What's new

Whats a good pocket knife for under $100?

Ratcheer,
I would kill to be a hard headed 18 year old again but only if I can have the knowledge I now. I hear were you are coming from though I have two girls and do my best to keep them happy which preserves my sanity:biggrin:

I showed him your post and he agreed to keep the plain edge knife.

When he opened the box, he saw that Bench Made offers a free lifetime sharpening service. But, it states that they do not sharpen the serrated part of combo blades. Then, he was very happy with his decision.

Thanks for the advice!

Tim

Tim,
Glad I could help, next thing is for him to get a sharpmaker or Lansky kit to keep that thing sharp himself. I have a couple of Benchmades and have never used the lifesharp service. As for the mini-skirmish, you apparently taught him good taste.
BTW I love how Benchmade can call any knife with a 3.5 inch blade a mini. I have a Mini_Rukus and it is anything but Mini. Especially considering that it is bigger than 90% of the folders out there. Worth every penny I paid for it though. :001_tt1:

I own a Spyderco Tasman, serrated and plain edge. I get the most use out of the plain edge. A great starter Spyderco is their Delica, if you want something that won't rust, their SALT line is great too.

I have a whole boatload of knives, but the one I carry now is a blue pickbone Steel Warrior Doctor Knife by Frost Cutlery.

Looks right out of the 1880s. Thin, reasonable straight blade, square ended (for crushing up pills), spatula (for compounding preparations or counting pills), and pickbone handles available in a variety of colors. I like blue, so it's the one I selected.

Fits in well with my Gus hat, Ariat boots, 550 cord bolo tie, beaded/fringed leather briefcase, leather lockpick case, Jabobssons snus tin, Quiet Comrade pipe, MacBaren leather tobacco pouch, nautical scrimshaw Zippo, steel and leather cigarillo tin, and should all else fail....... my 1851 Navy 44 steel frame revolver (hears spaghetti western music in the background).

Vvalters wrote: "I carry a Frost Cutlery doctor's knife. It's slim, has an attractive handle and bolsters, has a good weight, it's rockwell hardness tested and keeps a good edge. I think it cost me about $20. Frost Cutlery straight razors on the other hand are crap. Stay away from them at all costs. "

I thought the same thing when I saw this thread. I bought one of the straight razors years ago and ended up giving it away. Not so with the doctor's knife. I got the pickbone in blue. Having been a pharmacy tech years ago, I love the little spatula. I got mine from Smoky Mountain Knife Works, a big store in east Tennessee built by a cool guy (Kevin Pipes) that I worked a little while hammering nails for way back in the 1970s. They all used to laugh real hard when I'd hit my thumb with the hammer, and run around in a little circle till the pain subsided.

If I ever get back to TN from way the heck out west here in WA, I hope to look up Kevin. He's really made a fantastic cutlery dynasty since then!

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the good ol' Old Timer? It's small, depending on which model you get, and quite sufficient for whatever you need to use it for.

Men have carried this one for generations, and it has served us well.

"Whatever happened to the good ol' Old Timer?"

It's still apparently being made by the Schrade combine. I always liked Old Timer, as well as Uncle Henry and Case's Sodbuster and Little Sodbuster series. You could get both the Sodbusterss in either high carbon steel or stainless. Somewhere back in storage, I have a few of them, one of the high carbon steel ones, I blued once when I was bluing a black powder rifle barrel. It turned out well.

And, they shipped us the wrong knife. We ordered a 585S with "combo" blade, but they sent a 585 with a plain edge. :frown: Now the hassle of an exchange by mail.

Tim

Tim consider keeping the plain edge, Benchmade's are very easy to sharpen so the plainedge would be much easier to maintain. YMMV.

I know you already purchased a knife, but I wanted to post this in case this thread is looked in on again.

My vote goes to a victorinox locking knife. Having a swiss mother, I have had a victorinox knife since before I was 5 and with some maintenance it's stayed sharp and is still usable. I have another that I carry everyday that I've had since I was 13, that was 8 years ago. It's incredibly useful and has been my go-to carry knife since I was given it. For anyone who's interested it's this model.

However neither of these knifes have locks and I like to not have to think about cutting myself when I'm working. So I recently started to investigate this knife. For the record $62 from the US distributor.

It's an absolutely lovely knife, it has all the tools I use most: knife, bottle opener, corksrew, awl, saw and scissors, as well as a few other handy ones, like screw drivers. It's also sits nicely in my hand, unlike some of the bulkier victorinox knives.

