What's new

What’s a high quality non store brand to try?

I typically switch from Sauvage, Terre D’Hermes and Bleu De Chanel. Which I love all three scents.

I am interested in trying a quality, artisan fragrance that in the fragrance world, is highly regarded but maybe less commercially available. Whatcha guys got?

I really like and own all 3 you mentioned.

Maison Francis Kurkdjian makes killer fragrances. I really like Grand Soir, Amyris Homme and Gentle Fluidity Silver. BR540 is more feminine for most, but I love it. It is super famous for a reason. They are pricy, but 35ml bottles can be had for about $100US. They offer 4x2ml samples for €14 shipped which Is credited back off a full bottle purchase.

Tom Ford also has a bunch of excellent ones. Their signature and Resort lines are fairly reasonably priced and ones to try IMO are Ombre Leather, Beau de Jour, Oud Minerale, Noir Extreme and Mandarino di Acqua.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Rania J makes some lovely scents. The Ambre Loop is wonderful, and I also like Oud Assam. She offers a nice variety of sizes, including a 2 ML sample size.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Not to mention you will need to take out a second mortgage to purchase them.:blink:
Oh, I don't know. 100 ML of Creed is over $300, 50 ML of Tom Ford is over $200 and 50ML of the Ambre Loup is only $150. And one spray of the Ambre is enough.

I'm certainly not saying you can't find anything cheaper, but the question was about high quality colognes.

Yea when I looked up Ampre Loup it didn't give me much heartburn. Hell, I have paid more than that for commercial scents at Nordstrom.

Loved Chanel Bleu!
Nice woods and cologne scent!
Definitely need to put it back into the line-up!

aos ocean kelp shavemac kai chanel bleu june 14 2014.jpg

I'm not sure if you would consider them less commercially available or not (depends on where you shop!), but I'm a big fan of Floris and Penhaligon's.

I'm not sure if you would consider them less commercially available or not (depends on where you shop!), but I'm a big fan of Floris and Penhaligon's.
Yea I guess the idea of commercially available is subjective.

I actually just bought two fragrances, Parfumes De Marly Layton, and I was actually able to find a bottle of Raja Dove Oligarch.

Still waiting on Oligarch but Layton is a phenomenal scent.

Zaharoff!!!!

The signature rosè is my overall favorite fragrance ever. Intoxicating and sweet, but not too sweet.

The zaharoff signature is pure class. Woody and classy.

The citrine is awesome for warm weather.

And fwiw, terre d’hermes is one of my favorite fragrances.

D.S. & Durga has some interesting scents. I ordered a discovery set a year ago and enjoyed all the scents. They were mostly Amber oriented in mine with Amber Kiso and a few others I think? St. Vetyver is the one I remember and really enjoyed at the time.

Zoologist make great, complex, quality fragrances. Unfortunately, some of them are a little "out there", making them almost unwearable in real life contexts. That said, Musk Deer (ambrette based musk, smells like a pinetree forest in winter), Koala (airy and summery), Beaver (leathery and aquatic), Macaque (fresh and fruity), are all pretty usable. Sample sets can be ordered from their website.

I don´t know if the ship overseas but this company makes high quality dubs, eau the parfume, oil based, prices ~20 euros for 50ml. Some dutch shavers have tried some and they were excellent. They found them very close to original scents. I ordered a few this week and expect them to come in today.
loris geuren man.png

For a niche scent that would not simply be another Neiman Marcus suggestion, I would take a look at Rogue if you like 80s-style scents (think: Drakkar Noir or Polo Green) or, while maybe slightly more in that Neiman Marcus/Saks realm, Parfums MDCI. Invasion Barbare is flawless. (Histoires de Parfums' 1725 is a far cheaper alternative to IB that has about 93% of the experience, if a less pleasant experience before the drydown.)

Top Bottom