What's new

What's a good vintage DE to try?

Good advice.

And one day, an OT must be tried...
I've got 2 Old Types. One cracked Ball End handle was too severe to repair so I replaced the tube with brass tubing I nickel plated, a few mm longer than the original. It shaves as good, if not a little smoother than my best Tech.
Ball Handle New Tube R.jpg

Old Type New Handle R.jpg

I started with an injector back in the 70s, so DE is a more recent addiction for me. I am not good at describing things. Stuff tastes good or bad. Notes of wood, etc go right past me. I don't have a clue what color magenta is. The blade is thicker and has less flex. Some describe it as closer to a straight, others say it is in between a cart and a DE. The older razors tend to be more aggressive so maybe that has to do with what razor was tried.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
What’s the purpose of a comb? How does a long perform different from a short comb?
The comb is what protects you from the edge of the blade - the "safety" part of a "safety razor", if you will. The first few Gillette models - Old, New Improved, NEW - all used open combs. The Tech was the first Gillette razor to use a bar (sometimes called "closed comb") instead of an open comb because its cheaper and easier to manufacture. I think a comb definitely helps with longer whiskers. Some guys swear up and down an open comb allows the lather to stay on the skin longer before the blade scrapes it away, making for a smoother shave. Open or closed comb feels the same to me.

Short vs. Long - ah, now that is the question. You will find staunch advocates for both versions of the NEW. As I recall, the Short Comb is slightly more aggressive, but many find the Long Comb the "Goldilocks" perfect balance of smoothness and aggression. You would really need try both to know which one you prefer, but you probably can't go wrong with either. For my part, I keep meaning to get a NEW, but haven't yet because the Ranger Tech stole my heart and hasn't let go yet.

P.S. I second @Telefan 's recommendation of the Red Tip. Despite my infatuation with the Ranger Tech, I would have to admit the Red Tip is my favorite vintage Gillette. For me, it ticks all the boxes - perfect size, perfect weight, perfect level of smoothness and aggression. Its one of the few razors that can deliver me a daily BBS without causing in-growns.

Last edited:
The comb is what protects you from the edge of the blade - the "safety" part of a "safety razor", if you will. The first few Gillette models - Old, New Improved, NEW - all used open combs. The Tech was the first Gillette razor to use a bar (sometimes called "closed comb") instead of an open comb because its cheaper and easier to manufacture. I think a comb definitely helps with longer whiskers. Some guys swear up and down an open comb allows the lather to stay on the skin longer before the blade scrapes it away, making for a smoother shave. Open or closed comb feels the same to me.

Short vs. Long - ah, now that is the question. You will find staunch advocates for both versions of the NEW. As I recall, the Short Comb is slightly more aggressive, but many find the Long Comb the "Goldilocks" perfect balance of smoothness and aggression. You would really need try both to know which one you prefer, but you probably can't go wrong with either. For my part, I keep meaning to get a NEW, but haven't yet because the Ranger Tech stole my heart and hasn't let go yet.

P.S. I second @Telefan 's recommendation of the Red Tip. Despite my infatuation with the Ranger Tech, I would have to admit the Red Tip is my favorite vintage Gillette. For me, it ticks all the boxes - perfect size, perfect weight, perfect level of smoothness and aggression. Its one of the few razors that can deliver me a daily BBS without causing in-growns.

John,

Thanks for explaining about the combs.

You really can't go wrong with most of the vintage Gillettes, it all depends on what you like in a razor, mild or aggressive, etc.

Right now, Red Tips are very reasonable, they used to be more expensive but the price has come down a bit. One thing John didn't mention is the grip, it's perfect too.

While waiting for the Gillette Super Adjustable to arrive I accidentally bought another razor. :ohmy:

I got a Gem Micromatic Open Comb from the 30's. I'm very curious to see how this shaves compared to a DE.

Screenshot 2019-11-15 09.43.24.png
Screenshot 2019-11-15 09.43.06.png
Screenshot 2019-11-15 09.42.49.png

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Top Bottom