There are three things I love about these knives. The first is the steel, I have treated my knife like crap at times, leaving it wet while camping, etc and it's still rust free. Number two is that these blades hold a silly edge, I sharpened my knife about a month ago, since then it's been carried every day and used for everything, I've also carved 3 walking sticks and done a lot of other work and it's still almost sharp enough to shave arm hair.

However the best thing, in my opinion, about all these knives is that you can send them to victorinox for servicing, for free. They will clean, oil, fix and sharpen everything and send it back. All you pay is postage to them!

I hope you find this useful.

I carry a Frost Cutlery doctor's knife. It's slim, has an attractive handle and bolsters, has a good weight, it's rockwell hardness tested and keeps a good edge. I think it cost me about $20.

Frost Cutlery straight razors on the other hand are crap. Stay away from them at all costs.

I have a whole boatload of knives, but the one I carry now is a blue pickbone Steel Warrior Doctor Knife by Frost Cutlery.

Looks right out of the 1880s. Thin, reasonable straight blade, square ended (for crushing up pills), spatula (for compounding preparations or counting pills), and pickbone handles available in a variety of colors. I like blue, so it's the one I selected.

Fits in well with my Gus hat, Ariat boots, 550 cord bolo tie, beaded/fringed leather briefcase, leather lockpick case, Jabobssons snus tin, Quiet Comrade pipe, MacBaren leather tobacco pouch, nautical scrimshaw Zippo, steel and leather cigarillo tin, and should all else fail....... my 1851 Navy 44 steel frame revolver (hears spaghetti western music in the background).

Vvalters wrote: "I carry a Frost Cutlery doctor's knife. It's slim, has an attractive handle and bolsters, has a good weight, it's rockwell hardness tested and keeps a good edge. I think it cost me about $20. Frost Cutlery straight razors on the other hand are crap. Stay away from them at all costs. "

I thought the same thing when I saw this thread. I bought one of the straight razors years ago and ended up giving it away. Not so with the doctor's knife. I got the pickbone in blue. Having been a pharmacy tech years ago, I love the little spatula. I got mine from Smoky Mountain Knife Works, a big store in east Tennessee built by a cool guy (Kevin Pipes) that I worked a little while hammering nails for way back in the 1970s. They all used to laugh real hard when I'd hit my thumb with the hammer, and run around in a little circle till the pain subsided.

If I ever get back to TN from way the heck out west here in WA, I hope to look up Kevin. He's really made a fantastic cutlery dynasty since then!

OK, you two piqued my curiosity and I had to look up a "doctor's knife". I used Doc Richard's recommended Smoky Mountain Knife site for a peek. Interesting enough for consideration for addition to the fold.

Great looking handle options as well as interesting blades. A few questions raised:

• Doc R, is yours the "Cancun Blue"?
  • Vvalters, which handle option did you choose?
  • If I'm not smashing pills, do you have another real world use for the flat tipped/spatula blade? I thought about spreading peanut butter, but can't tell if the blade has enough depth.

I also noticed the Mustang USA Doctor's Knife, also from Frost Cutlery. Oddly enough though it says USA, the description lists it as imported. Anyone know imported from where?

The Steel Warrior does not show to be imported. Is it made in the U.S.?

Im really loving the Kershaw Skyline i bought last week. Its been getting pretty heavy use at work opening boxes, cuting plastic zip ties....etc and its still razor sharp! I still may pick up a Spyderco Tenacious later on down the road to se how it compares but I think the Skyline is going to be my new at work utility knife. Which means ill just have to buy myself a new tactical/EDC blade for use outside of work. For this knife id like something that can be used in emergency self defence role but can also pull utility duty. You guys were a great help when it came to chosing a new work knife any ideas for a tactical blade?

fsatsil,
If it's going to be your pocket queen, and only pull occasional use save up and get a knife that'll wow the knife nuts you may know. I do and would go with Benchmade for this role. Plenty of great knifes for under $200 , personally I would go Mini-Rukus, great looking, solid, and more than able to use to unjam yourself from a jam. Being a knife nut , I also have an auto -presidio, stryker assisted opener, and a CQC-7. Benchmades rock, pick one that calls out to your inner knife lover and you will be happy. If you need instant gratification get a Kershaw second off the bay, I got my Blur there for about $40 delivered. The only difference between my blur and anyone else's is I paid less and it has 4 x's struck on the blade to show it's status as a second. Which just goes to show there quality control, they reject knives that are perfect to the naked eye.:w00t:

Top Bottom