou Coffee going on there. This past week, they unveiled their new Spring blend called "Lakeshore," a blend of Colombian and Guatamalan beans, and at $14 a pound, I had the expensive pleasure of trying it, courtesy of my lovely wife. :rolleyes:

It's not bad, but after my initial week of homeroasted beans, well, of course it can't measure up. I'm drinking the last of it right now and, as I said, it's not bad, but the thought that I'll be going back to homeroasted coffee tomorrow makes me smile.

Pulled 4 double shots of Sweet Maria's Monkey Espresso Blend while dialing in my Hario Skerton hand grinder. 4 shots were drank straight, 2 were dumped, and the remaining two turned into a mocha.

How did the Skerton do in an espresso grind? I have one, haven't used it yet.

It actually did quite well. I choked the machine easily with quite a bit of room to go finer.

If the Skerton is currently your only means of grinding for espresso, I'd say go for it. On the flip side, if you have a capable electric, I wouldn't bother.

I am not "up to par" with the rest of you brewing enthusiasts, but my meager Starbucks Kenya ground in my whirly and noisy cheap Krups grinder is not too bad coming out of my cheap Krups coffee pot.

I am not "up to par" with the rest of you brewing enthusiasts, but my meager Starbucks Kenya ground in my whirly and noisy cheap Krups grinder is not too bad coming out of my cheap Krups coffee pot.

:thumbup1:

Better than what you could have been drinking.

Last night I roasted up some Rwandan Gkongoro and Java Kajumas. Drinking some of the Java right now (and thinking that it could use another day to rest).

I have to place a mail order to Gimme! coffee every now and then as I loved that stuff when I lived in Ithaca, NY. Roasted on site and they usually get their beans from smalltime farmers. A bit on the pricier side, but ohhh so good.

Gimme! is the real deal.

I've been enjoying some Costa Rica Furta De Oro and Brasil Moreninha Formosa Raisin (both from the GCBC), as well as the second incarnation of "Spitfire", an espresso blend from Evocation Coffee Roasters. I have been asked for feedback.

Some gloopy double-ristretto shots of Sweet Marias Denouemoi espresso blend. Fruity!

Interesting...I've got a pound of green that I haven't gotten into yet.

This morning I sampled the results of my first Sumatra Mandheling roast. The use of the descriptor "pungent" on the label is an apt one. I think I like it. :001_huh:

Interesting...I've got a pound of green that I haven't gotten into yet.

This morning I sampled the results of my first Sumatra Mandheling roast. The use of the descriptor "pungent" on the label is an apt one. I think I like it. :001_huh:

It's very high-toned, so I like to draw out the roast a bit or it can be overpoweringly acidic.

It's very high-toned, so I like to draw out the roast a bit or it can be overpoweringly acidic.

Wow, this is good to know. If you think it's acidic, it'll probably blow me right out of the water! I've discovered that I tend to prefer coffees with more body and earthy notes as opposed to the bright, fruity, acidic ones.

I'll keep an open mind!

Roasted 1/2# of Brazil Cachoeira Yellow Canario Bourbon a couple days ago and have been drinking it for the past two days. A very nice cup. Chocolately and sweet. A nice break from all the Ethiopia I've been drinking lately.

Ben

Top Bottom