What's new

What's All the Fuss About?

As will be evidenced by the words that follow, you'll find no lack of ignorance in my knowledge of all things brushes.

About 100 days ago I bought my first SR. I've come to love the sport.

When I geared up, I used a VERY large coffee mug that was wider than it is tall, and that was to be my lathering bowl until later. Now I find that I face lather, so no bowl required. I purchased off Amazon a "Badger Brush" that was real badger and I feel it works fine. If I recall, it was $11.

As my wife will attest, I don't mind buying the best I can afford.

I've learned through reading that silver tip badger is "king," if that's the right word (or even if it's an accurate statement). Alas, I don't know the difference/don't know any better.

I'll cut the chat and get to the question. What do I have to benefit if I drop a sum on a REALLY good brush? What difference(s) will I experience from the one I have now? I would mention by name what I have, but I'm not home, I don't recall the brand name, it's a very simple off-brand badger brush.

Is there a joy or a magic I'm missing out on if I don't treat myself to a brush to match the majesty of "board of brushes?"

Please tell me all you can. Thanks as always, friends!

Gentlemen, I neglected to read the stickies. I am reading them now actively and any answers you might have to the above that are covered there--you needn't reply. If you have any insight that you may know from personal experience, I'd be interested in knowing.

Thank you again, and my apologies for not following SOP. ALWAYS read the stickies first!

Thank you, @BigJ. In my vivid imagination I suppose I half-expected a response something along the lines of, "you haven't lived until you've tried one of THESE because. . . . "

No need to apologize!!

IMO, the point is to find out what sort of brush makes you happy! The answer may be a ’fancy’ 2-band, silvertip, or pure badger. Once you figure our your preference, then enjoy!! :a29:

^^^^
This

I've paid stupid amounts of money for brushes only to discover my two favorites are an Omega boar and a Simpson Trafalgar synthetic.

Experimentation is all part of the shaving journey.

Thank you, @macintoshBR. My $11 brush makes superb lather, and I rather like the scrinchy feeling borne of what might be a lack of quality. I suppose it's all subjective. I'm starting to think that where the money goes will depend on the day.

Lately, next item in line is Myrsol Emulsion in Limon. Next might be a Chevalier. After that, a fair chance of a divorce.
I can recommend both Myrsol and the Chevalier. These are fine items

A two band will make a difference regardless of how it is set. They don't lather hog like regular silver tip. The tips are almost as soft, but the shafts are thicker providing some nice resistance. Do be careful to look out for treated or gelled knots as those are ofter described as feeling slimy. You may like it, but for a first brush I can't recommend it. You can get a nice low set 2 band from Gentle Shave for, I think, 80 bucks. I got one from Gifts & Care just to see if it compares to more expensive brushes for less than $60 total. You can see which ones are two band just looking at them so searching visually is faster. Sometimes they are labeled as 'Manchurian' to make them sound higher end. I think my Shavemac was about $130, but it's a small brush. You shouldn't need to spend over $100 for a 24-26mm if you shop around.

It's fun to try different brushes- the hobby side of things. A $400 brush is certainly not any "better" than a $100 brush. Exclusivity does feed into the market prices so you don't want to gauge performance on the price. Try a few different brushes and you'll soon develope a sort of taste of what you like and branch off from there.

I would suggest using the brush you have
until you have a good idea of what you like about it,
as well as what you wish was different about it.

Then get a better badger brush with a good reputation for not shedding.

After that, I gave up on badgers and I got myself a synthetic brush and now I'm satisfied.

After that, I gave up on badgers and I got myself a synthetic brush and now I'm satisfied.

I’ll look into differences between badger and synthetic attributes. Thank you.

@SparkyLB, if you're a pretty handy Chap, nothing beats putting together your own brush. I used to do a bot of antique hunting in Michigan years back. I would find vintage shave brushes with the handles in great shape, cut out the old knot and re-knot it with a new badger. I used the Golden Nib as a source for my knots. They also sell handles.

Welcome to another rabbit hole.

I’ve got a lathe so I can turn my own handles. I’ll look into knots once I know what I want.

Thank you sir.

I know that I like the scrinch. I would like a compromise between the scruffiness and the ability to hold more water/but that probably means a softer bristle so I might be in search of a non-sequitur.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
First off: I’m using the money I saved by avoiding straight razors, stones and strops to fund my brush journey. <eg>

To make it easier, I found a brush I liked and determined what I liked about it. That might be easier said than done but I got lucky.

Then I found a couple people here who like the same things and have been around for a while. Search out the threads they frequent and ask questions. That is one of the joys of B&B. People are incredibly helpful and are even nice when making suggestions. There are tons of brush threads... even brush "months". December boar.... Mistura May Madness, etc.

Those people know who they are………

Last edited:
I’ve got a lathe so I can turn my own handles. I’ll look into knots once I know what I want.

Thank you sir.

I purchased one of their Silvertip Premium as well as their Silvertip Grade A probably 8 years ago and both are still going strong riding in vintage handles. The Premium that I purchased from TGN is my hands down, everyday favorite brush.

Good luck!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Hey Larry,

Anything made of natural materials is all about trying multiples and keeping the ones that suit you better, because what suits you may not be the best for other people. Brushes, natural hones (or even synth hones for that matter), soaps, fragrances, etc. It’s more about you than the thing made of natural materials.

As far as brushes go, having a handle that feels good in your hand is a lot of it for me. And I prefer longer handles, no Chubbies for me. My favorite commercial badger brushes are a Simpsons Keyhole 3, a Simpsons 57 and 59, and a used Paladin Chief that I traded for.

FYI, the top part of a Simpsons Keyhole is not round and it makes a big difference.

If you ever consider a higher-end brush, I would recommend you contact Rudy Vey to make you a brush to suit your needs. He works with you every step of the way. The Shavemac 2-band silvertip is what he predominantly uses, and it is my favorite knot. I also have three Paladins, which are very nice for sure, but the Shavemac 2-band silvertip is king in my book.

Top Bottom