What's new

What's all this, then?

I thought I'd start a new thread for this.

Picked up this old DE on one of the online sites. No brand name, but stamped "Made in England" on the bottom (handle side) of the plate. Looks to be brass that at some point had a brighter (nickel? chrome?) plating, though that's mostly gone so it's possible there was a brand name etched on that. Hefty brass handle - maybe before or after the idea of "let's have a flimsy tube compressed by a screw thread" caught on, but definite similarities with the Gillette Old. Shaves well with an Astra SP.

I should have taken some shots of it dismantled, but there's not much to see. Just that "Made in England" (uppercase) stamp.

Any ideas?

Screenshot from 2023-05-14 09-29-33.png

Screenshot from 2023-05-14 10-51-59.png

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I've not seen any Gillettes that don't make a fuss about being Gillettes somewhere on them - though if the plating was off the cap of a 50s Tech the etching would have gone too. Still think it was stamped on the plate. (Just checked my Tech. It is.)

It's definitely trying to be an Old or something. Open to further suggestions, but if all else fails I'll try the ritual of summoning for Alum Ladd.

Last edited:
Picked up this old DE on one of the online sites. No brand name, but stamped "Made in England" on the bottom (handle side) of the plate. Looks to be brass that at some point had a brighter (nickel? chrome?) plating, though that's mostly gone so it's possible there was a brand name etched on that. Hefty brass handle - maybe before or after the idea of "let's have a flimsy tube compressed by a screw thread" caught on, but definite similarities with the Gillette Old. Shaves well with an Astra SP.
Looks to have quite a "7 O'clock" inspired handle type.

Major English companies like WJ Myatt, Laurel and Souplex were producing large numbers of fairly similar OC types in the 30's for the UK and Empire markets. There was a lot of competition in the industry, and Gillette did not have the monopoly.

Laurel for instance had the contract to produce all Woolworths razors, unbranded but sold under the Woolies name.

These were all excellent razors with great build quality.

Yours I suspect was made by one of the big manufacturers.

Top Bottom