What's new

What's a good vintage DE to try?

The Gillette tech and super speed are my two favorites. You can find them for so cheap too. 10 to 20 bucks. They were very popular for a reason.

Gillette Tech is tough to beat.

++. Like the one in the pic from TFAshaver. A significant influence on so many modern razors. I have a 1938 with a fat handle - a classic.

There is a website somewhere that explains all the different versions of the Tech that is worth checking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1940's or 50's Super Speed is a good vintage starter due to availability, price, and the mild to medium shave it gives.

The 198 (Fatboy) is overrated and pricey due to its' near cult following. I already had Slims, Super Adjustables and a Black Beauty in my accumulation & needed a Fatboy, fabled to be the mother of all shaves. I finally got one - nice condition, priced right (cheap) and promptly delivered.
The morning of the big shave came, and ... it was a disappointment. While it did shave well, there was no magic in it, it was clunky and clumsy to maneuver. Now I better understand why the Slim was its' successor. So, I've got my Fatboy. I've used it with multiple blades and varied settings, but it always comes short of that better shave the Slim, Super Adjustable, any Tech, or Super Speed can provide.
If you crave an adjustable, consider the Slim. It is everything that the Fatboy isnt. The Super Adjustable 109 or 84, and even the Plastic Baseplate Black Beauty, all can shave to perfection, too.

Thanks for all the advice I just bought a 1973 Gillette Super Adjustable Long Handle.

il_794xN.2124489687_pwb1.jpg
il_794xN.2076926276_btdg.jpg

Congrats!! I think you will be happy and it gives you room to see what aggressiveness you like over time.

My other suggestion would be a NEW Short comb. The reason for the short comb is that you have noted elsewhere that you have coarse stubble, and the Short Comb really supports the blade well. Hold off on that until you know what aggressiveness setting you like.

I am pretty sure with these that you want to have the closing mechanism backed off at least a quarter turn before adjusting the setting. This was not obvious at first (at least to me).

I pulled out my Super Adjustable to look at. I have been saving it for my birthday (birth year razor).

It looks to me like it also clamps the blade way out near the edge. You will want to make sure to get it tightened that final quarter turn from what I have read so that it is well secured. Would be curious what others thought regarding blade support and how this razor does??

No more waiting for my Birthday, I am giving this one a try tonight.

Geat Choice! I know you will like it. Do your first shave at setting 3 or 4 just to establish a point where you may want to go higher or lower with a particular blade.

the NEW SC is nicely made and is a smooth shaver. Techs are fine too but the NEW is the high point of Gillette's history in my opinion. Some guys like the TTOs but they just never gave me as good a shave as the 3-piece razors.

I agree. Short of getting another NEW SC, I think I'm done buying razors.

Top Bottom